Thinking of purchasing a Firearm.

Minagera

Depends on waht you feel most comfortable with. Lots of people like the shotguns for home protection,other people are more comfortable with handguns.

I use a variety. We have a 20 gauge on my wife's side of the bed, then a Glock 9mm that we either keep on my side, or elsewhere in the house. That or it's in my wife's purse.

We need to get some smaller concealmant guns now that we have our CHLs. The Glock is a bit difficult to hide when I'm wearing just a t shirt and shorts.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm with Mainstream, get you a Mossberg model 500. I've got a 500 "Persuader" in 12ga for home defense, 18-1/2" barrel, 8 shell tube. I got it at a local gun joint for like $225.

Then get a fun little .22 for plinking, I've got a Henry lever action .22, probably the coolest little gun I've owned. Marlin and Savage also make great .22 cal guns that are very affordable.

If you wanna get something that shoots pistol rounds, look into a company called "Hi-Point", they make some pretty interesting stuff that'll throw 9mm, .45, and I think .38 or .357.

http://www.henryrepeating.com/index.cfm

http://www.hi-pointfirearms.com/

Edited by dmyers151

Don't even bother with "hi point" or "lorcin" there are a couple other cheap brand automatics like those you want to steer Way away from they are cheap guns and you Do Not want a cheap pistol you may need to rely on to save you live or your families life. I have a lorcin and it's a pile of steaming you know what it jams all the time even with non hollow points sprayed down with a little silicone spray to help them chamber better (Trick my uncle taught me with cheap guns). Cheap revolvers are slightly better in the "cheap" department since they aren't as prone to failing and are much simpler but don't have the amount of bullets and take a lot longer to reload. Handguns aren't really the best bet for home defense Unless your cool under pressure and have a lot of training with them, a 12 gauge shotgun loaded with bird shot then, '00' buck shot, followed by a slug or two is really the best. It's dark your scared adrenaline is pulsing through you and if all else fails you can beat somebody half to death with an empty shotgun... not to mention there is nothing more intimidating than the sound of a 12 gauge round being chambered in the dead of the night that alone could scare an attacker away. Edited by Project83

Choosing a firearm should not be taken lightly----everything must be considered(wall construction/bedrooms not to mention what u can shoot with confidence.)I myself have a shotgun and 17 handguns between me and the wife and we rotate what we carry as not to get lazy with one or the other---some have lights some lasers and a couple scoped but being familiar with ur firearm is most important---a shotgun is great for home defense with the right load but recoil is stout from 12gauge----i have an original judge revolver and it is fun to shoot and thats what is in my drawer next to bed when i sleep(and i sleep well)---solid platform with the .410 and 45colt---my freedom arms 83 shoots the 45colt and 454casull(now thats a stout round)---just be sure ur comfortable shooting and handleing the weapon b4 u buy so as not to be disapointed---do not buy it cause u read an article on line that someone said its the best or it looks cool----

gig out

Edited by DMNDSTAR87

upper pistol

http://vehock.dyndns.org/guns/Family/9UC_380CC_2.jpg

Bersa Thunder 9mm. I shoot and clean it regularly. almost a thousand and half rounds through it and no jams/misfire ever. what use is a gun if the one time you need it, it misfires or jams? Keep it working and cleaned with a quality ammo.

i shoot reloads at the range when i'm just having fun, but i keep some nice HPs in the magazine at home

Edited by jahjah

Strictly for home defense I like an 870, effective, you can choose your load and you have many options. Plus every person on the planet knows the sound of a shotgun cycling. I have several 870's. Some for tactical things, some for fun, one for home defense. Shorty barrel simple mods. I used to carry tactical buck but when we started having kids I switched to birdshot. Not as powerful but itll have an effect and virtually no chance of penetration through walls. If the first round isn't effective I figure the consecutive ones will be, especially since follow up shots would be with the shooter sprinting at the bad guy LOL.

personaly i'd not recomend a pistal grip for a 12ga , that prety much makes the gun useless sept for home defence and odds are it'l never be need'd

nothing better then clay shooting to get you relax'd with a new gun

but best check with local laws,,just because some one is in your home don't automaticly give you the right to kill them , it could be your teenager comeing home late drunk, or the old man :) or the guy next door esp in places where every house looks the same to a drunk :)

I have read every post in this thread.What bothers me the most about some of the members replies is recommending cheap firearms for Home Defense. You get what you pay for. I personally don't really care what the firearm costs, as long as it is a well built and reliable and has a proven track record. This is why I recommended the Remington 870 Wingmaster. They are in high demand for their workmanship and reliability. So what if they cost from $300 to $400.00...If my life depended on what type of shotgun I had in my hand....It would be the 870 Wingmaster. P.S. For personal protection at home, I use a Glock 17 with a compensated barrel, custom hand grip and built in finger touch pad Laser sight. Yea, it is well over $1000.00. But, I feel safe depending on it and I am very proficient in using it, and that is all that matters to me.

Bill

Edited by Caliber308

I taught my wife if she thinks someone is following her to go to a public place like a gas station and to never go near the house, in case they come by later. Two instances someone tried to follow me home, first time it turned into a car chase and eventually I got away. Second time I smartened up and just went to a gas station, and they clearly let the guy following me know they were on the phone with the police.

Anyway... twin chrome 9mm's with diamond bullets to match them.

-Robert

My wife decided she don't need me to teach her- she went and got her concealed carry! We both did and carry Ruger lcp 380's For home defense a Taurus 1911 would do a nice job.

Dad

Anyway... twin chrome 9mm's with diamond bullets to match them.

-Robert

Robert,

If you use "Silver Bullets" in your 9mm.....You can kill Werewolves in Oregon too :lol: :lol:

Bill

Dad,

I absolutely fell in love with my LCP. Ot is perfect for my "active lifestyle". I carry it everywhere in the summer. In the winter I still carry a full size 1911 or my Sig 226 but for shorts and t-shirt weather the LCP allows me to carry and still tuck in a shirt. I digress....

Robert,

A laser? I'm surprised by that. Blah, why not a built in tac light that could be more useful?

(hijack font)

It is my opinion that lasers are more of a hindrance than help. In daylight they are virtually useless. In low light they are not bright enough to blind the target but serve to give away your position. They detract from fundamental shooting skills and in a low light condition with a discharge they will only be good for the first shot. The muzzle flash will make it all but impossible to detect the location of the laser after the first shot, then you fall back on fundamentals again (sight alignment trigger squeeze). So, in conclusion, a good tac light will serve to disorient a target, allow for good sight picture, light up said bad guy so you can see them better, can be used for multiple shots and encourage the basics.

(end hijack font)

Thoughts?

I'm with Cal... Nobody should be using "cheap gun" and "personal protection" in the same sentence unless that sentence is... DO NOT buy a cheap gun to use for personal protection.

Cheap guns are great for blowing rounds thru at a range or plinking targets out in the back 40, but any gun I carry or keep for personal protection use must be a reliable gun that is always maintained very well.

That being said, always make sure you are proficent with what ever you use for protection. I know some guys that use cheap guns for target practice in order to make sure their protection guns are always kept clean and in awesome shape. That's great, but you also gotta be good with that protection gun. You can become a master marksman with one of your cheap guns, then pick up the good gun and because of a different grip angle or other difference in the guns, you may not be very good with hitting what you want with the good gun because you haven't fired it near as much as the other gun.

Maybe I'm biased tho... If it weren't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all, so I can totally see that if I tried to use a cheap gun to defend myself, it would be certain to jam. It would suck to lose my life over trying to save a couple hundred bucks on a gun.

Edited by Burton

Dad,

I absolutely fell in love with my LCP. Ot is perfect for my "active lifestyle". I carry it everywhere in the summer. In the winter I still carry a full size 1911 or my Sig 226 but for shorts and t-shirt weather the LCP allows me to carry and still tuck in a shirt. I digress....

Robert,

A laser? I'm surprised by that. Blah, why not a built in tac light that could be more useful?

(hijack font)

It is my opinion that lasers are more of a hindrance than help. In daylight they are virtually useless. In low light they are not bright enough to blind the target but serve to give away your position. They detract from fundamental shooting skills and in a low light condition with a discharge they will only be good for the first shot. The muzzle flash will make it all but impossible to detect the location of the laser after the first shot, then you fall back on fundamentals again (sight alignment trigger squeeze). So, in conclusion, a good tac light will serve to disorient a target, allow for good sight picture, light up said bad guy so you can see them better, can be used for multiple shots and encourage the basics.

(end hijack font)

Thoughts?

If you can't make out what your going to shoot at.......DON'T PULL THE TRIGGER. Laser, TAC Light or Night Sights.The laser I have mounted on my Glock is bright in daylight, and cost me a bunch for that feature, almost as much as the gun itself (Minus the Compensated barrel and Custom Grip).P.S. The Laser I have installed is a CRCD Laser Systems Group unit. It is 10 times brighter than other lasers and costs 3 times as much. I can also see it after the first muzzle flash ;) I have used it in daylight,indoor range lighting and total darkness with the same accurate results. Like I stated before, You get what you pay for.

Bill

Edited by Caliber308

Cheap guns are great for blowing rounds thru at a range or plinking targets out in the back 40, but any gun I carry or keep for personal protection use must be a reliable gun that is always maintained very well.

That being said, always make sure you are proficent with what ever you use for protection.

I fully agree with that statement.

Bill

I chose for a taclight. i forget who makes mine, but i can easily just toggle it on constant, flash or hold to keep lit.which is nice, so some burglar or something doesnt know im there until i see him first. or you could just wait in the hallway with a shotgun and scream "freeze" as u pull the trigger haha. (just kidding)

A laser is pretty good, dont worry about pulsating lasers unless your going to be wearing night vision goggles.

your going to have to shoot someone 10 times with a .22 to stop them.

9mm is too small in my opinion. if you want stopping power, go with a .45 or .38 special, or .357 revolver.

I personally alternate my rounds in the clip from FMJ to hollow points

with smaller caliber fmj's some "perps" reported that they didnt even know they were shot until they saw blood. You use something like the ammo/gun combos i pointed out...yea. no question lol

PS my home defense guns are .45 glock sf and a 12 guage by the bed (slugs)

buy name brand/reliable guns. dont cheap out on home defense, you dont want a FTF or FTL (failure to fire, failure to load)

(i think its streamline who makes my light, supposedly one of if not the brightest on the market for my glock)

Edited by spoolinturbo

Here is another really good handgun for Home Protection....If you don't mind spending the extra money for the special ammunition and learn how to shoot it properly :D Desert Eagle 44 Magnum. Gas operated locking bolt..Yea, just like a M-16. I have more Home Defense firearms if you would like to see them :D Edited by Caliber308

slugs for home defence , not for the average guy or lady , inside the average 20 ft room even #7 would not spread out more then a few inches even out to 50 ft the patern is only 12-14 inches , i measure'd 5 shots at 97 ft with 12ga 3" mag 00 and the shot spread average'd 28"

what does this mean well for one if you chase the intruder out side your home , the law is not always gona be on your side if you blow a hole thru him , so don't use slugs at close range unless your an expert , and don't pull any trigger unless you know exactly what and who your aiming at .

killing another person will change you for ever "justifed or not "

Here is another really good handgun for Home Protection....If you don't mind spending the extra money for the special ammunition and learn how to shoot it properly :D Desert Eagle 44 Magnum. Gas operated locking bolt..Yea, just like a M-16.

bill i think you and i could sit down all day and talk guns---ive been loading my own rounds for about 6months now in an effort to save money as i shoot quite a bit and have multiple calibers---made a couple runs of a load between 44special and magnum as far as velocity and recoil---my s-w 629 44mag is more accurate than i am with full house loads so im experimenting---if you load ur own and have any suggestions lmk---

gig out

Hi-Point is the only cheap handgun I've ever owned. I have a .40 and a .380...Neither have ever jammed...They shoot straight and are relaible. It feels like a brick in you hand and its not very pretty...but it works well. The .40 is on my nightstand and the .380 is in the wifes. Both are less that 175$ new. I'm just sharing my opinion.