MPG

Cloud81918

I'm going to say it again, drafting in the quest, I get around 42mpg. I sit about 25 feet back or so.

LOL... really now, no matter how many times you say it doesn't make it true. Must be a double typo because you must mean 24MPG. In your earlier post you said "450+ per tank drafting 85%", at 19 gallons (.8 left, which must mean the low gas light would have been on for almost an hour)... which equals 23.6MPG.

42 MPG would mean a 100% increase in fuel savings, nearly 800 miles per tank. Mythbusters did a test of drafting a semi, and noted 27% improvement at 20 feet.

You should rerecord and then recalculate your data. I expect a new topic posted asking "how to calculate MPG" soon.

-Robert

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you running stock ECU or a SAFC or MS (or some other stand-alone)?

I'm wondering because when you're cruising you're in closed loop the computer is constantly re-computing to find the ideal A/F ratio, whereas if the system is relying on user-entered parameters for everything (like megasquirt) the A/F values may be more constant, as it's the same as being in open loop the whole time.

It is stock. We'll see how things look when I install the new injectors. Coke put the tester on it last PF meet and we dialed everything in.

Just took the shetland on a 350 mile trip. overall was 26.3 MPG

I'm happy with that- other than the exhaust pipe rusted off in the last 30 miles LOL

Dad

don't it just make you proud after 22 years detroit improve'd upon that a whole 4 mpg , while raiseing your fuel costs only 300%

LOL... really now, no matter how many times you say it doesn't make it true. Must be a double typo because you must mean 24MPG. In your earlier post you said "450+ per tank drafting 85%", at 19 gallons (.8 left, which must mean the low gas light would have been on for almost an hour)... which equals 23.6MPG.

42 MPG would mean a 100% increase in fuel savings, nearly 800 miles per tank. Mythbusters did a test of drafting a semi, and noted 27% improvement at 20 feet.

You should rerecord and then recalculate your data. I expect a new topic posted asking "how to calculate MPG" soon.

-Robert

Agreed !!! Robert, Lately on this site I have been reading posts from a few different members.And I personally know their responses are B.S. or they are giving out advice to others that is B.S. ;) Sometimes I try to correct their misinformation. Most members know who they are :)

Bill

I had the math, I was not on a full tank, I was on like a quarter tank, it got me so many miles, when I got there I filled up a full tank and subtracted my last odometer reading from whatever estimate I had of the last tank. I was drafting 95% of the way there, I came out to 42mpg. that was almost a year ago. I dont have recipts to back this up but at the time, that was mym math.

here is one pic I have of how close I tend to sit, I fall back a few feet everynow and then or when I need to see road signs.

http://img143.imageshack.us/img143/8030/moto0051.jpg

Edited by Killtodie

here is one pic I have of how close I tend to sit

http://img143.imageshack.us/img143/8030/moto0051.jpg

Your lucky I wasn't driving the semi.....I would have slammed the brakes on :lol: :lol:

Bill

I dont believe you can downshift a non sync transmission without first dropping speed.

This practice is just as safe driving as sitting behind any other car. A semi cannot brake or maneuver as fast as a regular road car, so you dont need the same following distance as you would with a regular car on the highway.

The trucker cant see me so he does not know I'm there to "slam his brakes"

The last time I did this, the trucker knew I was there as I was giving him space to pass on the left. I would see his turn signal, get into the left lane first, flash my lights at him, let him get in front and pass. Cause its hard enough for a semi to pass on the left when traffic is flying past him at 20mph+

I dont think he minded me drafting off him for 2 hours.

I dont believe you can downshift a non sync transmission without first dropping speed.

This practice is just as safe driving as sitting behind any other car. A semi cannot brake or maneuver as fast as a regular road car, so you dont need the same following distance as you would with a regular car on the highway.

The trucker cant see me so he does not know I'm there to "slam his brakes"

The last time I did this, the trucker knew I was there as I was giving him space to pass on the left. I would see his turn signal, get into the left lane first, flash my lights at him, let him get in front and pass. Cause its hard enough for a semi to pass on the left when traffic is flying past him at 20mph+

I dont think he minded me drafting off him for 2 hours.

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j226/the_rabbit1/killtodie.jpg

I say "D".. that's my final answer!

Man, I don't post as much as I used to and I have to come back to this? Lol.

I got 35mpg out of my Acura TSX on the highway, and that's with some spirited driving. Fun car to drive in the twisties.

i beleave the driveing hand book states leave a car space for each 10 mph your traveling , so @ 70 mph that would be almost 140ft , giveing 20 ft for car length , but cars are shorter these days but still .

me i like to SEE whats comeing up and i never like seting behind a semi or any large truck and not being able to see whats comeing at me http://www.starquestclub.com/forum/public/style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif

I had the math, I was not on a full tank, I was on like a quarter tank, it got me so many miles, when I got there I filled up a full tank and subtracted my last odometer reading from whatever estimate I had of the last tank. I was drafting 95% of the way there, I came out to 42mpg. that was almost a year ago. I dont have recipts to back this up but at the time, that was mym math.

You done estimated wrong, way wrong.

Haha, you stated it three times like it was hard evidence and turns out it's an estimate... of a estimated quarter tank... one time.

-Robert

Driving around Atlanta the Old Broad gets about 21 MPG. This past week we drove up to Chicago and back to Atlanta running 75 - 85 MPH, plus 103 miles of Chicago driving, and averaged 25 MPG. I always let a rabbit hauling butt get about 1/2 of a mile ahead of me, when I run at 10 + MPH over the speed limit, so he trips the cops' radar and then I slow down FAST!!

For many years, I have wanted to go up the long steep grade to Monteagle TN on I-24 West which is 5 lanes wide with it's sweeping curves on cruise control. This past Tuesday at about 7:30 AM, because there was hardly any traffic on I-24 and it was sunny, I did it at 70 MPH, in 4th gear, with the indicated boost at about 11 PSIG just about the whole time. THAT was fun. Engine temp did not budge - we were just hauling butt and the Old Broad took the curves like she was on a rail road track. I personally feel that kind of driving is what the Starquests were originally designed for. I had the good set of SHP struts/springs (which I bought from Harry) set at 8 and I'm running a fairly new set of Yokohama AS 430, SHP sized, V rated tires.

There is NO WAY I would draft a semi- that's nuts. :wacko: What would happen if he threw a recap, it came out of the back of the trailer and it hit your car? :huh: You would be DEAD MEAT ROAD KILL!!! ;) Personally, I pass semi's as soon as I can because of this. ;)

In fact the Old Broad's left front spoiler, bumper and running lights got crunched late last year from a semi recap when I was running 3 cars back in a pack in the fast lane in Arkansas on I-40, when a semi in the slow lane threw a recap. You should have seen the first car in the pack which REALLY got nailed with the recap! Then the pick up in front of me ran over the recap kicking it up off of the pavement and I couldn't get completely out of it's way when it nailed me cuz there was a semi on my right. Thank God I keep a lot of distance behind the vehicle in front of me, when running in a pack, cuz traffic got real crazy real fast when that happened. :blink:

I like to see what's going on ahead of me and be the master of my own destiny - MY LIFE!! :)

For What It's Worth.

KEN

Edit - I forgot to add that my '88 Starion ESI-R SHP is OEM stock with the exception of: 1) BSE installed, 2) JVE kit installed, 3) precat gutted and main cat removed, 4) Secondary Air Cleaner removed, 5) ignitor wiring modified so she thinks that she has an auto tranny, ie 10.5 PSIG boost.

Edited by Starfighterpilot

Interesting Austin,

Mine fluctuates about 1 point pretty constantly. I read between 13.8 and around 14.8. It just bounces back and forth. When you say constant, do you really mean it's a flat number and it doesn't move? Cuz if that's the case then I have to do some research on my car.

I just installed my stock injectors again. Primary was serviced by RC and secondary is a used one. My idle is 900 RPMs and the AF meter displays 14.3 - 14.5.