lets walk the diesel talk

zmcreynolds

• 2 weeks later...
i had to swap oil pans, put in a oil return on the starion oil pan for the vac. pump on the alt. and then cut off the flang of the diesel oil pickup tube and weld it to the starion oil pickup tube. but now its down, putting in a new rad., e.g.t., front one piece bumper and other lil nit noids.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
so the TDStarion is doing great. i have done a few 3hr highway runs with no problems.water and e.g.t.'s stay low, boost comes on almost instantly and just pulls to the rev. limit. the only problem i have is people in my way. i went through the injection pump on fri. and tuned it for more fuel, im now pushing 20psi like it aint no thang. stock was 10, gonna keep playing with it and probably stop at 25. but now i have a really really fun car. tossing out smoke, squealing tires, trq out the wazoo, guessing 35+mpg(caint keep my foot off the throttle) and its fairly quick too. now its time for paint

• 5 weeks later...
so the TDStarion is down. needs a new clutch. i guess 30lbs o boost is to much. other than that the car is still running great, 40ish mpg on the highway. after clutch comes bigger turbo, intake mani, and then 3in exhaust. and that will be all i can do without ripping the engine apart. Edited by zmcreynolds

is there anything in the US that these motors come in?

to the best of my knowledge, nothing.

the 4d55 were in mighty max,ford ranger,

monteros, and a few other things

Edited by zmcreynolds

83-85 mighty max and ram 50's there was a ford ranger that had this but there were many many changest to that. over the big mud puddle there were Pajeros, and many more. but those were 4d55 not the 4d56 the only diff in them is the head. and if you think starquest parts are hard to find,,,,,,,,build one of these diesel motors. actually the market has opened up some for parts but,,,, i did have pistons shipped in from ausy land for 1k.......5yrs ago. took 4 months too .lol......
  • Like 1

• 9 months later...
so I replaced my clutch in oct. of last year. broke it in all winter, all was well till mid march. I did a full throttle hammering, boost hit 35lbs, smoke was rising up from the shifter boot by the time I hit 4th, the clutch masters 6 puck clutch and stock flywheel were lost.http://i1332.photobucket.com/albums/w601/TDStarion/IMG_0132_zps195c6042.jpghttp://i1332.photobucket.com/albums/w601/TDStarion/IMG_0133_zps0727b65b.jpg now I gots me a new competition clutch sprung 4 puck and 240mm flywheel with a total of 4lb weight loss form the old flywheel clutch combo to the new combo.http://i1332.photobucket.com/albums/w601/TDStarion/IMG_0121_zps3e5a09ab.jpg http://i1332.photobucket.com/albums/w601/TDStarion/IMG_0122_zps50e8b148.jpg Edited by zmcreynolds

importwarrior, rev's max out at about 5k and as for the power, maybe 200+hp and 300+ft/lb don't really know. Edited by zmcreynolds

• 3 weeks later...
I am sorry to say the TD Starion will not be at the Mesquite meet. I have family plans that will take up that weekend. In other news, I just got done doing a trip to Tx.. just under 1000 miles, 80 mph, fuel pump turned up for 30lbs o boost, 38mpg. I went from vernal,ut to Amarillo,tx (760 miles) on one tank. not to bad. im sure I can get more mpg if I detuned the fuel pump had lower boost and went a bit slower, but who wants to do that. 5th gear up and over Vail pass (10,600ft), never missing a beat. no problems, no hiccups, nothing. this thing is unstoppable.
  • Like 1

• 5 months later...

what do these motors come in?

... um, other countries?

I know its in various models of monteros. When I was in Ireland the gen2 montero is a comon sight on the road and has that motor. When I was looking on their craigslist equivelant for euro-spec montero lights, those motors were plentily available. Almost wanted to bring one home with me.

Btw op, you are my hero. I always wondered why turbo diesel swaps were never realy done in sports cars. There is a guy who put a duromax turbo diesel in a c3 vette. This I feel is better. 4cyl diesel seams more appropriate for a sports car aplication.

Edited by Malykaii