About To Go Postal On USPS

NikoFab

So I went to my local USPS branch to ship Neil and Gormz's coilovers. They measure. I fill out customs work and pay for them. I get a receipt. Total cost $582 and some change.

Get a call on Wednesday. There's a problem with the shipping...could I please come by to rectify the situation. Sure thing no problem. I figured maybe I filled something out wrong.

I get there and I'm told that the packages are too big...over the dimensional limit...they cant ship them. I said that's ridiculous...and showed them the receipts of the three sets I've shipped with them before. They get the supervisor who explains to me that their dimensional limit is 79 cubic inches, and that my packages are 80 cubic inches. I say again this is ridiculous.

Ok so how do I go about getting my money back? I'm sorry sir, once the packages for international shipments have been processed at the regional hub, there is no refund. I ask, where is the regional hub? We are the regional hub sir. What?! So the packages haven't even left the building and you're keeping my money? Im sorry sir.

Fine give me my packages back. Sir you must fill out this shipment cancellation form, for which there is a fee. I say...give me my packages now...and stick your fee where the sun don't shine. We need you to fill out the form first sir. I say...the packages have not hit customs yet, therefore have not crossed international lines, therefore are not subject to customs cancellation fees. Or would you like me to call the Sherriffs office and have a constable come down here and read that from your own form?

So I got my packages back, but lost nearly $600 and have to find another way to ship which I'll have to pay for too. And they wonder why the USPS is failing. I'll never use them again.

DUDE! I feel ya! The closest USPS location for me, is in the Podunk little town I live by. They don't even offer the "if-it-fits-it-ships-for-one-low-price" boxes. Anyway, I go in with a SQ grille packaged in a 6"X6"x52" box... I carried it into the office with one hand. She sets if on the scale and types in the zip and the dimensions... "Sorry, sir, we can't ship this, it's too big." "What? It weighs almost nothing... Why can't you ship it?" "It's too long". So, I grabbed my package, headed for the door, and said "No wonder y'all are going bankrupt... I'll go someplace that wants my business."

I went from a 5 mile, quick trip to the shipper, to deciding wether to drive 15 miles and go to a UPS Store and pay a premium for shipping fees, or drive 30 miles to go to the UPS hub and get better rates but waste a bunch of gas.

Edited by Burton

Gotta love it. My personal favorite is when there is a line out the door and only one person working the counter even though you can see 15 people sitting at a table in the break room. I once waited 45 min in line while other employees walk around behind the counter, finally one of them opened another spot on the counter. I can't believe that they would not give you a refund.

International shipping has turned into a mess and more trouble than it's worth, We are know to ship items fast, but on international shipments many have gotten tied up in what I would assume to be customs and I have customers get very impatient about it and even file paypal claims. Not worth it so we have pretty much given up on international shipping... maybe north sometimes.

Dad

Yeah, I won't even consider doing International stuff. I sent a set of SHPs to the UK once, but that guy payed me a bunch extra to make it worth the hassle.

I've run into this problem before with USPS and international shipping. The biggest problem is that each country has maximum package size limits that they'll accept, based on longest dimension + girth, which has to be less than the threshold value set for each country.

We've shipped things to New Zealand that are deems "too big" for Australia..... it's crazy and not worth the effort in many cases.

I feel ya Nick , iv'e got a couple of USPS PRIORITY boxes floating around the U.S i shipped out just before Xmas containing fog lights for a couple of the guys here , i carefully packed them but it was a tight fit with the packing and getting them in the boxes ,i think this is why they have yet to arrive and probably heading back to me in Vegas , i shipped out 5 sets , 3 guys got theirs and two didn't and as i type i'm on the phone to the P.O . :(

Dude sorry to hear that... HEll, they wouldn;t send one of my packages out because the "ship date" was off by a day. I printed my labels and boxed the stuff up at around 11:00PM the night before and they said they'd do it only this once.

Bunch of D-Bags!

-N8

I went to the usps as well to get a quote for shipping a set of hard pipes to germany. I take the box unsealed

just in case they wanted to see. The box contained 2 pipes,hks bypass valve,couplers i was quoted $75.00

i emailed the buy he said it's a go. So i sealed the box put a couple more sheets of paper in the box before

sealing it. I go back to the post office to ship now i'm told they can't ship it box demensions to big. I say what

you just quoted me on shipping they send me to there main shipping hub.I get there fill out the declaration

paper and here comes the tape measure and scale price to send $135.00 and no tracking #. I emailed the buyer

and told him what happened box doesn't arrive like they say in 15 days. I emailed the buyer to check on his end

no luck. just before we made contact he filed a claim with paypal you gotta be kidding. I then gave him the # 0n the declaration the date and my info as well finally tracked the box down sitting in customs.He got that five days later

and the paypal claim was settled learned my lesson fast.

yea. I was shipping some bike tins to my buddy in NC a few years ago. Look on the usps website for dimentions and how to measure the boxes. Figure I'm good. get to the local po and the guy measures the box completely different than I did.

LxWxH = cubic in... they measure L x the entire end of the box = wt........... sorry this is too big. I just looked at the guy and told him either you or your website is wrong. then took them to UPS. no problems.

Feel bad they ripped you 600 bucks. That sux

Edited by 87redcat

time for a lawyer , you were charged for a service they did not perform , no service why a charge

or at least the BBB , altho that is sure to be a bust I imagine they have 100's of thousands of complains just seting there

but many lawyers will write a letter for a minimal fee , may be worth looking into

International shipping has turned into a mess and more trouble than it's worth, We are know to ship items fast, but on international shipments many have gotten tied up in what I would assume to be customs and I have customers get very impatient about it and even file paypal claims. Not worth it so we have pretty much given up on international shipping... maybe north sometimes.

Dad

Yeah, I won't even consider doing International stuff. I sent a set of SHPs to the UK once, but that guy payed me a bunch extra to make it worth the hassle.

I'm getting to that point myself. It's just not worth the time and hassle. That sucks cause I like being able to take care of people's needs, but not at the expense of losing money in the deal.

I've run into this problem before with USPS and international shipping. The biggest problem is that each country has maximum package size limits that they'll accept, based on longest dimension + girth, which has to be less than the threshold value set for each country.

We've shipped things to New Zealand that are deems "too big" for Australia..... it's crazy and not worth the effort in many cases.

Here's the thing Tim...both these packages were to Australia. All three of my last international packages were to...Australia. So what's changed?

I feel ya Nick , iv'e got a couple of USPS PRIORITY boxes floating around the U.S i shipped out just before Xmas containing fog lights for a couple of the guys here , i carefully packed them but it was a tight fit with the packing and getting them in the boxes ,i think this is why they have yet to arrive and probably heading back to me in Vegas , i shipped out 5 sets , 3 guys got theirs and two didn't and as i type i'm on the phone to the P.O . :(

The other crazy part of it is that it took them two days to call me and let me know. I dropped them on Monday. Got the call on Wednesday.

That's ridiculous man. Just another reason why I DO NOT use USPS. I use UPS and FedEx.

I use FedEx for North America, but outside of that USPS has been cheaper in the past. Unfortunately I'm going to have to charge more for international from here on out, just so I don't have to use USPS any more.

yea. I was shipping some bike tins to my buddy in NC a few years ago. Look on the usps website for dimentions and how to measure the boxes. Figure I'm good. get to the local po and the guy measures the box completely different than I did.

LxWxH = cubic in... they measure L x the entire end of the box = wt........... sorry this is too big. I just looked at the guy and told him either you or your website is wrong. then took them to UPS. no problems.

Feel bad they ripped you 600 bucks. That sux

That's another thing. I called them ahead of time with the dimensions and weight and they quoted me the prices. I actually gave them dimensions that totaled 81 cubic inches...more than what they measured...and nothing was said to me at all about the over-size issue.

time for a lawyer , you were charged for a service they did not perform , no service why a charge

or at least the BBB , altho that is sure to be a bust I imagine they have 100's of thousands of complains just seting there

but many lawyers will write a letter for a minimal fee , may be worth looking into

You have to fight that nick.....I would get the law up in that complain....

I have an attorney friend that's going to send them a letter on his firm's letterhead.