Loss of power, wont move under own power

alwayskashed

The car in question is stock, just trying to get an idea of whats going on. I was driving it home one night and the car kept losing power. It got to the point where I had to almost try and launch it to get it moving again. Now its at the point where it will start up and idle but will not move, as in it wont climb up a 1'' cement slab. Ive done a little bit of looking around and noticed that 2 bolts must have backed out of the exhaust manifold and there is now several cracks in the manifold itself. I know this will cause a lack of power, but would this cause such a complete loss, and if not what else could it be?.

not sure about timing, injector clips looked good, fuel pressure im unsure about. plugs are ngkbpr6es, no vacuum leaks that im aware of they are all zip tied(thanks dsms). Didnt see any holes or anything in the intercooler pipes and they are all on tight. Car was running good for 3 or so months in a row without messing with anything, so just kind of a sudden problem. Like i said it will start up and idle fine, just not really anything when you give it gas.

If it idles fine but got no go when clutch engaged then make sure the MAS plugged in. I did a bunch of work and took off or at least tried to and thought I jacked her up but all i did was forget to plug in MAS. Remember it will idle and rev okay until under load. If ya have a spare swap em if other is a known good one.

Injector clips LOOKED good? Are they original? If so, replace them. Whether that's the problem or not you'll need it soon anyway, and they are prone for causing running issues...but it sure sounds like waht mine did when I lost the secondary due to a bad clip.

Occasionally, about once every 2 to 3 years, I have had similiar situations happen almost instantly and it wound up being that the EFI ECU got confused/the ram was over loaded or whatever. Try disconnecting the negative battery terminal for about 5 minutes. Then reconnect the negative terminal and start her back up and see what happens.

It's sort of like doing a shut down, waiting a while so extraneous files clear out and then rebooting your PC when it locks up. You should be aware that even tho the ignition switch is in the OFF position, the EFI ECU still has power to it whenever the battery is charged and hooked up - and it won't clear itself.

If that doesn't work, reply saying so and then there is much more to start checking.

For What It's Worth.

KEN

Thanks alot for the advice guys, its dark out now but tomorrow ill take a look at the injector clips again. To be honest I dont know if they are the original or not as I just bought the quest a few months ago. As for dirty old man Ill try swapping the battery again I need to get another one anyway as the quest and my dsm have been splitting a battery depending on which one is currently running at the moment.

• 1 year later...

I run bpr6es' fine with no problems.

;) Spark Plugs aren't his problem. NGK BUR7EA-11s won't solve it either. If it was my car I might check out the I/C,MAS and Vacuum Hoses. Try this: Buy a can of Starting Fluid, start the car up and spray the Starting Fluid on all the hoses under the hood (one at a time). Do things change as far as Idle? If so, you have either a leaking hose or a bad hose connection. Also. If your Fuel Filters are clogged, that could present a problem. There are five of them:

One at the Fuel Pick up (IN TANK).

One at the Fuel Pump inlet.

One under the hood prior to going into the Throttle Body.

One under each Fuel Injector.

To the original Poster:

If you don't know what your Fuel Pressure is, Install a Fuel Pressure Gauge to find out. Stock FP at Idle should be appox:35 to 38 PSI. So, if your running 10 PSI Boost, your Fuel Pressure needs to show between 45 to 48 PSI on full boost. If you don't show the Fuel PSI numbers listed above....Check out your Fuel Pressure Regulator, Fuel Injectors and Fuel filters.

You might want to download the Factory Service Manual here: http://www.starquestgarage.com to have the same information as I just supplied to you.

Bill

Edited by Caliber308

Well your gunna want to run ngk bur7ea11's. Not the ones you have.

But Idk if that would all of a sudden cause it to lose power..

someone else will chime in I'm sure but that's just my 2 cents.

The Spark Plugs the Poster is using wouldn't cause his problems. Unless they are old, and fouled out from running too rich. I see a Vacuum leak in the hoses or a lack of Fuel Pressure. But. With these cars....I could be wrong :D

Bill

Edited by Caliber308

• 2 weeks later...
The fuel dampener is on the output side of the fuel pump.if you take it off make sure you take note where the crush washer are (there are 2 and they are different) becasue it will only work the one way