Hopefully not dumb questions

Hi guys, you've all been very helpful with my car so you are my first source when I have questions. Im trying to increase horsepower and at the same time hopefully fuel economy. So far I installed a hard pipe, upgraded to a 16g turbo, and removed the rear cat. I use this car as my daily and I just want it at it's best performance.

I Dnt think that can happen more horse power and better mpg. It's either one or the other. But ur stock exhaust is gnna hold ur turbo back. I would go 2.5 or 3 in all the way back. And get rid of the stock Maf and get a gm maf and translater so u have something to tune wit. Dnt forget ur wideband. Are u running a bov wit that turbo?

Problem with MPI is it gets pricey... so the cost to do the job can outweigh the money saved on gas. (Depends on how much you drive obviously...)

But as JAinsworth said... totally worthwile mod. (and plan on doing it myself one day)

At least the mpg factor is a great way of justifying mods to the women. (thats how I justified my turbo swap to my girl)

the MPI is the (MULTI PORT INJECTION) system very good if you want better MPG and better tunablity and more reliable when upgrading but you will great results from a 3" exhaust upgrade est. about a 45-60 hp gain from that alone do not waist your time cutting off one muffler and putting a different one on you will not see a power change only a change in the sound. upgrade from the turbo all the way out the back to a 3" pipe with no pre cat and a high flow cat you will have a lot more power and a lil better mpg. Edited by seans87Quest

yes but you really dont have to start off with some thing so high performance might start off small then work your way up cause remember more air needs more fuel then it needs more room to exit

Where would be a good place to start looking for a system?

I would just stay tbi for now and think about mpi later. You probaly need more like $1000-$1500 and hours of custom fabricating. Just stay tbi until u learn a little more about these cars. U can make a beast on the tbi system. But if u want 300+hp mpi is the way to go.

As long as we are talking 3 inch exhaust and power associated, what amount of power will a 3 inch exhaust free up? I run one and never really had the car running properly with a smaller exhaust so I don't know the difference.

when me and a friend of mine swapped out his stock exhaust for a HKS 3" turbo back exhaust dyno test before after exhaust swap was 216 whp before then he was at 263 whp after the HKS 3" exhaust kit but this was years ago don't know if these are still available

i would stick with the basic's like the last poster suggested until you can figure these things out dont jump to beef it up and the thing dont even run properly before you even started save your money up then buy everything you need before you start your project

Edited by seans87Quest

ok, so, given your budget, here is my suggestion of a place to start:

1. read the FAQ section

2. spend the rest on maintenance, fluid flushes, decent tires, brake pads, oil changes, transmission gear oil, differential flush etc

3. if those things are already taken care of, then get a bigger exhaust pipe, get a downpipe, get a real boost gauge and a boost controller and maf-t, and PAY to have a professional tune it

these cars tend to get ruined because people skip #2, or they turn up the boost without during the supporting mods. so, be careful.

Edited by patra_is_here

An mpi intake alone will run 400ish...

yeah plus $200 for injectors, $150 for a throttle body, $300 for piping, $400-$1000 for fuel management, and a lot more in labor if you can't do the build yourself. MPI is easily the most difficult thing to attain on this car for the do-it-yourself crowd. it involved the most steps, requires the most amount of knowledge and skill, and is time consuming. there's MPI build threads on this site that have been in-process for over a year

Edited by patra_is_here

Since it's your daily I wouldn't go too crazy on the mods. What I would do and after that leave it be for awhile is, full 3 inch exhaust, full hard piping, wideband o2, boost guage, boost controller. Get it tuned and have some fun. Maybe do a short shifter and suspension mods. ;)

his budget is 500-1000

Since it's your daily I wouldn't go too crazy on the mods. What I would do and after that leave it be for awhile is, full 3 inch exhaust, full hard piping, wideband o2, boost guage, boost controller. Get it tuned and have some fun. Maybe do a short shifter and suspension mods. ;)

1. his budget is 500 -1000, so, suspension is out of the question

2. how should he "get it tuned" when he purchased nothing that allows tuning? you can't tune the stock system. If you mean too say that he should tune the boost and timing until he starts running lean/detonating, then he doesn't need to buy a $300 wideband set-up, since the dyno shop will be monitoring the A/F anyhow while they set the boost and timing.

Thanks everyone for the input. I was looking at upgrading the Intake Mantifold. Ill upload a picture of my engine bay soon so you guys could have a look. I believe the owner before me hard piped the engine and took out the rear cat.