Smartphone users beware!!! Not sure where to post this

brianpaul98

Hey everyone I just saw this video about people and their smartphones taking pictures of their kids and posting them online to social sites. The pictures are GPS tracked to their exact location ANYONE with a little computer knowledge can see everywhere you and your kids go. can you imagine how easy that makes it for someone to kidnap your kids??!!!

http://kyeos.wordpress.com/2013/05/10/warning-if-you-take-photos-with-your-cell-phone/

Share this link with everyone you know who has kids so they understand just how dangerous this smartphone / internet social site nonsense really is.

I would have to say the majority of people with a smartphone have no idea what that even means or if its enabled or not.

I would have to say the majority of people with a smartphone have no idea what that even means or if its enabled or not.

When you first use the camera it pops up and asks you if you would like to use gps a tag your photos with your geological location

Seems straight forward enough but I don't have a smartphone so I never used that option. I just take pics and send them as text messages to people. I try not to post much of anything online because it shows everyone what you have and can be used by people to break in and steal your stuff. I read about employers searching your Facebook and other social sites to dig up dirt on you if your applying for jobs or co workers trying to get you fired and all kinds of crap like that. I think all this new technology is a double edge sword with consequences we haven't even seen yet. I keep hearing about all this GPS crap in the new cars. Yeah it's great if your broke down or forgot to lock your doors but its also sending all your driving info to some server somewhere being collected and analyzed by God knows who. Big brother is always watching in new and improved ways and none are ever truly for our benefit. Any small benefit to us is purely secondary to the true reason its there. Edited by brianpaul98

Although it is easy to turn off I can see how this could scare some people. However I think that there is nothing to be alarmed about. As the old saying goes "locks only keep an honest man out of a home". I think it goes the same for children. If someone is going to steal your children...I don't think it will be super beneficial to them to see where you are on their gps device :P

Although it is easy to turn off I can see how this could scare some people. However I think that there is nothing to be alarmed about. As the old saying goes "locks only keep an honest man out of a home". I think it goes the same for children. If someone is going to steal your children...I don't think it will be super beneficial to them to see where you are on their gps device :P

So what your saying is that a gps device that gives pretty specific data on where a kid lives, what park they go to, where they go to school etc... isn't really all that beneficial?? Well let me see, I'm from out of state and I go to facebook and find some really cute little kid on there. Then I can find out all the local places they go right at my fingertips and then put a nice little plan together to go snatch the kid. You see now its not just local scumbags that can snatch kids its country wide.

There are lots more reasons other than kidnapping to be concerned these days.

Federal government confiscating everyone's cell phone data in the name of national security comes to mind..... then there is the debt ceiling... and the next financial bubble thats about to pop... not to mention the drones flying over head spying on American citizens just to name a few. Yeah I guess a few kidnapped kids aren't really all that important to be concerned about.

Yep, so many ways we can be victims. Even posting on car forums... We all post pics and talk about our families, our routines, all the cool SQ parts we have.... Some theif could come clean us out and some pedophile might know where a cute kid lives because of it.

Sadly, I use my GPS quite a bit and always forget to disable it. Of course, that same pedophile or theif who sees my phone pics or Facebook posts probably also has seen pics of all my guns or at least knows I carry, so they might think twice about picking my family to be victims. If not, they will probably soon wish they had LOL.

Stay safe out there folks!

lol I meant that a person trying to steal your kid would probably do it without the help of gps or not. If he is going to take your kid he will probably find ample opportunity to do so. If not yours then someones kid

Federal government confiscating everyone's cell phone data in the name of national security comes to mind..... then there is the debt ceiling... and the next financial bubble thats about to pop... not to mention the drones flying over head spying on American citizens just to name a few. Yeah I guess a few kidnapped kids aren't really all that important to be concerned about.

Wow man, we're we supposed to be arguing? I was saying there are even MORE reasons to be concerned about posting stupid pics of you and your kids. You could not see that I was simply trying to make a bigger point - one which agrees with your expanded list of concerns?

Ah geotagging!

It's really fun when you pull the GPS coordinates from the EXIF data and freak people out. Yay for big data...

You point out about the smartphone/social media is nonsense, but I can guarantee you I could probably go through the SQ showroom and pull EXIF data from the photos that were taken via a cell phone.

Easiest fix? Turn off GPS on the phone, and when it asks if you want to turn on the GPS ( or Location ) just decline it ( unless you're using the navigation option - just make sure to disable it again afterwards ).

Edited by Fanta

Don't have kids or a smartphone so I think I'm safe. Oh and yet another reason why I don't like social media.

It's not just smartphones either. Newer digital cameras do it just as well considering they have the ability to upload to FB and YouTube

Edited by Fanta

It's not just smartphones either. Newer digital cameras do it just as well considering they have the ability to upload to FB and YouTube

if you optied to pay the extra 100 dollars for built in gps for geotagging. 90% of cameras have no gps

Wow man, we're we supposed to be arguing? I was saying there are even MORE reasons to be concerned about posting stupid pics of you and your kids. You could not see that I was simply trying to make a bigger point - one which agrees with your expanded list of concerns?

There are lots more reasons other than kidnapping to be concerned these days.

I'm sorry Edde but I think I misunderstood what you were saying. The way you made your statement it sounded like you were saying there were a lot of other things to be concerned with these days other than missing kids. That's why I responded they way I did. The whole point of me posting this is to alert people of the possibility of giving away the locations of their kids by the pictures they are posting with those smartphones. Sorry I misunderstood you. Yes there ARE a lot of other things to be concerned with about this gps stuff. It's really an invasion of our privacy.

You see this every so often with a lot of things. For example - a while back a bunch of my relatives got freaked out because they realized Facebook shared your phone number with your friends if you uploaded it and didn't set it to private. They were a little surprised when I explained that they had put the info there themselves and could take it down just as easily.

This is another good example. A lot of those same photos have unique or identifiable landmarks/signs in them that you can make out pretty easily - easier if you have basic photo manipulation software. Why would a person with ill intent go through all the trouble of pulling EXIF data that may or may not exist in a photo when he (or she I suppose) could just read the street sign in plain view?

It comes down to that if you don't want people to know about something, don't put it online.

I completely agree, sad thing is with every new step in technology people jump in head first without realizing the full consequences of what they are doing. I stopped updating my Facebook about two years ago and deleted a bunch of stuff since then.

Some with any savy is going to hijack your phone, and run there own code and do as they please including loging recording calls or even cloning your phone. It's sadly not even that hard because people are very stupid and will surf and click on anything and download any app. heck look at all the people who play stupid click ad games. You know thoses screens that pop up between levels you have to click to get off of? Yeah those are for them to gain $ from advtising but the same metod can be used to get you to click on whatever the coder wants and BOOM full contorl of your phone.