kidjc

Last new car I purchased was a 2003' Chevy Extreme S-10 Pickup, kept it a couple of years, stuck w/ my older car craze.

My question: If you were to look to purchase a new car now, up to say the very high side of MSRP 50K, what would you think about buying? Not a front wheel drive person @ all. Appreciate all wheel drive, but too expensive for the most part to maintain, so w/ this in mind: RWD only. Naturally, I would like some performance, but need a little bit of back seat room. Possibly a coupe, but most likely a sedan. Automatic, done w/traffic & shift'n. There is SOOooooo much out there in this price range, it boggles the mind! To me... most are just spin-offs of something else. Appreciate input, as I'm just not a "New Car" kinda guy! THANX!

Edited by kidjc

My list.

03 or 04 Terminator cobra.

Evo or sti but they are awd.

I like the newer scion frs and Subaru brz.

Nothing else really sticks out in my mind. Stay away from the ford fusion. My brother in law just won a better business bureau arbitration for ford to buy his back because of all its problems. 3 trannys and the entire coolant system in the first 3200 miles and ford still fought them on it rather than do the right thing. They just offered an extended warranty rather than buy that car back and sell him a new gt mustang, so now none of our family will buy ford again.

BC_99

Caddy CTS or CTS-V (although the V might be pushing the $50k limit). The wife has been eyeing one of those for a while now, and will be getting one of those or the ATS in the next year or so.

I've always liked the Charger/300C, but they're very heavy cars and thus don't perform as well as they should. CTS-V is also a really good option.

If you'd rather an import, I really like the IS350 and the Genesis. I hear the Genesis is pretty nice actually.

Wife has a nice VW Passat CC. 2.0torbo. gets 40 mpg. all leather and for the $$$ she spent she has a total protection on the car.

rip the seat, they fix it free. scratch the pain, fixed free. spill makeup on the carpet, fixed free. mech issues... free... I sat there when she was signing the papers, salesman going over all this... I was like a puppy dog... so happy I didnt have to work on another car...

Lotus Exige all day. The prices are coming down below 50k and even some last generation Dodge Vipers are in that price range.

edit: noticed you said you wanted something with a back seat. my two options won't help with that much.

Edited by PSiTSi

Been trying to get my wife in a CTS-V for over 2 years:( We drove several sedans and she kept pitching that she HAD to have her SUV for room. So Caddy brought in the CTS-V wagon and she complained it was too low to the ground....lol. But to get in the $50k range it would have to be used. Hard to beat the Caddy in all-around awesome factor.

Infinity G37 or G37S (if you want to haul your family) is what I'd buy with your parameters. It's within the price range, and ranks #3 behind the Cadillac CTS and BMW 4-series, but it ranks #1 in driving performance. I've always loved the styling of these too.

G models are gone. Q50 replaces them, but most of the press so far is very disappointed with the drive by wire steering. As far as the Lexus GS350 F goes, it's only 115 hp down on the CTS V sport. Nice, but not even close. I think the real question is: is there any certain brands you don't want? New cars are like consumer electronics. They are all nice and all have flaws somehow. Lot's of new items coming on the market this year in this price range, so it will be really up to your taste. Is it absolute performance you desire? Something flashy? Or is understated more your thing? Go onto site like Autotrader and plug in some numbers and see what catches your eye man. I'm sure whatever you end up with will be a nice ride. Edited by Leeintheconquest

My list.

03 or 04 Terminator cobra.

Evo or sti but they are awd.

I like the newer scion frs and Subaru brz.

Nothing else really sticks out in my mind. Stay away from the ford fusion. My brother in law just won a better business bureau arbitration for ford to buy his back because of all its problems. 3 trannys and the entire coolant system in the first 3200 miles and ford still fought them on it rather than do the right thing. They just offered an extended warranty rather than buy that car back and sell him a new gt mustang, so now none of our family will buy ford again.

BC_99

Got a Cobra Stang BC... & the Scion is nice, but WAY too small! Had sorta thought about a Genesis Coupe, very nice, but again... it's more or less like the Stang. Want more of a cruiser, room for a couple car seats in the back.

spend a little more than 50k and get the tesla model s.....or order the model X now and wait 1+ years for delivery

"A "Lil More???"

I'd look at the Hyundai genesis sedan r spec (5.0 v8, close to 430 HP). Especially if you don't mind buying slightly used, they are available for low to mid 30s with under 30k miles if I remember correctly.

The 5.0 starts @ 47K+ new Beautiful, may be too steep, but certainly an option! Want NEW, don't mind last years new, but those don't hang around, nor do they discount! Been look'n @ the 3.8, in the "lil coupe, it's nice, but like the Stang... now in the sedan... VERY Nice!

Edited by kidjc

i like the

Audi S4 or S6

BMW M3

Chrysler SRT-8

CTS-V

​Good list! Love the Audi's (too high on maintenance) The M3 is "Up There in price," Maybe a Chyrsler? Good list, Thanx!

Is a truck out of the question? $50k will buy you a mean 2wd pickup.

Yhea, really don't want a truck... & 50K is really push'n resourses... it would have to "love me?"

Lexus GS350. End of story. You really wanna be a bad,GS350 F. Your looking at about $60,000 for the F, but it's the same as the V.

As I said: @ 50K... it'd have to love me!