SAVE A BUCK

Shelby

a lot of you guys don't have a ton of money to drop on tools , you can save a bundle on tools you don't need to use sept once every few years or so , at Harbor Freight or northern tools ,,

things like electric drill wire brushes and cheap drills , air cut offs etc, things you don't normaly think of as needing untill that day you need it ,thgier air hack saw only last a year or two but , what do you expect for $10

we all understand that many of thier tools won't stand up to hard heavy daily use,, but it's like this i have a drawer full of snap on air wratchets , that work half a** and 2 from harbor freight that work , and a couple air cut off's that have die'd a slow death from harbor freight but each lasted 4-5 years some times under very heavy useage ,i paid $19 for the harbor fright ones and $100 plus for the snap on stuff

some things you need to drop the extra $$ for the better stuff ,other things not so much,, i have never broken one of harbor freights wrenches , and for over sized sockets you can buy a full set for what the tool truck wants for one socket

what i'm saying is unless your makeing a liveing wrencheing on cars you don't always need to buy that $100 drill when a $10 will do the same job

I buy HF pretty often. I stick to those rules as well. If I won't use it often I go HF. Overall I'm pretty happy with my purchases.

I have some wrenches that have really spread on the open end side and I bought a camp hatchet which had a handle that gave up way to quickly. But really most of the stuff does the job. I tend to use name brand ratchets, as most seem to be worth the extra money. But I'll use HF sockets on them.

One thing that is nice about HF tools as well is that they are cheap enough to cut up. Need a special tool? If it is something you can make from something you have you'll be able to save time and money. Most probably aren't excited about cutting up a wrench from a high end set, but HF sets have been fodder for all kinds of experimentation at my place.

Considering how many Craftsman tools are made overseas now it becomes a "who do you want as the middle-man" setup. While I like Sears as a company, they have quietly replaced many of their Craftsman items with imports, without any corresponding change in price.

Something to note is some of the stuff carried at HF is US made. I know hard to believe, and it isn't a lot of stuff, but there are several items I've bought an been surprised.

Yeah no doubt HF has it's place...... Ive made many a "custom" tool from there tools.

There pretty good for abrasives like sand paper, sanding discs, cut off wheels ECT as that stuff wares out anyways.

There bike lift is not bad at all. (woudn't trust my life under it, but it's easy enough to put jack stands or bricks under it if you need to.

There paint guns cannot be beat, do the job, and toss them.... no cleaning.

Just DON"T trust there "precision" type stuff. IE don't buy a multi meter and trust checking things on a $400 CPU board with it.... Don't trust there torq wrench for a precision job ECT.

O and best prices I have found for wallnuts and glass beads for blasting..... O there blasting box is not 1/2 bad after you properly gasket it. for the price.

Edited by jszucs

There pretty good for abrasives like sand paper, sanding discs, cut off wheels ECT as that stuff wares out anyways.

I could not disagree more, except for maybe the cutoff wheels- even then, they wear out 2-3X faster than quality ones. Their sandpaper is crap. I have had horrible luck with it. If you're sanding filler, it will clog almost instantly, and if you sand on any metal harder than aluminum, most of the grit wears out or breaks off within a few strokes.

Cutoff wheels and blast media are the only abrasives I'd consider from there, and that would only be in a pinch. Most of that stuff I buy in bulk and use quite a bit, and if you buy enough from the right people, you end up with really high quality stuff for the same per unit price.

Their hand tools are awesome for making custom tools tho.

I do get some tools there if I think I won't use it much. most times I find I use it more than I think and then I'll go buy it from a name brand when the HF unit breaks. That said, I haven't bought much from HF lately... I don't think there's one locally, but in MI I had one about a 1/2 mile away, so I was there usually weekly. Now, I just look for what I need from all the name brand stuff on ebay. Sometimes you find new stuff selling pretty cheap, and I've had really good luck with used tools on Ebay too, as long as it's from a top rated seller. I've bought Snap On air grinders for the same price as one from HF.

Edited by Burton

Yeah I've had issues with their consumables as well. I've sworn off their drill bits. They tend to work once, if that. The nicer the HF bit it seems the more you overpay.

It seems like most times I have bought the HF cheap consumables (Bits, abrasive wheels, etc...) I've found myself somewhere else spending the money I originally didn't want to spend (spending more in total).

I do like their blue latex gloves though.

O no don't get me wrong, I would not other then maybe the glass beads and wallnuts use any of there madia on any paint job, sanding ECT I cared about. But for splotching up drywall and mud in rental houses...... ALL THE WAY.

and yeah there drill bits SUCK BALZ...... They must be made of the softest metal ever. Even a cheep stanly kit is better, and the stanly kits SUCK.

Edited by jszucs

I check amazon for for some of these things also, You can find pretty decent deals on some of this stuff there. Great points about buying their big sockets and or handtools for customizing ect though. I buy some stuff at HF. I bought a high jack stand for use under my lift and other odds and ends like that. For drill bits http://www.mcmaster.com/#drill-bits/=o1bt82 is tough to beat.

BC_99

Edited by BC_99

I do turn wrenches for a living as a small engine mechanic.I have owned my shop since 1988.

I have used numerous harbor freight tools and still have a hand grinder from 1998 that i gave

15 bucks for on sale.Some other tools didnt make it that long but they where 5 bucks..I have

a combo of sears,snap on,matco,proto,etc.So some do work for the job.

Looks like shelby got a job at harbor freight. :P

On a serious note look at some of the HF stuff and compare it to other brands. Other stores carry the same stuff with different brand stickers or different colors for more $.

For example,

Oriely parts washer $169.99 http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/PFM0/W54040/N0709.oap?ck=Search_parts+washer_-1_4327&keyword=parts+washer

http://images.oreillyauto.com/parts/img/medium/pfm/w54040.jpg

HF parts washer $95.99 http://www.harborfreight.com/20-gallon-parts-washer-with-general-purpose-pump-7340.html

http://www.harborfreight.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/small_image/160x/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/i/m/image_11262.jpg

HF 10" mitre saw $84.99 http://www.harborfreight.com/10-compound-miter-saw-with-laser-guide-system-69683.html

http://www.harborfreight.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/small_image/135x/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/i/m/image_22236.jpg

Sears craftsman 10" mitre saw $99.99 http://www.sears.com/craftsman-10inch-compound-miter-saw-21236/p-00921236000P?prdNo=2&blockNo=2&blockType=G2

Lowes "skil" brand 10" mitre saw $99.98 http://www.lowes.com/pd_132853-353-3316-03_0__?productId=3701590&Ntt=mitre+saw&Ns=p_product_price|0

http://images.lowes.com/product/converted/039725/039725038418sm.jpg

The list goes on and on.

I had a big long post, but bear in mind everything from that place is potentially dangerous. Especially anything that you plug in the wall be especially wary of, everything I have ever purchased from there ended up catching fire or shocking me.

The air tools are ok, many need to be repaired in some shape or form after a few uses (the pneumatic floor scrap in particular... but it was a useful tool).

Buyer be ware when buying anything from HF. And it's it's something that is only slightly cheaper than getting a more reputable brand, get the more reputable brand.

a lot of you guys don't have a ton of money to drop on tools , you can save a bundle on tools you don't need to use sept once every few years or so , at Harbor Freight or northern tools ,,

things like electric drill wire brushes and cheap drills , air cut offs etc, things you don't normaly think of as needing untill that day you need it ,thgier air hack saw only last a year or two but , what do you expect for $10

we all understand that many of thier tools won't stand up to hard heavy daily use,, but it's like this i have a drawer full of snap on air wratchets , that work half a** and 2 from harbor freight that work , and a couple air cut off's that have die'd a slow death from harbor freight but each lasted 4-5 years some times under very heavy useage ,i paid $19 for the harbor fright ones and $100 plus for the snap on stuff

some things you need to drop the extra $$ for the better stuff ,other things not so much,, i have never broken one of harbor freights wrenches , and for over sized sockets you can buy a full set for what the tool truck wants for one socket

what i'm saying is unless your makeing a liveing wrencheing on cars you don't always need to buy that $100 drill when a $10 will do the same job

the biggest and most important thing your missing. in 5 years when they break. all you have to do is find a snap on truck, and get those replaced. where as the HF you go buy another set

and if they fail in 3 months? same thing, so depending on the hit or miss quality from HF, you may end up spending MORE on the HF ones than the snapon/matco/etc

i love my ingersaw tools, and bluepoint ratchet sets. i just recently messed up my ratchet, have had it for 2 years hitting it with hammers and cheater bars. guess what? i called snapon, he ordered me another.

granted you can do this with craftsman as well, however, i broke atleast 20 craftsman rachets this year. i use alot in gas to go to sears and get them rebuilt/replaced

i can see some things from HF, like extensions, or small socket sets for setting in a emergency kit or something. same with burton, i have noticed their cutoff wheels and such dont last long. dont think i would use one of their discs on my drop saw either.

I have a bunch of stuff from HF. Mostly big items.

6"x48" belt sander with 9" disc sander (damn good tool for $200)

http://www.harborfre...ander-6852.html

3 ton floor jack (10 years old and still working)

Freestanding sandblasting cabinet (awesome for restoring parts, mine is the older model with a built in light on top. when purchased, oriely sold the same cabinet for $600)

http://www.harborfre...inet-68893.html

12 ton press (flimsy out of the box because it bolted together. But after squaring it up and welding, it became a good tool.)

http://www.harborfre...inet-68893.html

I have a bunch of smaller stuff from HF. But items like sockets and ratchets I use craftsman and husky. HF has good deals on some stuff like what I posted above. But alot of the smaller stuff you just have to ask yourself is it worth it. Many $1-10 items there are junk. The more expensive stuff is usually either good or can be modified to make it good.

But beware of some stuff there. Cheap cutting disks whether they be for a grinder or chop saw should be avoided. Cheap bench grinder wheels should also be avoided. When they fly apart they can injure you.

Edited by ucw458

the biggest and most important thing your missing. in 5 years when they break. all you have to do is find a snap on truck, and get those replaced. where as the HF you go buy another set

and if they fail in 3 months? same thing, so depending on the hit or miss quality from HF, you may end up spending MORE on the HF ones than the snapon/matco/etc

i love my ingersaw tools, and bluepoint ratchet sets. i just recently messed up my ratchet, have had it for 2 years hitting it with hammers and cheater bars. guess what? i called snapon, he ordered me another.

granted you can do this with craftsman as well, however, i broke atleast 20 craftsman rachets this year. i use alot in gas to go to sears and get them rebuilt/replaced

i can see some things from HF, like extensions, or small socket sets for setting in a emergency kit or something. same with burton, i have noticed their cutoff wheels and such dont last long. dont think i would use one of their discs on my drop saw either.

Yeah but it's not like the old stuff. Everything I got from my grandfather (hand tool wise, and a few power tools here and there) the only thing that broke was a hand sander. And if I really wanted to could have taken the metal case on the sander appart, and replaced the motor. All the sockets have almost no markings make or size, they have the thickest walls I have ever seen. Some won't even fit in standard places like say removing a spark plug. but none have broken. They are also super heavy almost like they are made of lead. So I'm guessing some high quality metal. My grandfather owned a gas station and gurage and used them daily for 30+ years, and Ive had them for a good 20. I want to know where to buy that quality of tool. It also came with one of the bigest ratches I have ever seen. It's got to be like a 1" drive maybe? and it's got some funky pin that goes though the socket. Only got one socket for it, and it seems fused to that pin so never tried to remove.

so you think the average dude that wrenches maybe once a yr should go spend moneys on snap on wratchets he he

don't think so , i think i have two of every one they sell from 1/4

"up to the 1/2" 18" straight and 1/2 18" flex head ,T-bars from 1/4" to 1 inch and beleave me that is enought to buy a complete craftsman tool box a couple times over , not some thing the averagte guy needs for home

oh that old socket with what looks like a pin ,,it is a pin depress it to remove from wratchet

Yeah but it's not like the old stuff. Everything I got from my grandfather (hand tool wise, and a few power tools here and there) the only thing that broke was a hand sander. And if I really wanted to could have taken the metal case on the sander appart, and replaced the motor. All the sockets have almost no markings make or size, they have the thickest walls I have ever seen. Some won't even fit in standard places like say removing a spark plug. but none have broken. They are also super heavy almost like they are made of lead. So I'm guessing some high quality metal. My grandfather owned a gas station and gurage and used them daily for 30+ years, and Ive had them for a good 20. I want to know where to buy that quality of tool. It also came with one of the bigest ratches I have ever seen. It's got to be like a 1" drive maybe? and it's got some funky pin that goes though the socket. Only got one socket for it, and it seems fused to that pin so never tried to remove.

sounds like you have impact sockets not regular sockets lol

so you think the average dude that wrenches maybe once a yr should go spend moneys on snap on wratchets he he

don't think so , i think i have two of every one they sell from 1/4

"up to the 1/2" 18" straight and 1/2 18" flex head ,T-bars from 1/4" to 1 inch and beleave me that is enought to buy a complete craftsman tool box a couple times over , not some thing the averagte guy needs for home

oh that old socket with what looks like a pin ,,it is a pin depress it to remove from wratchet

i mean the typical SQ owner, or DIY with a toy or racecar.

my blue point has a pin to remove the socket lol. i have a 1/2" snap on ratchet here thats ancient, still working, its before they put the press pin in lol, i cant break it, ive tried, snap on said you break it, ill get you a new 1/2" swivel head long ratchet

i dont know about you, but i sure go off when a ratchet breaks when im working on the car, and i bust some knuckles

first off if you break a wratchet most times your useing the wrong tools

you start pulling 100 lbs on a long 3/8's wratchet it's time to move up to 1/2" drv

and i do love that 20" 1/2 flex head , and i still have a Mac 1/2 breaker bar i bought in 1966 24" with opening in end to use as an extention , i have used 5 ft pipes on the end of that thing and it's still togather

sounds like you have impact sockets not regular sockets lol

Some are impact one's, but some are regular. I know for sure they are all 50+ years old though, and some look like they were handed down to my grandfather from his dad even. Alot of them the metal has almost the chalky look of lead too.

first off if you break a wratchet most times your useing the wrong tools

you start pulling 100 lbs on a long 3/8's wratchet it's time to move up to 1/2" drv

I agree to an extent. Always use the right tool for the job. If a ratchet won't break it loose get a breaker bar. That said... I have broken loose plenty of hard nuts with Snap On or Craftsman ratchets like it was a piece of cake. Bought a ratchet at AutoZone to use in an emergency, and stripped it out first try on a bolt that my Snap On ratchet would have laughed at. Sure, I should have used a breaker bar, but I had no intention on buying a bunch of tools that I already had at home just to do an emergency alternator swap on the side of the road. Luckily, When I went back to AZ with the bad ratchet, they just returned it then let me borrow a breaker bar and some heavier tools to get the job done.

And you aint kidding about the older tools being better. I have a few old hand tools, but most of the stuff is newer Snap On, Cornwell, Mac or Craftsman. I did get a bunch of tools from my grandfather last year tho... all stuff he bought in the 60's 70's and 80's, and most of it Craftsman. Huge miter saw, table saw, jig saw and planer, and all were built to last. All the newer stuff is just built to be cheap and replaced in a few years when it wears out. Lots of Black and Decker drills and saws too. Some of that stuff works better than my 18V DeWalt!

Edited by Burton

they look funny cause back then tools actualy had steel in them

ahhaha nice..... sadly true too.

We had this thing back in the day too..... what was that called again.......... :ph34r: