The Nutrition- work out, eat right, how to loose weight and get in shape thread.

Ironside

Late 30's ( I'm 38 ) seem to be kicking my but. Getting stiff, sore and less energetic.

I'm looking for ideas and suggestion and/ or what you have done to fight the battle of the bulge.

So list a link, nutrition plan, work out plan or hobbie that you do to stay in shape.

I quit smoking about a year and a half ago and I can breath again but I eat like a pig so I need to change things up before I can't see my feet.

thanks

Perry

Stop driving, start pushing...

What ever you come up with let me know.

I too quit smoking five years ago, this is probably the time when everything tastes Soooo good.

And I was always tired for the first 2 years.

Good luck

Tae

Im 30 and ive been active since I was a kid with sports ect. Around 27 I got pretty lazy and stopped everything. Eating late, eating like crap, drinking, and being lazy made me get big. I put on 30lb within a year. After going from a size 30 to 34-35 inch waist and a L t shirt I knew I couldn't let it get any worse. Now I hit the gym 4 days a week. If I dont hit the gym I def try to hop on my bicycle and ride for at least 30 hard minuets.

In a nutshell this is my routine

Mon, Tues, Thurs, & Fri I spend an hour at the gym. I start with 10-15min the treadmill then move to weights by muscle group

If I have time on Wed & or Sat I hop on my bicycle and ride to get a decent run in

I also try to eat as healthy as possible but that just doesnt always go as planned. With the Fiance pregnant ive been eating some of her cravings with her :)

Find on Hulu and/or Netflix.

Forks Over Knives

Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead

Watch these videos and discover WHY we in the western world are becoming obese.

L4S

This is good advice. Those are both excellent.

Beyond that, you really do have to count calories after 35 if you don't want to be unhealthy. Once you start counting, you'll naturally select better foods, because you won't want one donut to take up 1/4 of your day's caloric intake. Even for people who can just eat anything and never gain weight, many nutritionists now advocate restricted calorie diets whether you're trying to lose weight or not. It's turning out to be kinda' good for you to be hungry every once in a while. Has sort of a cleansing effect.

Americans grossly over-consume. And I fear we've been duped by agencies like the dairy lobby for years. "Milk, it does a body good". Maybe, but this is the only place in the world where the people consume the milk of another mammal at the rates we do. Search for and read the China study. I never thought I'd see the day when I thought skim milk was bad for me, but it's getting that way. I now eat all of my cereal with unsweetened soy milk. On the right cereal it tastes fine, and at 35 calories a cup it frees up a few calories for actual eating during the day.

There's no secret though, except perhaps consistency. Work out, often, and for the rest of your life, and eat less than 1800 calories a day. You'll be amazed how well you feel.

Edited by chiplee

Stop eating McDonalds....and every other fried food on the planet. Get P90x, nothing comes for free. Work your tail off, eat right, drop weight. You drop 40 lbs and you will feel like a new man. Crap I am running 20 lbs over fighting weight right now and I feel like garbage. But tomorrow is a new day. You just have to declare war...it's that simple. There is no easy way, no get ripped quick scheme. You do the work, eat well, drop weight and feel better.

This is good advice, we naturally eat horrible here in the states, most people never consider where there food even comes from. And. It's been proven no matter how good dairy foods are, our bodys are not made to digest them. Exercise and eat more whole grains. That's the best place to start. Stay away from processed foods is a big one also. Fast food is a big reason were the number one obease country.

Edit: check out the movie "food inc." You will think twice about eating fast food and processed foods again.

Edited by QuickMitz

Go running... and that means real running, not that jogging or walking BS. I'm talking about pushing yourself to run as fast as you can for as long as you can everyday

You don't have to do marathons, or half marathons, or even 5Ks... just run as far as you can until it feels like your body can't carry you any further, then go another mile

THIS will make you get in shape better than any other type of exercise ever

Running's not for me..lol, I do like to ride a bike though and its not so hard on my knees. I'm not a big swimmer but those who have access to a pool or body of water whatever I've always heard its a great way to stay fit, easy on the joints too.

Running's not for me..lol, I do like to ride a bike though and its not so hard on my knees. I'm not a big swimmer but those who have access to a pool or body of water whatever I've always heard its a great way to stay fit, easy on the joints too.

Running is too boring for me. I hop on my fixed gear and haul tail

I don't like running either, and I never said you have to like it, but I guarantee 100% that it will get you fitter faster than just about any other type of exercise for the amount of time put into it

With that said, I love biking and recommend it

Running is too boring for me. I hop on my fixed gear and haul tail

Fixies aren't too good for your legs as you can't keep a proper cadence while peddling but I'm sure you know the cons of it already, but if you didn't I would recommend a single speed with a freewheel over a fixed gear

Edited by leesfer

What or I should clarify how you are motivated is the key.

Is that motivation something that is meaningful to you,

as reality starts to settle in and you look in the mirror do you like what you see

and if an emergency or stressful situation presented itself

like trying to protect yourself or some one you deeply care about would you be able to ?

Do you have a competive streak in your personallity? Then compete in something athletic.

If you do something you like you'll stay with it more as a goal than just going to the gym

going to the gym is really just to sharpen you abillity to your athletic skill or pass time

and pass time is a good word to use because it should be something that you do to pass time

If you burn the calories you don't have to count them

but watch your cholesterols and type and quality of the foods you eat,

not all dariy is bad there are some benificial probiotics in yoghurt if you get the good not the sugary stuff.

Don't forget minerals and benificial enzimes as well as vitamins from fresh alive foods.

If you cut out anything , cut out sugars and added salts

Read lables or cook your own food you'll more about know whats in it then wondering whats been added

(some perservatives can kill you)

Fixies aren't too good for your legs as you can't keep a proper cadence while peddling but I'm sure you know the cons of it already, but if you didn't I would recommend a single speed with a freewheel over a fixed gear

Actually want to start looking for a road bike soon

Edited by RonnieJ

I'm in the same boat as you. I am trying to get healthy for the first time in a long time.

I'm working on quiting smoking and starting to eat better.

I have been eating fast food about 8 times a week because i'm always on the road. I've started making my own lunches that wont spoil while on the jobsite and cut out all soft drinks and energy drinks. I was dirinking one or two 16oz Monster drinks a day, that was like 1000 cals right there.

Good luck to all that focus on a better future.

Actually want to start looking for a road bike soon

If you have Performance bikes near your area I recommend their house brand, Scatante. They are Fuji built frames with higher quality components than other bikes in their price range... I picked up mine for under $1000 with a full Ultegra set

• Like 1

If you have Performance bikes near your area I recommend their house brand, Scatante. They are Fuji built frames with higher quality components than other bikes in their price range... I picked up mine for under $1000 with a full Ultegra set

Cheaper than my fixed (NJS)! I will def look into that. Thanks

Actually its a common misconception that fixed gear bicycles are bad for your legs and knee's. If you are running a proper gear ratio its just fine and in fact can help strengthen joints. I work as a salesman and mechanic at a local specialty bike shop and regularly have customers tell me that they have heard that.

Allen

Edited by speedyquest

I dont have knee issues its just a lot harder for me to ride with a lot of hills. Im from Arizona and riding fixed there isnt nearly as hard as it is in VA. Thats why I want the road bike

Valid point about the dairy, I personally love dairy foods. And yogurt is extremely good for you, puts good bacteria in your body which helps fight bad bacteria. My son eats yogurt every day and he's five and has never had the flu. It's the processing that causes the most harm to our diets. Natural suger is not as bad for you but most people probably don't even know that it exist. I think the biggest problem is that we have for the most part been misled by advertising and lack of knowlege of what is healthy on a wide scale.

Diabetes is going to take over in our lifetime as the number one killer and fifty years ago it was utterly unheard of. The food companies add sugers and salt to everything that we eat. Salt on its own isn't terrible we actually need a certain amount of it in our diets but it's become a problem because the packaged foods we buy have so much of it in it as preservatives. Best thing to do as stated above is to eat as much fresh foods as you can and watch your bad food intake. It's like running bad gas it eventually causes problems and then you need an overhaul. I quit eating fast food compleatly a few years back and I've never felt better, now I just need to exercise more..

Actually its a common misconception that fixed gear bicycles are bad for your legs and knee's. If you are running a proper gear ratio its just fine and in fact can help strengthen joints. I work as a salesman and mechanic at a local specialty bike shop and regularly have customers tell me that they have heard that.

Allen

If you're properly fitted and running a decent gear then the riding is fine as long as your cadence is working with your pedals but as soon as your knees are forced to resist the force of your pedal during braking or times where you are meant to use your freewheel to coast is where issues can build up.

Using any joint, on your body or not, to resist a force isn't good for it

Edited by leesfer

I'm in the same spot you are man. I'm 36 and about 25-30 lbs over weight. I know exactly what I'm doing wrong, over indulging, not enough physical activity, over indulging the wrong types of food and the right types of food as well.

Feeling stiffer, lazier and less energetic and I am not fooling myself as I know exactly why. It's changing lifestyle habits that is difficult to do. I used to run up to 10 miles a day, some weight lifting, a lot of calisthenics.

Simple tips I was given by a nutritionist, anything that comes packaged or processed and has a long ingredient list, is not good for you and serves little to no nutritional value.

Around here fixed gears = hipsters.

Anyway, back on topic. Motivation is the hardest part for me, after long days on my feet and soooo many people and things that need my attention, I don't feel like exercising. What I need to do is to make a certain time exercise time. I love running, so that's what I'll probably do.

-Robert