MPI mega squirt install

Ffeog1

ok so im building my motor and multi port manifold and have ahold of mega squirt standalone. now here is my question, If i install mega squirt on my car and don't use the factory harness what about the other random thing in the engine bay, fuse box, lights and what not that runs with the main harness. i want to keep those futurities obviously but want to get rid of the un used. if there is a step by step or something i would love the info.... please and thank you Edited by Ffeog1

yes that's correct. I marked those wires.

oil pressure.

temp gauge

starter wire

mark those or put a zip tie on them to make a note to save them.

then remove the harness and unwrap it so those 3 wires can either

be reused (what I did) or you know what and where they go and replace

them.

The starter wire in the engine harness would be pretty important. ;)

That wire, next to the battery is simply taped up inside the engine harness, very easily taken out. It's only a couple inches long. The b38 connector just needs oil pressure and coolant temp hooked up. Also a good place to pick up power for ms.

• 2 weeks later...
The stock distributor provides a variable reluctance signal that can work well for a tach input. If you want full standalone it works for spark too if you keep the distributor. It won't work for a sequential setup as there is no TDC signal.

The easiest would be to get a dizzy from a 4G64. They require a 1/4" spacer and light fabbing but will bolt into a G54B. The benefit is that dizzy has cas/cam. Meaning it outputs a crank and cam position signal. With that you can run sequential injection and individual coils.

• 4 months later...
Okay so heres where im at. i got a VR sensor on my pully and a VR conditioner for megasquirt 2 v2.2. so if i run the stock distributor to control spark with msd6al is the vr sensor going to just control Fuel? i guess im stuck because i cant seem to get spark when i have the coil hooked up to battery just to test. Any ideas?

If I understand you correctly than yes. The MS install will be fuel only if you are leaving the stock distributor intact and using the MSD box. All MS needs to see from the crack sensor is a tach input.

If all of the stock ignition components are still there you should have spark. Is your MSD connected like this?

http://www.starquestclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=58296

No I have none of the stock harness. Would it be easier to cut my stock harness up and put back together? I feel like the board I have (v2.2) isn't really good so if I could you stock for spark with help of msd that would be fine. Or maybe edis? I'm not sure eat this point. I know you said before you recommend another distributer. If I get that can I just throw the vr crap away and set my ms up straight to it?

If it were me I'd keep the VR stuff, lock the dizzy advances and run full ignition control, let MS control the MSD. Crank trigger (VR stuff on the pulley) is the best. If you want to email me your tune file for a check over PM me.

If it were me I'd keep the VR stuff, lock the dizzy advances and run full ignition control, let MS control the MSD. Crank trigger (VR stuff on the pulley) is the best. If you want to email me your tune file for a check over PM me.

Now is there any way you could send me a base tune? Or do you need me to set one up and send to you for input? Also I'm not quite sure my vr condioner is working properly.