The Terrible Trailer Trials and Tribulations

David Adams

Sooo, my car has only been lowered about an inch and a half and I scrape bad getting onto a U-Haul Trailer. I know the simple answer is to not use a U-Haul trailer but I was wondering if any lowered quests had any tips for getting on and off these beasts. My coilovers will be here next month and before I ruin my airdam any further, I would like to see if there are any ways to try to preserve it as much as possible, LOL!

Thanks gang.

Get some boards and place them on the ground under the tips of the ramps. They should be long enough that your front tires are completly on the board before the air dam contacts the ramp. Two boards about 3 feet long should be fine. You could use 2x4, 1 x6 or 2x6

I'm a U haul user and fellow bronie! I use the trailer dolly and crank it down as far as it will go still hooked to the truck. The n I use my home made 2x12 ramps under each trailer ramp. I need the wooden ramp just to get a jack under my car so I'm low. Very simple to make. It's 2- 2x12 doubled up. Lower one is 3feet long and the upper is 1.5 foot long. I'll get pics when I head to the dyno on the 26o april Edited by starquestJOE

A lot of wood, I mean a lot! Even loading onto a flatbed tow truck it's no walk in the park. I use wood to get it off the ground to load on my tow truck and I only have ST springs.

Damn, thanks so much guys. I'll have to try to pick some up after this event. I'll be on the road by 6AM so there's no time to stop at Home D-Pot but I'll definitely give that a go. I haven't even lowered my car yet and I'm already struggling and it's just the front air dam. If I was brave enough to back onto the trailer I could make it just fine, LOL! I can't imagine what it's going to be like when I'm actually running a full suspension tune.

I should buy a trailer with a flat surface but my problem is I have no where to store it. My community would blow a fuse if they saw a car trailer permanently parked outside. :(

Thanks for the advice again everyone, it means a bunch.

Oh and StarquestJOE /)

Boards! I have a 16' flatbed trailer with a dovetail meant for low pro cars and still my cars can't get onto it... In addition to the trailer ramps I cut a 2x8x10 in half and made helper ramps and they work like a charm. My car has an eibach pro kit and the jz swap also added weight to the front making it even lower, its close, but gets on no problem.

http://i1093.photobucket.com/albums/i430/jeph_tsi/Mobile%20Uploads/20140330_144922_zps24d3e32d.jpg

http://i1093.photobucket.com/albums/i430/jeph_tsi/Mobile%20Uploads/p_00438_zpsc9ae6f20.jpg

Another trick I saw Phil use at a meet once was to use old fashion metal wheel ramps for the back tires of the truck. Raising the back of the truck willl lower end of the trailer.

x2 to this ^ , i saw John/Convette do the same thing last time he was here in Vegas , backed his tow vehicle up and onto a pair of old school steel ramps which in turn dropped the rear of his trailer waaaay down letting him load up his lowered Conquest with ease , i was "now why didn't i ever think of doing that ? " as iv'e been doing the super long plank thing for years , jacking the tongue up is also a good idea. :)

Boards! I have a 16' flatbed trailer with a dovetail meant for low pro cars and still my cars can't get onto it... In addition to the trailer ramps I cut a 2x8x10 in half and made helper ramps and they work like a charm. My car has an eibach pro kit and the jz swap also added weight to the front making it even lower, its close, but gets on no problem.

http://i1093.photobucket.com/albums/i430/jeph_tsi/Mobile%20Uploads/20140330_144922_zps24d3e32d.jpg

http://i1093.photobucket.com/albums/i430/jeph_tsi/Mobile%20Uploads/p_00438_zpsc9ae6f20.jpg

ok great idea but the 4" support bar needs to be

so the top can rest under the

U-Haul ramp

also make sure the spare tow hitch is removed,, it' there so they can tow more then one trailer at a time ,, but you can bet it will catch on the sub frame

Ramps under the truck tires like Scotty said. My car is pretty low, plus I have the front splitter that sticks out another 5" from the air damn. It juuust touches the ground loading/unloading. You can buy the plastic ramps at any autoparts store.

Once I read what Scotty said, I knew that's the idea I wanted to try. That sounds so simple yet it's so ingenious that I can't believe I didn't think about it.

I'll give that a go next time :)

i have eibach's so i use long 2x12's also. braced they have plenty of support but i'll have to try the rear truck tire ramp thing. it might be easier AND if you need ramps during a track day or when someone's terd breaks at a meet those are safer than jackstands ;) forgot to add, i also hinged the drivers side fender so i could open the door once on the trailer :huh: Edited by OLIVE8