Trouble shooting low oil pressure, found this in oil pan!

Alan

After driving the car for 2 weeks, did a TB rebuild, new clips etc and few minor things. Cranked on morning and had a awlful sound fron under the hood. Thought a idler arm or alt/pwr steering bearing had gone. By the time I got the hood opened, it quit. Shut down, restarted and everything seemed fine. Ran down to Publix for some beer and cigs. Drove fine, 1 mile not over 40. Next day drove the 13 mies to work. Got off the freeway and noticed oil pressure low, car was cutting out and didn't want to rev. Same on the way home. The primary fan went out and thought it just got warm. New Hayden fan installed and same thing. Tearing apart for suspect oil pump, what a pain, anyway I found this in the oil pan!! OMG where did it come from.

http://i970.photobucket.com/albums/ae184/owenbyj/100_1869.jpg

http://i970.photobucket.com/albums/ae184/owenbyj/100_1868.jpg

HELP! please

Start pulling caps. it came from somewhere. Heck, might as well just yank the motor (sorry).

yeah, sad to say, but that's a crank or rod bearing, and that means they are all probly gone and you probably need a crank grind, rod honed, oil pump and that's just at the least.

Its bent up, and out of focus, but im fairly sure its not a rod/crank bearing.

I wonder if its a bracket for the pickup tube, or something that was attached to the pan?

Good call. The teeth on the ends give it away.

Thanks guys. Don't think rod bearing. The timimg cover is off. So is the oil/BS chain. Dropped the pan to get the oil pump off and pick up tube, thinking that was the problem. That is when I found this. The last year or more I would get a noise when put in gear(auto) suspected the shafts. No knocking, to say, like a rod bearing. So right now I agree with FRO and RobH. Guess I'll get with Dad and get the kit for BSE. Will the oil pump come out without removing the upper bolt to the shaft? Suggestion on breaking the TQ. And to RobH, Sorry I didn't make it by while in Panama City at the pick & pull. Later all and thanks. Alan

so your gonna do this without pulling the rest of the engine? you do realize all the metal has been going through and tearing everything else up? if you can't afford to do it right then how can you afford to do it twice?

so your gonna do this without pulling the rest of the engine? you do realize all the metal has been going through and tearing everything else up? if you can't afford to do it right then how can you afford to do it twice?

actually even worse, if it is the bearing to the BS behind the oil pump, i bet the oil pump is trash from the shaft not being straight twisting the pump the whole time

^^^^^ What they said, all that debris is all thru the oil system, and oil cooler. I have seen crap loaded into rocker shafts from these type of failures. Best to pull the engine and clean/build it.

Dad

Check the bottom of the oil pan, see if you have metal debris. Typically when someone spins a bearing, it grinds up lots of flakes and metal grit, and that metal gets suspended in the oil, and pushed around the system, only to cause scoring damage, and possible blockages.

If you see something like this:

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/oUfdf7NMdkw7jpb57L3TatMTjNZETYmyPJy0liipFm0?feat=directlink

Then you gotta clean the motor :(

Edited by nerdbouy

Calm down guys. I didn't say anything about slapping it back together. I was looking for cause of failure. Thanks for the info and input. I have a oil pump on the way already. The turbo also needs rebuilding. I don't want to do work twice. Spent to long in aviation maintnenace not to do it right the first time. My little Nissan pick up has 260,000 miles gets 25 mpg and I'm the only one that has turned a wrench on it in 14 years. I'll get this done also. As I tear down and find debri I'll post pics. Be getting with "Dad" after I tear it down.

Calm down guys. I didn't say anything about slapping it back together. I was looking for cause of failure. Thanks for the info and input. I have a oil pump on the way already. The turbo also needs rebuilding. I don't want to do work twice. Spent to long in aviation maintnenace not to do it right the first time. My little Nissan pick up has 260,000 miles gets 25 mpg and I'm the only one that has turned a wrench on it in 14 years. I'll get this done also. As I tear down and find debri I'll post pics. Be getting with "Dad" after I tear it down.

sorry I misread your post, you should upgrade the turbo while your at it.. best mod evar, lol

The engine will be out this weekend unless something pops up. Rabbit1, any advice on the turbo?

I have a s16g with a tdo5h hotside clipped to fit stock housing and it is definitely a very nice upgrade, low on the price range, smooth acceleration unless I stomp the gas, then it feels like I hit the NOS, lol. Nothing outrageous, like a small 50 shot or so.

cause of failure is the fact that the BS bearings see twice the wear of the other bearings. those shafts turns at twice the crank speed, so they have twice the number of miles on them. The upper shaft seems to be the most common one to fail, you can pull that cover drivers on the side of the block and get a real good look at it, that's in part what that cover is there for.

The engine is out! Thanks for all your input. Time to tear down and order parts. Gave me a reason to spend 250$ at HF for hoist and stand. Biggest pain was one of the heater core hoses. Good time to clean the engine bay, the body work and paint will have to wait. If you are interested, I'll post updates. Can some one tell me how to post pic's from my FB wall? Or from Skydrive.

http://i970.photobucket.com/albums/ae184/owenbyj/Facebook/Engine%20rebuild/577068_358722954181817_100001323450315_892259_1702117851_n.jpg

Edited by Alan

Thanks Rabbit1, I would need more info on that. I'm new to turbos, would that reguire and other engine mods?

I would make sure your fuel system has been freshened up and that you have an accurate boost and wideband gauge, I have a 1g MAS but can't say if it would be a requirement or not.