I'm still unsure what I want to major in in college

Fanta

To sum it up, I'm picking up a new job and going back to school here in the summer/fall. That being said, I'm still unsure of what I want to major in. The three contenders are IT ( Network Administration/Systems Security ), Mechatronic Engineering ( Robotics Engineering ) or Electrical Engineering ( specialize in Satellite communications ). I started Mecha a long time ago, but where I am now, I can really go in any direction with no classes wasted really. My new job ( or the jobs I'm pursuing currently ) are in IT, solely because A) I enjoy doing them and B) it's what I know. Information security is ultimately where I would want to end up if I pursued that ( CCNA, Security + cert, etc ). With robotics - well - I've always been interested in it, always had some hand or play in it ( FIRST Robotics, etc ). Electrical - really only because satellite communications interests me. All 3 career fields are the ones that are set to expand even more. So, at the moment, I'm just moderately annoyed that I can't just choose one ( if I had my way, I would do all 3, but money doesn't really allow it ).

I don't know about GA. But in California, utility companies like water and power are in a shortage of engineers. For example the Department of Water And Power, City of LA is expecting a huge chunk of their work force to retire within the next 10 years. They're starting to get agressive in recruitment now to train engineers to replace people that retiring. But they're worried because there are is no more vocational training taking place in high schools and not enough vocational schools in the area to meet their demand.

The way I see it, schools keep pushing kids to go to college and get a degree in something other than manual labor related fields. There's no more mechanic classes, no more wood shop, no more electrical shop, no more engineering geared courses in high school. They're too busy getttin kids to past stupid state tests. :rolleyes:

Do what you like, something you enjoy. It will make work no seem like work.

^^ On that point - someone recently said that a college degree now has seemingly lost it's worth - where back in the day, getting a college degree was something that showed you were exemplary in achievement and knowledge. Now, it's the standard norm ( you need a degree to be a secretary now... )

The thing is - I enjoy all of those things.

Yes, definately make sure it's something you like; take time to weigh your options and job choices. I graduated in Mech Engineering and have tried out a few industries from Manufacturing to Construction - completely different ends of the spectrum. I really do not enjoy my career choice at all and wish I had not taken the common suggested route. Eh, hindsight is 20/20, but at least I have a reference point now for future schooling, etc. I should have paid more attention to internships and maybe taken more internships that were varied.

With your OP, I would suggest IT as it has a broad spectrum of possibilities - if you think about it, there is some sore of IT needed at almost every company whether small or large; plus you stated that you already have a prior knowledge and most importantly like it.

I started out with the intent of doing Electrical Engineering, but I switched to Computer Science during my Junior year. I've talked to a few guys I went to school with that finished their EE degrees, and most of them are doing software development anyways. As far as Network or System Adminstrator goes, I know that the demand is lower for those skills, at least what I've seen personally. The company I work for has about 4 consultants that do network and system stuff, and about 75 who do software stuff. If I were you I'd look into getting an MCITP certification from Microsoft. I have one for database development, and it was only two tests which cost about $125 each to take. I know a lot of companies like these certifications if they're Microsoft partners.

If I were to pursue IT I would be aiming for Systems security. Reason why I listed Net Admin is because the college I would look at going for it, offer Net Admin on campus, but only Sys Sec online. Diff between the two majors is literally 4 classes, so if I did pursue that track, I would probably end up with a double major.

Choose EET, it will qualify you for the greatest variety, and alot of what you have to learn applies in many unrelated fields. It will allow for a wide virety of lateral jobs moves down the line.

I got my EET degree, and in my current job I litelry do everything on your list. I manage a medium sized cable TV headend. Lots of IT, electronics, physics, mechanical aplications, telecom, satellite, etc.

Electronics Engineering Technology?

http://www.devry.edu/degree-programs/college-engineering-information-sciences/electronics-engineering-technology-about.jsp

I see networking, programming, robotics, and communication.... hmmm this must be further investigated.

Edited by Fanta

Electronics Engineering Technology?

http://www.devry.edu/degree-programs/college-engineering-information-sciences/electronics-engineering-technology-about.jsp

I see networking, programming, robotics, and communication.... hmmm this must be further investigated.

You don't learn any of those fields to a great depth, but you learn them all well. I think it's a perfect stepping stone to make an educated choice from. I didn't decide on a creer untill I graduated and had been exposed to all those fields. I picked the one that interested me the most. Take an AAS in EET and then get into a relevant field, you can always add on to that with more spcialized training (or a different degree course if you want). The difference between an AAS, and a BS is you pick a specialty for the BS. Where I went, the BS was in automation (robotics). If you wanted to get a masters in EET you were going to be designing circuits or working in a lab. A lot of this kind of stuff now gets shipped overseas. It was suggested prior, and it's good advice : don't get a job someone can do just as well, for less $$, from another country. Unless you like moving ofcourse. Don't pick a field that is not in demand in the area you want to live. I prefer rural small town living, so I had to be careful in my choices.

Also, the higher you go into the degrees, the more likely you'll end up at a desk or in a lab. Does that sound good or bad to you? To me, it sounds awful, I'm quite glad I get to work with my hands everyday, building, changing, or fixing stuff. I still get to be on the cutting edge, but I don't have to shuffle papers, stare at computer screens for hours on end, or compile reports all day. Hell, I get paid to watch TV ;)

Be honest with yourself, think 1, 3, 5, 10 years down the line, where do you want to be? Do you want to be the boss, or the guy getting the work done? That is a big part of the decision you make now.

electrical engineering is the most marketable, as EE is needed is both private and govt sectors.

I know a few EE and you can get a pretty cush job. heck, one of them just dorks around at the school's lab she graduated from. gets paid to just come up with experiments.

once you start over specifying your field of study, your job sources narrow, but if you do score a job, it's probably worth it.

I'm old and I just went back to get my BS in mathematics, just because I love it and want to teach and do something with math.

electrical engineering is the most marketable, as EE is needed is both private and govt sectors.

I know a few EE and you can get a pretty cush job. heck, one of them just dorks around at the school's lab she graduated from. gets paid to just come up with experiments.

once you start over specifying your field of study, your job sources narrow, but if you do score a job, it's probably worth it.

I'm old and I just went back to get my BS in mathematics, just because I love it and want to teach and do something with math.

If you really want to do that, PM me. My wife is a math teacher. She got her masters in math and teaches college calc. classes at our local high school.

I agree, the more you specialize, the fewer choices you have. I reccomend EE because what you learn doesn't expire or become obsolete. The knowledge also applies to 100+ career fields.

I agree, the more you specialize, the fewer choices you have. I reccomend EE because what you learn doesn't expire or become obsolete. The knowledge also applies to 100+ career fields.

.......................................................................................................................

this works for all fields you go into , even mechanics

hey what ever came about with the citizenship thing , or did you drop that over the buzz about the draft starting back up

I actually have a state senator looking into what can be done to expedite it, although talking with my dad recently, with the year term they're issuing now, it looks like it won't be till the end of the year for my green card if sitting twiddling my thumbs. I held off on enlisting under the clause I found because of how limited I would of been in job selection. Both me and the recruiter agreed to wait for the green card to come around ( and wait for the armed forces to finish reshaping ) and see where everything stands then.

.......................................................................................................................

this works for all fields you go into , even mechanics

I get what you are saying, but I know that you get a degree in mechanical engineering, you are pretty well stuck in a mechanical engineering field, or you work in a field where you aren't using what you learned. If you get a degree in civil engineeirng, you pretty well stick to civil engineeirng, etc, etc...

If you get a degree in electronics eingineering, you can do electronics engineering, lab and reaearch, communications/telecommunications, computers/systems engineering, robotics/manufacturing, Power grid(design) engineering, technology integration, and quiet a few others. I just think you'll learn more fields, so you'll have a lot more choices in which to specalize.

I am obviously biased though :lol:

Check out http://www.self-directed-search.com/. It might not help too much but it's a cheap to do and just might help solidify your ideas about what you want to do.

A Strong Interest Inventory is a good tool, although you will likely need a professional administration of that one which ups the cost.

the O-net is a good Govt compiled database of occupations and job analysis: http://www.onetonline.org/.