Got some Iridium Plugs cheap

Lizzord30

I may not remember this correctly, but I feel reading that copper is best for forced induction motors?

I do know that copper is the most conductive metal and provides the best output. It comes at the expense of longetivity. I personally wouldnt run them. People think modern iridium plugs are better when they just last longer. Makes sence on a car where you need 4 hours to change plugs, not a quest where it can be done in 15 minutes. Change them once a year for all it matters, NGK plugs cost like $10 a set.

The problem with those iridium or platinum plugs is that that are more prone to broken electrodes. On forced induction this becomes more apparent because we are far more likely to experience detonation than an NA engine. Detonation is what breaks the plugs. A broken electrode bouncing around in your cylinder is NFG! Copper is soft and takes the abuse well but like said, it wears quicker so it needs attention every now and again which is a piece of cake on the G54. IMO anything but good 'Ol NGK coppers is not worth the risk.

I'm running the RX-7 plugs. I've been very pleased with them. They're a bit slow on warm up. Once warm, hold on! I read somewhere on this site that multiple prong plugs decrease the chance of spark blow out under boost.

The problem with those iridium or platinum plugs is that that are more prone to broken electrodes. On forced induction this becomes more apparent because we are far more likely to experience detonation than an NA engine. Detonation is what breaks the plugs. A broken electrode bouncing around in your cylinder is NFG! Copper is soft and takes the abuse well but like said, it wears quicker so it needs attention every now and again which is a piece of cake on the G54. IMO anything but good 'Ol NGK coppers is not worth the risk.

Coppers are also recommended in the supercharged 3800 world were detonation is the engine killer.

I had great success with NGK BKR8EIXs (iridium) at 480 wheel. Lasted a year at 22-30psi of boost from a 30R. I also didnt let my car detonate like a baby rattle Edited by RonnieJ

I've been running Iridiums on my CSRT4 for 4 yrs at 15 lbs boost with no problems. I'm currently on the second set and see no reason not to continue using them on a boosted motor. I was thinking of switching to them on the Conquest, but wasn't sure which to use...any advice on a 20psi motor?

I have had iridiums in the 2.6 with no issues. Also in my 2003 GSXR with lots of miles and no issues. Currently using ngk 7031 and those are the best overall for idle quality on stock coil and ignition. The iridiums I use where with an msd 6al box and blaster 2 coil so they had some help but also say a lot more spark voltage being shoved through them and they held up. I really cant see a problem with the iridium plugs, lots of people saying they are no good for boost but I am not on board with that. Edited by JohnnyWadd