Ajusa head gasket and copper spray

19cturbo

copper spray on ajusa  

27 members have voted

1. 1. would you use it

Can't speak for using it with Ajusa h.g's but I used it on my Datsun u20 b/c of the coolant ports... felt better and more confident about pushing it since I had used copper spray. That's about all I can tell you... Ran dome pistons and high compression without an issues.

I would NEVER use copper spray on a HG that is already coated. IMO that stuff is only good for a copper HG or any other gasket that is just metal like the turbo and downpipe gaskets.

Edit: BTW what did you mean by "Crush It"? Crush the gasket? or the spray? ..or?

Edited by psu_Crash

I was running a felpro before, with a large turbo, arp head studs and only 15 psi I was lifting the head off. I could actually hear it. I went to an ajusa and copper spray, and had no issues with 20psi all day long.

I recently put on another head and used the same combo. When I pulled off the last ajusa it was in great condition, no leaking issues.

Shawn

Edited by ESIrType?

I was running a felpro before, with a large turbo, arp head studs and only 15 psi I was lifting the head off. I could actually hear it. I went to an ajusa and copper spray, and had no issues with 20psi all day long.

I recently put on another head and used the same combo. When I pulled off the last ajusa it was in great condition, no leaking issues.

Shawn

there was a guy on the camaro forum running well over 15 or 20 psi on felpro gaskets, don't assume it was the gasket's fault.

by crush it i was refering to the car! lol

i wouldnt think you wuold want to use it on a gasket that is already coated either.. but i dont know. just looking for some options.. i can say that when i built my motor with the 19c boosting 20 everyday never had an issue with the ajusa.

but this gasket looks like its been pushed out. i cant really say i blame the headgasket for failing, looks to me almost like the head lifted enough to push the gasket out a little, and i dont believe in that situation copper spray would have helped at all

by crush it i was refering to the car! lol

i wouldnt think you wuold want to use it on a gasket that is already coated either.. but i dont know. just looking for some options.. i can say that when i built my motor with the 19c boosting 20 everyday never had an issue with the ajusa.

but this gasket looks like its been pushed out. i cant really say i blame the headgasket for failing, looks to me almost like the head lifted enough to push the gasket out a little, and i dont believe in that situation copper spray would have helped at all

See, you already know what you should do. And I don't mean crush it! ;)

AJUSA and copper spray here. At least, I think I recall the Tainters using the copper spray on both AJUSA gaskets we have on our SQs. They have never given an issue, and my Starion has seen 22PSI plus on many occasions.

What are your head studs torqued at that the head is still lifting? Mine are a touch over 90 ft/lb

-Justin

i used motor oil when i torqued them last time and was told to torque to 120. However i did not retorque after heat cycling.. could be the reason it failed. The first time i also did not retorque and that head gasket never failed. also an ajusa.. So the reason this one failed could have been from lack of retorque, or something freak. Who knows..

after idling my engine for 30 minutes to heat cycle, I retorqued my studs and each had almost a half turn until they reached 95lbs again. I plan to retorque after about a half tank of gas or ~100 miles. And then possibly again. I don't want to do a HG again. LOL

-Justin

dude, if it looks like it pushed out to the outside and your fire ring on the hg looks egg shaped, thats detonation. i did it like 5 times before i found the absolute tell tale sign of detonation. a few people kept saying detonation and i kinda thought so but had no real evidence and didnt want to believe them so i tried again and again (5 times) untill the last time i was worried about the bearings, so i pulled the pistons out and viola. there was the sand blasted pitted sorta look on the sides of the pistons between the top ring and the surface. somewhere i found a pic of what detonation did to pistons and it was a dead nut match for the funky spotting i had. thank god i had forged pistons so they did survive. the odd part was that there was no scars or signs of detonation on the top surface of the pistons. thats where i thought i would have seen it the most.

p.s. i still want to know some of the details of what happened sunday night.

details are on the hush hush. sorry lol

i can see no signs of detonation, not on the plugs or anything. like i said, the car never bucked, acted up, nothing.. it just kinda happened peacefully lol.. not sure, hopefully it doesnt happen again.

I've used copper coat on felpro gaskets. I'm currently running a felpro 8770PT on my SQ with no issues. I have never had a HG issue with a SQ. I wonder if some of the HG issues people have are caused by installation errors.

I've used copper coat on felpro gaskets. I'm currently running a felpro 8770PT on my SQ with no issues. I have never had a HG issue with a SQ. I wonder if some of the HG issues people have are caused by installation errors.

could be, the ajusa says to retorque and i did not. id very well say some could be from installation errors.

could be, the ajusa says to retorque and i did not. id very well say some could be from installation errors.

Well I have never re-torqued a head gasket. I checked the torque on a HG once without loosening the bolts on my galaxie. But I have never loosened head bolts for a re-torque. I think that could cause issues. Felpro gaskets are permatorque for a reason. They say do not re-tourque or no re-torque required on the instructions. I only use felpro gaskets. The ajusa is too thick for my taste.

I've used it on multi layer steel gaskets. The AJUSA gasket already comes with a special coating on top, I dont thinks its necessary on one of those.

And I've never retorqued an AJUSA gasket and never had a problem with those gaskets. Heck, the only thing I came across was the head cracked instead of the gasket failing!

So the reason this one failed could have been from lack of retorque, or something freak. Who knows..

I know... it's because you didn't re-torque it FAIL. And you were lifting the head... FAIL. Did you use ARP moly lube when torquing??

Felpros are PT (permatorque) now because people can't read/follow instructions saying that you need to retorque the head gasket after heat cycling the engine.

When you're pushing enough boost, you'll lift the head and eventually blow a head gasket. On this MPI car we were tuning with an AJUSA, it lifted the head just enough to pressurize the cooling system... a retorque fixed that problem before blowing the gasket.

-Robert