Get an alignment... end up with a blown headgasket...

mistapickles

I'm glad they're stepping up and taking care of this. Their fault, your fault, guess it depends on the point of view. I'd think it dangerous to leave a running car on an elevated lift. If they were worried abou the battery they could've charged it once they brought the car down. Just my 2.6 cnets. Along similar lines...When I bought my 87 Starion from a "mechanic" friend of mine he had the fans on a switch. Said something was wrong with the sensors and the switch was easier than fixing them. From day 1 I wasn't comfortable with this. I know how easily I can get distracted and I worried about overheating. I drove like that for some time, but once I picked up a parts car and had the freedom to experiment I found that the sensors were fine, but the radiator's lower tank had so much muck in it the hot coolant wasn't getting to them. Swapped the radiator out and everything was fine. I also found out that when he wired the fans he wired them in reverse....meaning they were blowing out to the front of the car. It was about that moment I stopped referring people to him for service.

If the guy wants his fans on a switch, who cares? Putting on a bigger turbo or a MBC is changing the car from stock and can damage the car without proper prep. But I bet most of you guys have also done some of those things. Quit hating on the guy, and put yourself in his shoes for a minute, you all would be mad as hell if something like this happened to you. It could have happened to anyone with any number of things. Running a car while its on a lift at any point in time is just negligent. The vibration alone could cause it to fall off the lift. If the tech was lazy enough to leave it running, he probably didn't take the time to lock the arms in place or put safety stands under the car. Dad, I would think you especially, might be sympathetic to a vehicle being left on a lift in some careless fashion. Didn't you post about one of your vehicles falling off a lift at a shop a while back? Who cares if the battery died while it was there, like stated before, it gives the shop the chance to sell a battery. Or, worse case the guy has to put a battery charger on it for a couple of minutes to start it. I'm pretty sure they could at least figure out that before they had to push start it in the parking lot. But maybe not, the guy did leave it idling on a lift for 30+ minutes, so his credibility is already in the tank in my opinion.

BC_99

edit:

Pickles, I'm glad they are making it right for you. That is the "right" thing for them to do in this case. Don't sweat the haters, it ain't worth the time.

Edited by BC_99
  • Like 1

I'm confused as to why I don't agree with you it makes me a hater?

No reason for the name calling.

In any event, glad your car will be fixed, I had not considered the OSHA aspect.

At the end of the day this just reinforces my opinion about MANY shop out there today... incompetence runs rampant, almost as much as greed does.

The one and only shop I go to I have known the owner for 30+ years.

yea I agree with Andy, Now I'm a hater.. geez. and BC, there is nothing I did that contributed to my truck falling off the lift, other than bringing it there. My fans operated normally, now if they weren't operating and blew a gasket thats a different story???? perhaps, this can go all different directions, we don;t even know if pickles had his fans running on the way there- gasket could have been on it's way out. Be nice to hear the other sides of the story- some places just give in to avoid a hassle.. whatever- Merry Christmas folks.

Dad

Thank you BC_99... Not because what the haters would think, that you're siding with me but thank you for getting it, that it's just a rant.

AndyW you're a hater because what I wrote had nothing to do with agreeing or disagreeing with it, it was about something that happened and you tried to change it into something that could be judged by you, like the other haters. You and the other haters wanted to cast judgement because that means control over the situation and the people involved. Let me clear this up for you and the other haters... You have no control over this or any other situation. You probably barely have control over your own lives and your opinion means nothing...

Dad... Your car was damaged by a negligent act of a mechanic??? LMAO!!!!!! I'm sure you'll say they aren't the same but seeing how the manager of the shop where I went said his guy was negligent and I'm sure you're saying the guy that dumped your vehicle is negligent, you're not only a hater but a hypocrite... Did you play that video yet?

The fact is the only person in this thread spewing hateful remarks is you mistapickles. Yes everyone voiced their opinions but nobody was happy to see any damage come to your car. It seems that you believe anytime someone disagrees with you they are attacking you which is simply not the case. You posted your story on a public forum and in the BS section no less and you got peoples opinion. Deal with it like an adult instead of like this.
  • Like 1

Dad... Your car was damaged by a negligent act of a mechanic??? LMAO!!!!!! I'm sure you'll say they aren't the same but seeing how the manager of the shop where I went said his guy was negligent and I'm sure you're saying the guy that dumped your vehicle is negligent, you're not only a hater but a hypocrite... Did you play that video yet?

I consider it damaged more by accident than negligence, Now if I was driving it around at night with just one headlight, then I would consider that being negligent. :D Or if I had My fans on a switch and had a mechanic drive the car onto a rack and I did not turn the fans on or let the mechanic know they were on a switch then who would be considered negligent??........ You ever think that he might take it for a test drive?//////

Edited by Dad

Just be glad there is no snow in Vegas. I am sure if there was a slip and fall at the WalMart it would be no fault of your own. Btw go to McDonald's and get you a nice hot cup of coffee. just everybody wants something for nothing these days. and pickles I am not hating just when it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck,,, I call it a duck. so laugh it up. since our little pathetic opinion's don't count in your baller status life. and Merry Christmas.

If he would have taken it for a test drive it never would have over heated... And I'm not ballin nor is this an accident, think of how many times you got your tires changed and they left it running for the hell of it? And how much does your opinion affect the outcome of this situation? So yeah... I'm done here. Merry Christmas and I'd hope a happy new year but we all know you're gonna find fault in everything so I know I'm being g optimistic for you.

The fact is the only person in this thread spewing hateful remarks is you mistapickles. Yes everyone voiced their opinions but nobody was happy to see any damage come to your car. It seems that you believe anytime someone disagrees with you they are attacking you which is simply not the case. You posted your story on a public forum and in the BS section no less and you got peoples opinion. Deal with it like an adult instead of like this.

finally some one states the ovious , and this is not the first time, pickles has taken the time to express his opnion and then belittle all those that don't agree with him ,I guess he don't even realize he does it but that not the issue , the mechanic while not using his best judgement should have turned your engine off , he was only trying to charge your battery up a little but in fact that was not gona help,, if running the engine would have helped the car would started on its own on the drive to the shop , he should have left the battery dead and offered to charge the battery for #15 or $20 bucks as per shops policy

I'm always amazed at how easy it is for people to belittle shops and or mechanics , while it's deff true that some are not as good as they should be and others are just plain crooks ,the same can be said about people in every profession , if you do not like the level of service you received tell the owner or do not go back to the same shop or DO the work your self , do you realy think Doctors are any different , be leave me they are not any better

who is it you think have donates 1000's of hours trying to help you newbies learn how to work on your car ( plumbers , Lawyers ) :) NO those same crooked mechanics you all hate

people have the right to wire their in any way or form they want,, that's exactly right , but in this case the way the cars fans were wired and the owners failure to tell the mechanic this was the direct reason the engine over heated , this was enevitable sooner or later it was gon'a happen if not at a shop it would have been a friend , wife , or even the owner himself and it don't matter what you say my 40 years of dealing with this sort of thing tells me other wise

this time you were very lucky you found a shop willing to go above and beyond , their responsibility's

to fix your cars head gasket , most shops would tell you it was your own fault for not having the rad fans able to run , and in court they would win the case if it went to court , So count your self VERY lucky , and the last thing you need to do is bad mouth this shop

and please stop with this Haters name calling , just because some one trys to give you proper advice on how things should have been wired does not mean they are haters but just the opposite , if they didn't care they would simply not say any thing and alow you to go on about your half way of doing things as normal

• Like 1

who is it you think have donates 1000's of hours trying to help you newbies learn how to work on your car ( plumbers , Lawyers ) :) NO those same crooked mechanics you all hate

i got that point a lot earlier in the thread than you think and judging by how vehemently they're defending their fellow "crooked" mechanic who was too lazy to sell me a new battery, ask for help or even offer to wire my car correctly after the fact, I see this is fruitless. Some mechanics have excuses and some fix cars.

BC, there is nothing I did that contributed to my truck falling off the lift, other than bringing it there. My fans operated normally, now if they weren't operating and blew a gasket thats a different story???? perhaps, this can go all different directions, we don;t even know if pickles had his fans running on the way there- gasket could have been on it's way out. Be nice to hear the other sides of the story- some places just give in to avoid a hassle.. whatever- Merry Christmas folks.

Dad

The point was simple.. That is all that pickles did wrong, also. He took it to a shop that lets negligent tech's work on customer vehicles. The tech never should have left his car running on a lift, PERIOD! That was 100% negligent, and the only proven reason the car is now damaged. It was damaged because of this direct action. Whether the fans are on a switch or not is a moot point, because the car never should have been left running. I see a lot of assumptions being made by folks in this thread. Like Pickles driving at night with one headlight, the car was already having HG issues, the tech was charging the battery by running the car, I don't see any proof of any of these things or any of the other assuming statements that have been made on this thread. Im very disappointed in this community for reacting in this manner to a member looking for support from this small community. This whole thing is really no different than importwarrior's car being hit in a parking lot by the guys truck with the remote starter. It was a careless mistake by another person that damaged one of the cars we all care so much for. How is this point being lost on so many of you?

BC_99

Yeah, well, nobody, not even the manager at the shop thought I had any culpability in this. Because A. You don't need the engine on to check the suspension. B. It violates OSHA rules running a smoking vehicle exposing other employees to carbon monoxide. C. It was a violation of the company's policy, basically being lazy as he'll not turning a car off in a shop full of mechanics to avoid rolling a car out of a shop...

Let's look at the class acts who understood it was a rant and not an appeal for an opinion. UCW458 (at first), louswheel01, TexasQuest, scott87star, cloud1918, Convette, viper1355, starion86esi, johnnywadd, diamonstar87, vbrad511 and every other person who maybe did think it was my fault in some fashion but chose not to comment because what happened to me sucked enough already... Sooo I'm going to quote a verse from the 3LW classic "playas gonna play" circa 2000... Haterz gonna hate...

To all those non-haters who commented and also didn't comment, thank you. And to the haters that did, I'll just leave you to continue living "your" life...

I didn't comment to hate, just saying that I had offered in a similar situation do to a similar decision. My professional specialty is insuring high uptime on large scale computer systems. Removal of the human from the equation is the best way to insure uptime. Anytime a human has to interfere to handle a standard running process, you have the possibility that they won't or will do so improperly. Their required input could slip their mind. They could just not realize they needed to. Getting rid of such situations mitigates failure.

Should the tech put a running car on the lift? No. he shouldn't have. That is dumb. But feeling that you had no part in the failure is a bit disingenuous. You handed keys to a car that while completely operational was not like 99.999 percent of other cars on the road. Because of modification it requires a bit more attention. Certainly, you didn't expect him to run the car, but your car's divergence from standard operation ended with his incompetence killing a head gasket. If you had a temperature based fan system the head gasket would have been fine, despite the tech's stupidity.

I think in good faith the shop should fix your HG. The damage occurred because of their techs incompetence. But I still never saw your side of the discussion move towards the setup of automatically triggered fans; which you should really think about moving to. Now you've seen the weakness of your current setup and yet you wanted to keep the discussion away from that weakness. That seems odd. My post was to help you realize that failing to switch the fans on could happen again. We are all here to help each other build better cars.

A good tech would never leave a car idling like that. A good tech knows that he has no control of the condition of a customer's car. A good tech knows that idling indoors with no airflow over the radiator is not wise, especially on an older car. Shops fault.

Bummer pickles but at least they are fixing it

i got that point a lot earlier in the thread than you think and judging by how vehemently they're defending their fellow "crooked" mechanic who was too lazy to sell me a new battery, ask for help or even offer to wire my car correctly after the fact, I see this is fruitless. Some mechanics have excuses and some fix cars.

are you drunk ,, I defended no one ,, but I will tell you that the mechanic who worked on your car was not at fault other then trying to do YOU a favor , YOU are the one that failed to fix the dead battery and the non charging alt , and jury rigged the fan wiring

now can you for one moment grow up and act like a man and admit that you messed up and stop trying to place blame on the entire world other then your self

in the real world it means almost nothing we all do stupid things but most admit that they did them

• Like 1

A good tech would never leave a car idling like that. A good tech knows that he has no control of the condition of a customer's car. A good tech knows that idling indoors with no airflow over the radiator is not wise, especially on an older car. Shops fault.

Bummer pickles but at least they are fixing it

are you guys not thinking do you think all cars in a shop are connected to some magic exh vent system

CARS RUN INSIDE a repair shop that may surprise you but it's the truth

and isn't it the job of the RAD FANS to make AIR flow across the rad , and isn't it also a fact he just drove the car to the shop ,,so that means he did not have the fans on when he was driving the car

to the shop

If the mechanic knew about the switch yet failed to utilize it, then it would be his fault. All this BS about leaving cars running on the lift is trying to save face.

He did not know because you failed to tell him.

you are LUCKY they are paying for it.

are you guys not thinking do you think all cars in a shop are connected to some magic exh vent system

CARS RUN INSIDE a repair shop that may surprise you but it's the truth

and isn't it the job of the RAD FANS to make AIR flow across the rad , and isn't it also a fact he just drove the car to the shop ,,so that means he did not have the fans on when he was driving the car

to the shop

excellent deduction squire