Air Dam Remanufacture

QuadCites

Hi Guys - I contacted a company in India that said they can create Air Dams if I give them one to model from.

Has anyone ever attempted this before?

If I do have some made, what are some things we'd like to see?....such as flexibility.

What would you be willing to pay for one of these?

Thanks,

J

Hello, Quad Cities........

Yes, another vendor has reproduced the airdam in a FRP material.

But before we talk price, I think we should talk about YOU first. We're kind of a tight knit family, and you are new, plus no location, plus only an initial...........

Consider it a "vetting process", if you will.

Tim (been around a LOT longer than this account shows - look up UlrichWolf if you want to check me out)

Hi Guys - I contacted a company in India that said they can create Air Dams if I give them one to model from.

Has anyone ever attempted this before?

If I do have some made, what are some things we'd like to see?....such as flexibility.

What would you be willing to pay for one of these?

Thanks,

J

Id pay 210 each if they were RIM PUR not FRP,

jut get a new airdamn from mitsu and send it off to them , please dont tell me you dont have the 300 or so they cost to buy one, I will have to call bullshchit.

Yea there is already one vendor for the air dams and its so hard to produce something like this and have a bunch of people that will buy from you when we know nothing about you. Not saying anything negative towards you or your ideas but i would get to know some people on here before you try to do a group purchase especially on an air dam.

Id pay 210 each if they were RIM PUR not FRP,

jut get a new airdamn from mitsu and send it off to them , please dont tell me you dont have the 300 or so they cost to buy one, I will have to call bullshchit.

Ditto

Thanks for all the replies.

I don't plan on doing a group purchase.. this would be on my own.

My airdam is pretty busted up so I can't send mine. Scotty mentioned that one can be purchased from Mistubushi for @ $300?

Anyone have a link? If that's all they cost, why is there such a demand? Is it just a money thing?

Thanks again,

Jamie Banfield

Coal Valley, Il 61240

309-234-five684

87' Starion

So Far:

Purchased Wiper Cowl from LEPORE

Purchased Pitman & Idler arm from maxboost87

I purchased my Starion on ebay from Florida for $2900 and had it shipped to Illinois. The Car is in shop right now... installing 4 struts, strut mounts, pitman & idler arms, tie rod ends.

I purchased my Starion on ebay from Florida for $2900 and had it shipped to Illinois. The Car is in shop right now... installing 4 struts, strut mounts, pitman & idler arms, tie rod ends.

Oh no, only rear struts available new are gabriel or monroe. I hope you aren't putting either of those brands in. They are horrible struts. Your car will ride like an 80s cadillac.

My airdam is pretty busted up so I can't send mine. Scotty mentioned that one can be purchased from Mistubushi for @ $300?

Anyone have a link? If that's all they cost, why is there such a demand? Is it just a money thing?

Thanks again,

Jamie Banfield

Coal Valley, Il 61240

309-234-five684

87' Starion

So Far:

Jamie, it's a combination between money, and availability. OEM parts from Mitsubishi can be on again, off again, hard to get, etc. And, not to sugarcoat it, but a lot of guys are looking for something less expensive. Hey, times are tough!

But the big thing on this is being able to offer a similar material to factory, and at a pleasing price point. If I may be so bold, you may find yourself in a bit of a quandary, because this is a niche market. I'm not sure what sorts of costs you have figured out, as well as set up fees, and what not, but it can be very easy to lose on these parts if you are not careful, because you are selling to niche market.

Thanks for some background....a little transparency goes a long way.

Tim

Thanks again,

Jamie Banfield

Coal Valley, Il 61240

309-234-five684

87' Starion

So Far:

Jamie since you have an 87 you should know the 88/89 air dams are one piece not the three piece as your original,

no one has reproduced the three piece.

I still prefer the 3 piece especially when the lower edge was black not body color but too bad it was from a harder material that busted easier. To me that lower forward curved lip on the 88/89 doesn't work with any other part of the car but I can imagine it might pick up a bit more air or maybe to not make it not flex at high speed since the material is so soft.

Jamie since you have an 87 you should know the 88/89 air dams are one piece not the three piece as your original,

no one has reproduced the three piece.

Thanks for the info Metric -

Are the 1 piece / 3 piece air dams interchangeable across all the Starquests?

3 peice air dam FTW

Your 87 has or had one.

There's also 3 piece flat sider airdams

What years where those , 84 early 85 ? I had an 86 and it had a one piece, like Coke's sig.

I have a 3 piece AND a one Piece 85.5 valance!!! Beat that!

Also the one piece was not molded into a one piece, it's a straight up true one piece. vice versa with the 3 piece, it's has the narrowbody sides.

and too my knowledge all non intercooled flatties had one piece valance's

I honestly believe the only way this will ever happen is if an individual has deep enough pockets and enough ambition to make it a reality. Trying to set up a list of interested parties for something that does not yet exist never seems to pan out. Real businesses who have taken on group purchases don't rely on peoples deposits to get the project off the ground, its simply a guarantee of a sale. I believe this is the one and only way for something like this to see the light of day. :)

And, not to sugarcoat it, but a lot of guys are looking for something less expensive. Hey, times are tough!

Tim

Come on man, lets be blunt, people are CHEAP! :lol: $360 for a new air damn, heck some of us have paid less for the whole car! :blink:

I see new OEM air damns for sale on Ebay all the time, does anyone actually buy them? I also see the Mookeh ones, anyone ever buy one? I've never seen one in any members cars.

What years where those , 84 early 85 ? I had an 86 and it had a one piece, like Coke's sig.

85.5 Starion and 85.5 Conquest both have different ONE piece sorry I was wrong its not a three piece its made to look like the 3 piece but the Conquest isn't to get a picture of and I thought it had a slightly different airdam and the holes on the side were different and the non intercooled have no side openings at all.

http://www.b2600turbo.com/misc%20gallery/2481426830402.jpg

Edited by Indiana