I Ran Across This USA/County Gas Price Map Today. Wanna See How Bad Those Gas Taxes that You Pay Affects The Cost Of Your Gas ?

I ran across this map today on www.gasbuddy.com which shows the costs of gas in each county in the USA.

http://www.atlantaga..._By_County.aspx

How can one attribute the differences in gas per state, county and city? Simple - their taxes on a gallon of already inflated gasoline.

Something to note to prove my point. See the Northeastern corner of Indiana adjacent to Chicago? Red counties are $4.13 - $4.23 per gallon. But in a close county about 50 miles away the cost is $3.83 - $3.93. Then you look at the price of gas in Chicago about 100 miles away - >$4.23/gallon.

Then you look at the dark green counties for a comparision.

Take a look at the entire USA and you may be Dramatically surprised.

For What It's Worth.

KEN

Crazy is right.. like green bay is always more than milwaukee and the population difference (more gas users) is way more in milwaukee

the reason chicago and surrounding area is so badly affected is because of emissions. from what i have been told we have some more additives to help with emissions. those 2 red counties are the only 2 in indiana that require emission testing also.

the reason chicago and surrounding area is so badly affected is because of emissions. from what i have been told we have some more additives to help with emissions. those 2 red counties are the only 2 in indiana that require emission testing also.

Nawh!! I don't think so.

Here is another map showing the AVERAGE gas taxes paid/gallon of gas/across an entire state. Look at Indiana and Illinois. I'd have cardiac arrest if I lived in California!!!

http://1.bp.blogspot...tatetgastax.jpg

For What It's Worth.

KEN

its 3.98 for regular.. but i drove to Burlington a couple weeks ago and it was 9 cents cheaper a gallon there.. (than what it was in GB) Edited by Starquest86

Nawh!! I don't think so.

Here is another map showing the AVERAGE gas taxes paid/gallon of gas/across an entire state. Look at Indiana and Illinois. I'd have cardiac arrest if I lived in California!!!

http://1.bp.blogspot...tatetgastax.jpg

For What It's Worth.

KEN

I'm in California. It sucks. I don't do much after I get home from work. I plan my trips out and drive only where I need to. I'm waiting for the weather to get better so I can start using my motorcycle.

We get hosed in Cali. Highest sales tax, highest fuel tax, highest everything tax. All that fuel tax money is supposed to go to maintaining and fixing our roads, but our roads a really crappy.

I just saw $5.49 for Diesel and about the same price for premium. The closer you get to LA County, the prices go up and even more so in City of Los Angeles.

world average for gas,, has NO meaning , the US was set up requireing the use of automobiles , most of the world is not .

and saying ride a bike or walk or take the buss :) shows just how little you know about your own country

ain't no darn buss's in the county or outer area's where many live

All my autos/boats/waverunners take super grade gasoline, but I'm not complaining because NJ has some of the lowest taxes levied on petrol. I returned two weeks ago from a business trip to London and their petrol prices are ridiculous compared to the US (especially when converting from US dollars to British pounds). Thanks for posting the link... interesting comparison b/w states.

The US may have been set up for automobiles, but that is slowly biting us in the tail. We are not entitled to cheap gas just because our infrastructure was set up to take advantage of cheap gas, that is the first fallacy that must be overcome. The only way to drive down energy prices long term is to use less energy as a result of increasing population density in urban/suburban areas.

Also, different states have different ways of paying for things, in many states (California and Illinois for example), fuel taxes are levied to maintain and construct roads and highways, and in some cases, help pay for public transportation. Other states have different ways of aggregating funding to cover those costs, so they may not necessarily be present in whatever gas taxes exist. Also, states have different operating expenses, Wyoming, with it's meager population and utter lack of public transit, doesn't need to impose gasoline taxes and in some cases may subsidize fuel costs to spur other economic activity that benefits the state.

This energy crisis is a major problem in the US because lower income earners are tied to a transportation system that eats up a large (and growing) portion of their spending. European countries (and China) bet heavily on modern rail transport, whereas we are still using 50yo trains and train regulations to govern transport of freight and people. While their gas is more expensive, they have an easier time opting out of vehicle ownership because of access to alternate transit. In America if you live in the suburbs, not owning a car is a less economically viable alternative than owning a car in most cases. This feeling of "mandatory" vehicle ownership contributes to the entitlement fallacy, compounded by the aforementioned increase in "mandatory" spending, while income inequality is growing and real (inflation adjusted) income growth among middle and lower class wage earners has remained stagnant over the last few decades.

In summary: while that map has useful information if you are trying to determine the average price of fuel in Wyoming as compared to California, linking that raw data at a given timeframe to a political agenda is absurd. The idea that politics can depress fuel prices back to $2/gallon is unrealistic. Even if all federal, state, local, taxes were removed from the cost of a gallon of gasoline, we still wouldn't be at $2. The presidential candidates that claim to have the ability to reduce gasoline costs down to $2/gallon are pandering, showboating, and ultimately lying to you. Inputs like crude oil costs and (more often) speculation by commodities traders has more of an effect on your fill-up cost than your government's tax policy. If you looked at a chart that compared the amount you pay in taxes on a gallon of gasoline compared to the total cost of a gallon of gasoline, that chart would actually trend DOWN for the reasons I mentioned earlier.

Sorry for the rant, I tried to be as respectful as possible.

I'm gonna go fix my 50mpg motorcycle now :)

Don't apologize. That was a very well formulated, and factual reply to this thread.

On that note, I like seeing the increase of smaller cars now ( e.g. Smart car, Scion IQ, Mazda 2, Ford Fiesta, Fiat 500 )

In summary: while that map has useful information if you are trying to determine the average price of fuel in Wyoming as compared to California, linking that raw data at a given timeframe to a political agenda is absurd. The idea that politics can depress fuel prices back to $2/gallon is unrealistic. Even if all federal, state, local, taxes were removed from the cost of a gallon of gasoline, we still wouldn't be at $2. The presidential candidates that claim to have the ability to reduce gasoline costs down to $2/gallon are pandering, showboating, and ultimately lying to you. Inputs like crude oil costs and (more often) speculation by commodities traders has more of an effect on your fill-up cost than your government's tax policy. If you looked at a chart that compared the amount you pay in taxes on a gallon of gasoline compared to the total cost of a gallon of gasoline, that chart would actually trend DOWN for the reasons I mentioned earlier.

my new hero