Future JZ style swaps?

jjohnson

http://www.youtube.c...h?feature=watch

^ Just for you Joey.

I'm going to be following this guy's recipe in my '68 F-100 when I get around to it. He makes 600+whp ALL DAY on 100k+ mile, stock motors with just valve springs.

Just please don't be like my friend and build a suped up V8 in there and leave the old drum brakes.... to make it worse it's a 54 F-100 so no belts in her ether.

O no I'm talking a modern 2.0 4 cyl with direct injection, Just did it with my new car. 1 and 2 are worthless but the DSG is impressive, the instant shifts = no boost loss on shifts. Makes it a HW monster and I though it would be quick light to light.

O and I know all about the old school cars. Heavy just sat down and torq monsters because of displacement. I'll take a high strung 4 cyl that is quite, nice, smooth, goes around corners, 90 MPH feels like 25 and is getting 28.1 MPG at that speed, and still go faster and be safer. I respect the old school but we have surpassed it. Just look at what the vet has become.

direct injection check out the early 80's Alfa Romaro , direct inj pumps are just like diesel inj pumps but with so much closer tolerances because gasoline is so thin and has almost no lubrication property's ,the pumps require a lot of up keep to maintain tolerances ,direct inj has been around for a long time but has a lot of problems

direct injection check out the early 80's Alfa Romaro , direct inj pumps are just like diesel inj pumps but with so much closer tolerances because gasoline is so thin and has almost no lubrication property's ,the pumps require a lot of up keep to maintain tolerances ,direct inj has been around for a long time but has a lot of problems

Yes it's been around for a long time, but has only recently started comming around in the performace areas. Yeah I know I have issues with the FSI motor and cam followers because they drive the mechancle fuel pump off the intake cam and it runs 120 bar. We struggle to make the presure needed now even, let alone contorl it. So I can't even think what a travisty it was back then. As soon as you see someone make one with multiple injectors and pumps per cylinder now that is going to be the beast.

the question is basically what high hp motor comes in a GT class car (supra was GT, not a sports car) that's aimed at the middle class pocket book? my vote goes to whatever comes in the new mustangs and camaros and of course corvette.

when the supra came out, it was expensive for a toyota, but from a price-per-performance perspective, the supra could easily be out performing cars that cost triple the price point (faster than many high end german cars)

A modern V8 makes more effecient power than a modern inline 4 or 6. Ever driven a 400hp 4cyl and a 400hp v8, at that power level and beyond you're getting better mpg's. V8's are now as light as 4cyl and very compact.

There were a lot of engines in the 90's that have comparable power potential to the JZ engines, they just werent in cars that were made to go fast or had any type of aftermarket support and there were other engines that had the same potential with a huge aftermarket. The JZ was def not the end all of 90's era engines. They were made highly popular and were put in a very good chassis on top of being overbuilt. Toyota could of easily put the overbuilt and unpopular UZ v8 in the Supra twin turbo it and make equal if not better power. The JZ engines are still overpriced and so are their parts. Especially compared to the LS series of engines who are easier to obtain and cheaper to make equal/better power, probably lighter, and just as compact. I believe the JZ is still an awesome motor but its popularity has made it overpriced and caught up.

Ford Zetec, Toyota 1uz, Mitsubishi 4g, Mazda 13B, BMW S50s, Audi 7a, Nissan SR20 are just a few engines just from the 90's that have huge potential. The 7a is often over looked but I've seen this inline 5cyl make crazy amounts of power and have a unique sound.

I think the 4b11 will start showing up in some future swaps.

I'm by no means a fanboy nor hater of anything. But, I think the JZ is just overdone now and lots of other engine have caught up to it. I'd still swap a 2jz in something if I had one or found one for a good price. Now the v160/1 transmission is one tough cookie. The most overbuilt thing in the MKIV TT supra (50k in '95 80k in todays sense) was the trans.

Edited by GINASQ

7a is often over looked but I've seen this inline 5cyl make crazy amounts of power and have a unique sound.

and Audi has been building exceptional 5cyls forever.

I rememember when Audi made a big splash into imsa with a trio of 5s. The only race they didn't finish 1-2-3, is if one crashed

At the top GTP class, nissan made history with a humble ol 2 valve vg30Et.... that's right, as found in the 1st gen 300zx.

Demolished everything the world threw at it, Porsche included. Retired after winning every race. A competitor running the infamous Buick Indy V6 said when interviewed, " that nissan passed him on the outside of the last big bend, and accelerated so hard from him, with smoke pouring off the tires, in top gear! that he thought the buick had stalled - a thousand hp my az". - lol

Nissan had no race programe parts developement.... all moded production stuff. Now THAT is a phenomenal engine.... none of this hyped up JZ crap

Just to add perspective, a few have made 5-600+ on stock bottom end toyota 1.6L 4AGZE as found in the 1st gen supercharged MR2. Thats like half the 2J displacement. Built in 1987. Pistons cost $47 each at toyota dealer. Losts underrated stuff out there

I think the thing with the 2JZ's was that any idiot could make 500+ on a stock bottom end. There's lots of guys that are really smart that can make 500+ on stock motors because they know how to tune and how to build motors. But the 2JZ was just so overbuilt, a complete moron could make one pretty fast.

And nobody builds motors like that right now, because all the OEM's are trying to squeeze every last bit of efficiency out of the motor and the car. So everything is built just strong enough to run. The closest thing to it is the Chevy 4.8. I know guys that pull junkyard motors and throw turbos at them and make 700 or so... for 1,000s of passes. But it's a domestic V8, so the Honda guys won't touch it and it will never be a legend like the 2JZ

Depends on what you want, and what your calling better. After getting my taste of direct injection..... I want more. The gains just in retune are AMAZING. Almost 100 HP increase for 2 pipes, and software.

Thinking alone those lines now though..... how about the new GM V6's? They are making what 300 HP N/A stock? the question would be how much more can they handle, and how much can it handle before it starts with the little stupid problems is key.

the lsx v6 (2012-up Camaro) is great, a guy on camaro5 has his north of 700hp with turbos and stuff. the llt (2010-2011)sucks though becuase of the computer used

got a buddy who is a huge jz fanboy. Taught himself how to install and tune standalones, but..... built up a sizeable scrap heap of JZs along the way. Last he told me he was at 698 atw thru a th400. Pulls stupid hard. He is as far from being an idiot, as those JZs are from being "bomb proof"(overbuilt or whatever).

Legends? More like, would a jz win a popularity contest? Already has. Still not close to hondas, and by no stretch would I classify them as legends

Honda folk too busy swooning over their head flow and peak hp numbers. They dominate nothing.

Ask the D1 drifters what happened to all those marvellous highly tuned 4s, 6s and rotarys that touched down in the US

chose one or chase one - lol

• Like 1

That's aleady been done by the chick with the boobs.

Uh... I think I remember finding a page online a long time ago where a woman was making an electric Starion. I guess that's what you're talking about. I think the technology continues to take huge leaps forward though, so the S2000 project I linked is probably worlds different.

I'm not trying to make anybody mad; I liked the Vortec inline 6 idea someone linked a page or so back. I do think that if I do a restoration of my Quest in another decade, there will probably be numerous kits to convert it to a high-powered electric car, though.

the lsx v6 (2012-up Camaro) is great, a guy on camaro5 has his north of 700hp with turbos and stuff. the llt (2010-2011)sucks though becuase of the computer used

Yep I was lined up to buy one, had it all speced out in synargy green without the factory stripe (custome order only all green came striped I guess) And then I got inside. Same old same old Chevy just cheep plastic interior and the back seat was 100% worthless. There was no way I was going to give them 500+ a month for a car that cheap looking, feeling, and sounding inside.