air dams

brucie08

Im not sure if this is where this post belongs, but ive managed to get ahold of an air dam for cheap.

I know a guy who has a way to copy them in either 3 piece or 1 piece form.

They would be about 150 each.

Is there enough demand for them that it would be worth me putting mine up as the model?

Please let me know guys

Thanks

I realize this started as a "newbie" post, probably unaware of what's been go'n on w/ NikoFab... & I'll 3rd it... I know Nicks work 1st hand, & the Man himself who has & will go to lengths to make absolutely sure we get the "BEST Bang" for our buck! Therefore, although it sounds intrigue'n... "I'll Stick w/ Nick!"... "The Lexan Texan!" eh Scotty? ;)

I realize this started as a "newbie" post, probably unaware of what's been go'n on w/ NikoFab... & I'll 3rd it... I know Nicks work 1st hand, & the Man himself who has & will go to lengths to make absolutely sure we get the "BEST Bang" for our buck! Therefore, although it sounds intrigue'n... "I'll Stick w/ Nick!"... "The Lexan Texan!" eh Scotty? ;)

Another reason a Vendor forum is badly needed on this website , people are just to damn lazy to surf around here to read up and learn "whats up" and who doing what , at $150 per airdam my guess is we're looking at Cardboard or paper mashe , i know who i'm getting my new airdam from. Edited by SOTTY

Well the price point certainly is attractive, but also virtually assures that they aren't urethane, TPO, or even ABS.

I've been doing months of research on this as many of you are aware (see my group buy thread here: http://www.starquestclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=134585&st=0). And guys like Burton and Tim will agree and confirm that there's no way an airdam at $150.00 isn't something more along the lines of FRP or straight up fiberglass, as opposed to a more durable and resilient material such as TPO or urethane...which is to say, you get what you pay for.

It would help members make a more educated decision if you were to let them know of what media (material) you plan on making these from. If you can produce TPO or urethane at $150.00 each, I'll totally scrap my group buy and purchase from you.

Edited by NikoFab

Sick 'em Niko!!! ;)

-N8

Another reason a Vendor forum is badly needed on this website , people are just to damn lazy to surf around here to read up and learn "whats up" and who doing what , at $150 per airdam my guess is we're looking at Cardboard or paper mashe , i know who i'm getting my new airdam from.

Seriously, that sounds too good to be true at that price.

I hear you guys and very much appreciate the votes of confidence. And I can certainly appreciate anyone who comes forth to help the community. If brucie08 can produce a top quality urethane or TPO airdam for that price, I'm all about it.

I'm sorry, i didn't realize someone was already doing them.

Yes, they're made of fiberglass.

And the price above was the quote he gave me.

He has been doing boats bodykits and even surfboards for years

My thought was just that nobody in my area has air dams

I got mine for 50 bucks at a junk yard today

I figured a cheap fiberglass one is better than none

Plus if something happens and it brakes you're out a little less.

I'll still have him make one and see how it turns out.

Or you guys can just delete the post if you want and ill just keep my mouth shut. Lol

I'm sorry, i didn't realize someone was already doing them.

Yes, they're made of fiberglass.

And the price above was the quote he gave me.

He has been doing boats bodykits and even surfboards for years

My thought was just that nobody in my area has air dams

I got mine for 50 bucks at a junk yard today

I figured a cheap fiberglass one is better than none

Plus if something happens and it brakes you're out a little less.

I'll still have him make one and see how it turns out.

Or you guys can just delete the post if you want and ill just keep my mouth shut. Lol

Not at all. Some guys may want a fiberglass one. But just so you know, there's already a company that makes fiberglass dams for our cars and they aren't selling. The main reason is because the units made of fiberglass, FRP, and CF break so easily. That's why I started looking into materials that were stronger, flexible, and more forgiving (like TPO or urethane)...which produce a piece more like the OEM units.

At the end of the day, we all appreciate anybody who looks out for the benefit of our community, which is exactly what I see you doing by posting this. My compliments to you, and welcome to the club.

Cheers,

Nick

Edited by NikoFab

I didn't know any sort of reproduction dam exsisted at all

I just know used ones still cost an arm and a leg. Haha

Thanks for the warm welcome niko

Honestly I had never even seen a conquest untill I bought mine.

So I joined this forum to learn something.

And have wider access to parts.

This car is nothing like my talon... lol

If your buddy makes a mold and has a couple of them on the shelf, there will always be someone who'd rather pay $150 and say "I'll be really careful with it" than pay $300ish for a better quality built piece. Thats not to say your friend wont make a nice part in FG, but it will crack/break the first time it bumps something like a parking curb or speed bump. Just a thought, but does he do carbon fiber as well? There are some members looking for hoods and airdams in carbon still and I hear rumors that MK1s are NLA. That may be another avenue for your buddy to use the mold if he makes one. He just wont sell nearly as many carbon parts as the cheaper alternative. Niko is on the job for the nearest factory replacements to be had, but Im sure there are some that would rather pay $150 for yours. Keep us posted onyour progress.

BC_99

Edited by BC_99

Wow, I never thought about the material the air dam is made of. I didn't think of fiberglass and plastic/fiberglass being that vulnerable to breakage. Thank you Niko for the eye opening information.

Well we're all here to help each other out. There aren't that many of us compared to other car clubs. As such, it's very difficult finding OEM parts for our cars. Sure there's cheaper/lower quality options in the after market...but even those options are dwindling. That's why I will only put together parts that are of good quality, using good materials, for as fair a price as I can achieve.

And we've got other good fabricators in this club that abide by the same philosophy....another reason I agree with SOTTY...we need a vendor's forum for those of us dedicated to making sure we have parts for our cars as time goes on.

Cheers,

Nick

If your buddy makes a mold and has a couple of them on the shelf, there will always be someone who'd rather pay $150 and say "I'll be really careful with it" than pay $300ish for a better quality built piece. Thats not to say your friend wont make a nice part in FG, but it will crack/break the first time it bumps something like a parking curb or speed bump. Just a thought, but does he do carbon fiber as well? There are some members looking for hoods and airdams in carbon still and I hear rumors that MK1s are NLA. That may be another avenue for your buddy to use the mold if he makes one. He just wont sell nearly as many carbon parts as the cheaper alternative. Niko is on the job for the nearest factory replacements to be had, but Im sure there are some that would rather pay $150 for yours. Keep us posted onyour progress.

BC_99

/\ This!

Plus, I think some of the reason that the MK1 units don't sell much, is I heard they didn't fit quite right. It also seems as if Mookeeh is slowly selling less and less SQ stuff, so they may not even be offering their FG units much longer. There will always be a market for a "cheap" fiberglass alternative to the more expensive and superior flexibility of of a TPO or urethane airdam. I think most people will probably pony up for the felxible unit, but not everyone.You may want to be the guy for those people, especially if MK1 does quit selling SQ stuff entirely.