Turbo doesn't spin at idle?

Amonje123

Ok so I got a 16g turbo and I just finished putting new oil seals in it yesterday cause I had oil in ic pipes. Anyways put it back together and notice it doesn't turn when I started it up. I give it gas and it spins. Idle is stops. So I turned off the car and check to see if the shaft spins easily. It does, I spin it and super free turns like 5 6 times after. Start the car back up and it doesn't turn. So I try to turn it with the car running, and it stops really fast. Like maybe 1 turn that's it. It turns Easyer with the car off... Weird is this normal?? So I test drove and drives fine boost perfect. 15min later check turbo and it's spinning at idle really fast now. I never noticed this before. I drive it to work today started it up this morning and no spinning at idle. Drove 20 miles to work and it spins at idle. So basically wen my turbo is cold is doesn't spin easy and spins easy when hot. Is there something wrong here??

Idk too much about turbos but quite knowledgeable in other mechanical functions. If the seal you installed is on the shaft the turbine and compressor are on maybe it's not warn in yet or possibly a manufacturer defect. As far as spinning when warmed up goes but not when cold this could be because metal expands when heated and it may be expanding the housing enough to give that shaft and seal the clearance it needs to spin freely. If your not having any issues I'd put some miles on it and try to get it spooling and making boost most of the time. If it doesn't start working the way it should I'd just get another kit and fully rebuild it making sure all parts are to spec. Not an expert but that's what i'd do in your shoes.

Thats sketchy, even turbos with tons of in and out and side to side spin freely at idle lol, sounds like you messed up somewhere on the rebuild, probably spins after you drive it cuz everything expands from the heat.

something is probably binding in the center section and when you rev the engine it's giving more force to spin the wheel. If it was me, I'd tear it down again. The other thing it could be is the turbine wheel contacting the turbine housing. Try to spin it by hand with the engine off. The turbo should keep spinning for at least a few seconds after you spin it. If it stops immediately instead of slowing to a smooth stop, you know something is wrong. If the compressor or turbine wheels are contacting the housings, you should be able to feel it when you spin by hand. Edited by CaliConquestAlex

The weird thing is the shaft spins very free with the engine off. I spin it and wwweeeeeeeee round and round she goes. Then when I start the car I go to spin it, stops almost instantly. I'm gnna tear it back down and inspect.

Ps: wats the torque supose to be on the nut. I'm thinking it's to tight...

Ps: wats the torque supose to be on the nut. I'm thinking it's to tight...

If I remember correctly it is ~35-40 in-lbs. But I simply take the nut to it is just snug and then add 1/4 turn (90 degrees).

kev

i cant believe you think something not moving will hurt you

anyway, pull the compressor housing off, you forgot to put the pinch clip back on right behind the compressor wheel, holding the back plate in. oil pressure is pushing it outward against the compressor wheel

Ok so I tore the turbo all the way down today and actually I can't find anything wrong with it. The only thing I could find is a lil wear on the bearings and where the bearings ride inside the turbo(light scratches on both) that's about it. So I put new bearings and c clips in it this time lubed it up and assembled it all back together. The wheels spin super free and very lil shaft up and down play. Put it on the car start it up wheel spins and then stops. Now it's super hard to turn the wheel with the car on and I have absolutely no shaft pay. I turned the car off and then the turbo spins free and shaft play back. Can anyone help me out. This is freaking wicked... I just might buy a new one there not that expensive.

Ok so I tore the turbo all the way down today and actually I can't find anything wrong with it. The only thing I could find is a lil wear on the bearings and where the bearings ride inside the turbo(light scratches on both) that's about it. So I put new bearings and c clips in it this time lubed it up and assembled it all back together. The wheels spin super free and very lil shaft up and down play. Put it on the car start it up wheel spins and then stops. Now it's super hard to turn the wheel with the car on and I have absolutely no shaft pay. I turned the car off and then the turbo spins free and shaft play back. Can anyone help me out. This is freaking wicked... I just might buy a new one there not that expensive.

makes sure you are reinstalling this!post-15501-0-76396600-1375504978_thumb.jpg Edited by Skullzaflare

Yes, There are also two clips in the chra to hold the bearing from going to far in. I had one recently that the aftermarket thrush bearing was made a little different and it was binding. I ended up having to reuse the oem thrust bearing parts. I

How about posting pictures of the turbo? You said it's a 16g, but what is it from; i.e. is it in a 12A housing or in the eclipse housing? Have you boosted on it? Why did u rebuild it the first time? On the 16g, make sure you have the correct backplate to mate up with the compressor wheel, it should be curved to match the curve on the back of the compressor wheel, not like the 12A, which is flat. If you have incorrect parts in the turbo you'll never get it to work right without replacing with the correct pieces. Post close up pics of the pieces laid out once you disassemble and that will help in the diagnosis.