won't start

nextgenquest

Correct grounds and power routed on you coil?? Also double check that plug wires are seated all the way. I just replaced a dead coil because i had no spark so theres a few things to think of. Hope it helps!

There's a small wire coming off the bottom of the coil that leads to white plastic clip and then to a ground. If that comes unplugged, or ringlet breaks off the ground, it won't start. I had this once when I was replacing the battery. Baffled me for a whole afternoon. Check that. Edited by techboy

Does it turn over but not start or not turn over? If it doesn't turn over check the small wire on top of the starter. If it turns over but won't start, does the tach bounce as the starter turns over? If not, your problem is there. If the tach bounces but it won't start, check the fusible links There are more things to check, just post back on what you find. Jimmy

Unplug the coil wire between the coil and the distributor (at the distributor end), then with your hood propped up you should be able to hang the wire over the side of the car (so the end rests about an inch or so from the fender/frame) where you can see it from the driver's seat and crank the engine. You are checking to see if you are getting spark there, (the end of the coil should spark from the coil wire to the frame/fender, easier to see at twilight/night/in shade) as that will tell you if your spark is at least making it to the distributor. If it is, then next is checking the dizzy or spark plugs and cables. If not, then your problem is at the coil or sooner.

Feel free to correct me anyone else if I misspoke.

Edited by averse

A inline Spark checker is in order!!!Pull a Spark Plug and check to see if it is fuel soaked. If so,dry it off with a heat torch or lighter, ground it to the Engine Block and turn the engine over. Do you have spark? If so, you have spark. If you see no fuel on the Spark Plug but have Spark, Check the Fuel Pump, Fuel Filters and Fuel Injectors for flow.Disconnect Throttle body coupler and crank the engine, see fuel? if not,Check the Fuel inlet at the Throttle Body and crank the engine over. Do you have fuel? If not, your going to have to check the Main Fuel Filter under the hood. Still no fuel, check the Fuel Pump outlet for flow. No fuel coming into the Fuel Pump, check your in-tank Fuel Filter.

If all my suggestions fail, Go here:

Engine will not start:

Incorrect ignition timing:Adjust Timing.

Ignition coil faulty:Inspect Ignition Coil.

Igniter faulty:Inspect Igniter.

Distributor faulty:Inspect Distributor.

High tension cord faulty:Check Spark plug wires

Spark plugs faulty:Inspect and Clean Spark plugs

Ignition wiring disconnected or broken:Inspect Wiring.

Also:

No Fuel supply.

Injection problems.

Vacuum leaks.

Low compression.

Download the Factory Service Manual here: http://www.starquestgarage.com

Then you would know what you need to check when your car won't start.

Bill

Edited by Caliber308

I appreciate all the help and suggestions. Checked a few things today with no found problems. Still have to check a few things just wanted to get some ideas. I do have a 89 service manual. First thing I bought and I have read it and go back to it for help when needed. Thanks all!

hey I just got the same problem. it turns over, no spark at the plugs but intermittent spark at dizzy, no consistent power to coil. But I have a blaster 2 with the 8214 ballast resistor installed and I read http://www.starquestclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=111000&hl=+blaster%20+coil%20+problem&do=findComment&comment=1079638 and the resistor isn't necessary and can cause problems

make sure you don't have a broken wire to either + or - side of coil.i discovered that yday luckily after checking everything.Te blue wire with white stripe had a bad connection to the eyelet I used to replace the original.it would run ok sometimes then wouldn't start at all....lots of weird problems.Is why my problem went from intermitant to all te time and no start at all.finally he wire broke.it's too short to reach coil now so gonna extend a bit so it doesn't get pulled loose again.just sayin don't forget to check the easy stuff first before assuming it's something complicated.happens often.