Blazing in CO

IntercooledFlatty

This is so huge. WA and CO made it legal recreationally (the first two for recreational), and Massachusetts passed it for medicinal, becoming the 18th medicinal state. That's more than 1/3 of the country that now has legalized it. Eventually it will grow more and become legal nationally. There's good money to be made from taxing it. I can remember a time when I thought I'd never see it legalized in my lifetime, and now I wouldn't be suprised if it happened in the next 12-16 years.

And yes, as of now, the feds laws trump state laws, but the DEA has said they won't get involved in the state's business as long as there's no major reprecussions. They've nailed a few big medicinal dispensaries, but they pretty much leave the small scale stuff alone. In the end, the average smoker could legally grow his own supply, as long as he paid taxes on it. He would also be small scale enough to never have to worry about the feds.

• Like 2

In LA we have more medical marijane joints than StarBucks, seriously.

I wonder if this means they will let set free all those peeps serving time for marijuana related offenses?

In the end, the average smoker could legally grow his own supply, as long as he paid taxes on it.

I would like to see how they could justify taxing something you grew for yourself in your own backyard. To do that you would have to tax everyone's vegetable gardens and fruit trees too.

Dude this would be interesting if I was still in ther 6th grade.

I think what people really want is a substance that makes them smarter, not the IQ of a rock.

Then it wouldn't be calle abuse.

Still some people want to forget the tragedies of life or an out for boredom

You still have alcohol, you can't do any better than everclear, plus you can run your car on it.

If you want THC one word Marinol.

The other stuff is just a waste of good fiber.

http://visualeconomics.creditloan.com/losing-effort-the-united-states-war-on-drugs/

I was thinking about this last night. It really baffles me why they end this War on Drugs so they can focus on treatment and enforcement of crimes.

I live in Baltimore where this stuff is all around so its not like I dont see it every day. Police just want to keep the low hanging fruit of drug enforcement so they can keep getting more money from tax payers to target certain groups of people. Politicians are too selfish to look at the economics and science to make policies that would really work.

The US spends about $15 BILLION dollars a year on drug enforcement. Imagine that $15 BILLION going to treatment / other real policing. Most of the property crimes in my neighborhood would disappear over night if crack heads could go somewhere safe to get their fix for free. No need to break into cars for change. No need to rip out people copper pipes for scrap money, no need to rob people on the street to get high. They could get a warm place to sleep so they're not on my front step in the morning. They wouldnt be building fires in abandoned buildings to stay warm at nihgt. That is just on the addict level. This doesnt even begin to touch on organized crimes (lots of latino gangs around here). Just like gangsters during prohibition, they wouldn't be able to survive in a marketplace where drugs were being given away in treatment centers or sold in the bar / pharmacy / dispensary. With gangs out of power, we'd see a drop in all of the initiation crimes, gang killings, turf wars, etc. In addition to the drug use and crime, housing drug offenders in prisons costs billions every year as well. So much money flows through this system its created a business of its own that feeds the politicians who make the laws that perpetuate the broken policies.

Its been proven in Portugal that decriminalizing drugs + treatment reduced drug use by half (http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2011/07/05/ten-years-after-decriminalization-drug-abuse-down-by-half-in-portugal/) Prohibition simply doesn't work. We learned this as a nation in the first half of last century. Why can't we move on?

Interesting note... Maryland is known as The Free State because during prohibition there were no state or local laws prohibiting alcohol and no enforcement by state or local police. The feds could still enforce the Federal laws though. During this time we had some of the lowest crime in our cities compared to other east coast cities.

• Like 1

I would like to see how they could justify taxing something you grew for yourself in your own backyard. To do that you would have to tax everyone's vegetable gardens and fruit trees too.

Tomatoes and apples aren't controlled substances. I would happily pay taxes on it, and I bet other growers would be happy to as well, as long as they had a way to enjoy it legally. Let's see... I can spend $100 on it if I buy a 1/4 illegally. If I try and grow it illegally, it's free, but I risk going to jail. Yet, if it was legal, I could grow what I wanted, and pay $20-25 tax for each 1/4. That's a 75% savings over what I'm paying now illegally, plus it would be allowing me to be legal AND help our nation's economy.

• Like 1

Dude this would be interesting if I was still in ther 6th grade.

I think what people really want is a substance that makes them smarter, not the IQ of a rock.

well, i think it's a great victory for democracy to take back a minor freedom of choice for an individual.

also, if weed is making you dumb, you're smoking too much of it. I know PhD's in mathematics and physics who toke, and they aren't having any issues.

its funny here its illegal but its used so often and by so many people its not even a thing we worry about like even most cops dont care but theres the odd cop that will give you a hard time but only if you have alot or annoying people while doing it. Edited by 88-cnqst-tsi

well, i think it's a great victory for democracy to take back a minor freedom of choice for an individual.

also, if weed is making you dumb, you're smoking too much of it. I know PhD's in mathematics and physics who toke, and they aren't having any issues.

The most respected Sociology professor in my university always returned my research papers smelling a little srange. A classmate cleared it up for me, "this paper smells like the best weed!"

Yep, he was a toker. I learned to turn in my papers already smelling like the good stuff!! :lol:

That is a great defense for others that don't have anything to lose,

or have already forgotten more than you know.

PhD's will probably let you figure that out on your own, ( what undergrads are for).

I think it is great that in a democratic society you can do what ever you want,

but smoking weed is also putting a yoke on the ones that haven't even known what not wearing a yoke feels like in the first place, so the type of person that allows the under-educated to imbibe at their own expense, or in another way of putting it, for their advantage, should be laid to rest.

Making textiles from hemp for example could be very profitable, so it is not compleatly unethical.

Habitual use is what it really comes down to, if some one has the wrong disposition ,

they are being enabled in the guise of freedom or profitabillity to make someone else rich.

Another example would be using resources where other commodities are less profitable

but the necessity for their cultivation is overshadowed by the greed of the market.

You can't have it both ways, people in a capitalist free trade economy are greedy,

that's why controls are needed,

and opening the door to one law just makes it ineviatble that other laws be put in place.

That's the other point to consider and somewhat what others here have mentioned.

I don't think it is the right time for more laws to be taking up judicial resources,

when they are being burdened by the past contentions of greed,

that justice (it is already agreed) will never be met.

To leave it the way it was and lessen the penalties to save us the money,

needed for prosecution would have been enough.

But to open a door that would lead to importation of something that is already difficult to regulate?

The irony of the whole idea an the implications make me sick to think about when considering the future and society.

Alcohol if you have a defense for or have not understand the past and it's affect on mankind is a similar subject.

Edited by Metric-man

federal departments have a history of being hard to close down , do you realy think all those high paid people are going to alow their jobs to be wipe'd out with out a fight ;)

it's like DUI or DWI you have no idea of just how many diff departments they form'd ,because of reduce'd ofenders they keep lowering the alchol limits , befor long any consumption of alchol will be grounds for arrest , they are not going to close all those departments and give up the money that rolls in , with out one hell of a fight

federal departments have a history of being hard to close down , do you realy think all those high paid people are going to alow their jobs to be wipe'd out with out a fight ;)

it's like DUI or DWI you have no idea of just how many diff departments they form'd ,because of reduce'd ofenders they keep lowering the alchol limits , befor long any consumption of alchol will be grounds for arrest , they are not going to close all those departments and give up the money that rolls in , with out one hell of a fight

If they legalized pot law enforcement people wouldn't be out of a job. There's still bad stuff like coke, heroin and meth to go after.

Even if pot was legal I probably wouldn't use it.

Even if pot was legal I probably wouldn't use it.

Yeah, me neither. Been there done that when young and experimental. That stuff is habbit forming and I don't give a crap how much pot smokers say weed is better than smoking cigarrettes. If it makes smoke and you inhale, it's gonna cause cancer.