Thinking of purchasing a Firearm.

Minagera

I am thinking of this mainly for home defense, and maybe some shooting at the range. Just stopped in to Wal-Mart and saw a few rifles, probably will go over to Gander Mountain tomorrow. One thing that caught my eye at Wal-mart was the Circuit Judge. I like it because I can shoot 410 and .45 caliber out of it.

Suggestions and Thoughts?

-Matt

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've always been an advocate of a shotgun for home defence. They're pretty hard to miss with, and the buckshot isn't likely to overpenetrate and cause collateral.

Or you could use slugs and blow a baddie in half...

I read and article once that said a pistol caliber assault rifle is by far the best. Rapid fire, a stable firing platform, and easy to aim.

That revolver shotgun just seems kinda silly. Hard to reload, high recoil, less stopping power than a 12ga.

If you get a 12ga you can go trap shooting. Loads of fun.

That gun is waaaaaaaay overpriced. Get yourself a Remington 870 Wingmaster 12 gauge with a short barrel and extended magazine loaded with 00 buckshot, you can't miss with it ;) And it is reasonably priced at appox: $300.00 to $400.00.

Bill

Edited by Caliber308

or you can pay about 1k$ in a 160lb different type of home defense system and 160lb is no joke. It's called an Sicilian Cane Corso and that's my home defense system. They have a bite force of 690 psi, a pitbull has 230 psi. A dog will hear an intruder, a gun wont :P

F.Y.I 690psi of pressure is equivalent to that of a lion :)

http://img32.imageshack.us/img32/3346/bigbenny1978canecorsoa2.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Edited by DSMvirus1

i deff prefer the 357 over a 38 , a car door will normaly stop a 38, and a big guy , well he may keep on comeing .

and lets face it if you pull the trigger you intend to kill not slow him down ,,all in all the shot gun is the way to go, less experiance need'd and when you are face'd with the posibility of useing a fire arm your not exactly calm

but haveing any fire arm in your home load'd is one hell of a responsibility

oh and 0 is better then 00 more buck shot per shell , eather at close range makes hamburger

A shotgun is your best bet like pretty much everyone else is saying mossburg or a remington 870 are good choices. My Uncle has a Taurus Judge pistol like the one your thinking about with the .410 .45 only thing he said about his is he wished he would have gotten the long barrel version. I really would like to buy a "security" style shotgun myself but since i have several hunting rifles and an old model 12 12 gauge i keep putting it off as unnecessary thus far.

If you want to try some different guns, I 've got a bunch and land to shoot on. I reccomend a Mossberg Persuader for home defense. And BTW, Larrys is the only place to go for price and selection.

If you want to try some different guns, I 've got a bunch and land to shoot on. I reccomend a Mossberg Persuader for home defense. And BTW, Larrys is the only place to go for price and selection.

Sounds like the best bet for me. When will you be home next lee?

Sounds like the best bet for me. When will you be home next lee?

Probably have some time on Saturday or Sunday.

In my neck of the woods it's considered an insult to bring guns and NOT have beer :)

I agree with the other guys too, 870 Express. Cheap, reliable and no one is going to walk through that. I also keep a Colt .45 near the headboard. Just in case, although home break-ins are very rare around here. Everyone knows that everyone has guns

first thing i thought when i read the tittle was, hes been in the middle east for that long and gets back here and decides he needs to get a gun?

seriously though, i know folks are going to laugh at this but i like a .22 caliber short rifle. almost no kick, not that damned loud, will get the job done in most cases. sure its not gonna bring down some big arse dude but hit his kneecaps with it and i think it would do the trick. they are so damned easy to shoot till it seems like almost a no brainer in my mind. not to mention, if he manages to get away, im pretty sure i can take him down from a fair distance. not to mention, the wife could handle it pretty easily if you werent home when a need arose.

I have a Winchester 1300 with a slug barrel and a 20 inch barrel loaded with bird shot sitting in my bedroom. I figure that will do the job and not go through a wall. If I need more I have my M1A EBR in my closet (not for indoor use obviously).

Mossberg 500a. Plentiful, reliable, easy to handle, and cheap. I got mine for 125. This isn't mine but gives you an idea of the size. A .22 is a nice plinker but in the middle of the night, in the dark, and pumped full of adrenaline, do you really think you can pull up, aim, and hit a knee cap?

http://www.militaria.pl/upload/wysiwyg/gfx/produkty/ASG/strzelba_mossberg_M500_persuader_270703/strzelba_mossberg_M500_persuader_270703.jpg

Edited by MainstreaM

I taught my wife if she thinks someone is following her to go to a public place like a gas station and to never go near the house, in case they come by later. Two instances someone tried to follow me home, first time it turned into a car chase and eventually I got away. Second time I smartened up and just went to a gas station, and they clearly let the guy following me know they were on the phone with the police.

Anyway... twin chrome 9mm's with diamond bullets to match them.

-Robert