Is this piston wear or what?

SunStreaker

Its not from the rings being aligned the same way with a gap because its smoother on that strip its almost like a mirror like polish up and down. No carbon build up just more polished than the rest like more contact or wear? And the engine was rebuilt, no carbon buildup anywhere. Everything is new and clean.

It seems like there is more contact in that area resulting in a polished surface. Can I pull just that one piston? What else would I need to do? The compression was fine across all cylinders.

Edited by SunStreaker

Look for the spacer between the oil control rings to be over lapped. The ends are supposed to butt to each other but if not paying attention they end up overlapped and the control rings jamb then stick out and can cause that.

Look for the spacer between the oil control rings to be over lapped.  The ends are supposed to butt to each other but if not paying attention they end up overlapped and the control rings jamb then stick out and can cause that.

If this is the problem what would the solution be?

even if both ring gaps were togather the wear mark would not be that large,,

check ring gap in cyl bore with out piston

is that a crack in the 2'd ring land between that ring and the oil ring land

finding std rings on over size'd pistons is not uncommon

That last picture shows detonation damage, those burned marks on the top of the piston are burnt away alloy. I'm guessing you said you lined the gaps up on purpose for the picture? Its possible that will hone back out but I'd put that piston in another hole and get a new set of rings and start over. I'd have all the cylinders honed again and use those cheap moly Hasting rings you can get off ebay for about $15.00.

Those little lines cut around the diameter, those are supposed to reduce the possibility of detonation by dispersing the heat quicker. There's some burnt away and as that was just laying above that ring after it burnt off when it went up and down that's what caused this. I've seen this a few times. You'll see blown up motor pictures with similar markings. The good part is that was aluminum and that's not as bad as steel so just have it honed, get new rings and put it back together. Don't put any ring end gap there just to be safe.

http://i.imgur.com/9cwv0.jpg

Edited by Indiana

Indian I did line up the rings for the picture. And detonation seems like a very good explanation because the previous owner of the engine has fuel issues that he said resulted of a kinked fuel hose. So to repair detonation damage, rehone shuffle the pistons? I also found a little copper fragment very tiny in the oil pan, and there was metal in the oil. The metal in the oil was very small like sparkles, probably from the pistons or the cylinder wall?

I also found a little copper fragment very tiny in the oil pan, and there was metal in the oil. The metal in the oil was very small like sparkles, probably from the pistons or the cylinder wall?

Not what you want to hear but that could be from the engine bearings.