starion coughs on acceleration or at highway speeds

monty87

Not sure whats going on but my motor stated to have coughs on acceleration or Highway speeds around 65MPH

What should I check? My timming is right on everything seems to be in order from what I can see.

Possable fuel filter maybe?

Rather than MPH you should reference what engine RPM's this is occuring at.

Sounds to me like your secondary injector needs a cleaning or check it's pig tail and electrical metal terminals for corrosion & a tight fit.

For What It's Worth.

KEN

Edited by Starfighterpilot

Rather than MPH you should reference what engine RPM's this is occuring at.

Sounds to me like your secondary injector needs a cleaning or check it's pig tail and electrical metal terminals for corrosion & a tight fit.

For What It's Worth.

KEN

I will check them as well It also does it more when its cold. If I remember im around 2700 RPM at 65-70 MPH in OD

Due to the lower gears and 4x4 in my montero.

P.S whats a god way to clean the injectors? Any good stuff out there to use?

Edited by monty87

Cleaning injectors is best left to a shop...one that works on semi trucks...as they have all the right stuff to clean, check and test them. Things like volume, spray pattern, flow rate etc. Then you will know without any doubt the injectors should work as designed like new.

If you have the power to get to highway speeds quickly enough to go thru the gears...I don't think it's fuel related...the higher the RPM, the more likely it will "cough" or fade in power output when it's fuel filters etc.

I'd look at the electrical side...seems cold weather and the "contraction" that happens seems to affect electrical circuits. Check the grounds...ignition module (knock box) case, coil case, main engine ground, ECU case for a good solid ground. Don't just look at them...test with meter. Then check fuse links and ignition sytem. Don't forget the spark plugs as part of the secondary ignition system...I'd bet you find a loose/dirty connection or fouling/worn plugs. Once everything checks out, pick-up in distrib and coil specs out ok, good tight and clean connections...then check fuel system. Fuel pump feed wire circuit first. FPR, filters, fuel lines.

Won't hurt to check the engine sensors to spec. Vac lines to eliminate possibilities. The problem sure sounds like an electrical issue to me.

Monty? I thought you had to be a Starion/Quest owner to be over here :huh:

Besides, your 4x4 Turbo talk won't help my Starion stay in one piece ^_^

The heart of my rig is all starion and thats why im here :D

This set up i have should have been done from the factory but then

again it wouldnt be as rare now would it... B)

So I checked everything out and even changed the TPS still doing the same thing. I checked all the grounds and there clean good and tight.

Also checked the Injectors for good connections looks good. Any other things I should check? has anyone ran into this problem before?

Maybe fuel? I can test that I guess to make sure its getting good PSI.

Oh i need to change that I switched back to stock for more low end. The plugs and wires look good.

As for when it does it somtimes mid to full throttle, Starts and runs fine too.

Edited by monty87

Oh i need to change that I switched back to stock for more low end. The plugs and wires look good.

As for when it does it somtimes mid to full throttle, Starts and runs fine too.

Considering the previous posts, I would check the injectors again. Injector clips OK..the not originals. No corrosion on injectors (prongs)? Original injectors? If so, time for some replacements. Ensure your MAS connection is clean an tight. Air filter? How old? Fuel filter(s) last time replaced? Is it installed correctly? Fuel pump, how old? If all else is well, that is where I would look...perhaps again.

Also, has you throttle body been cleaned/serviced? New gaskets, seals? Intake manifold gasket...ever been replaced? Are you losing anti-freeze? Double check you intercooler pipes and couplings...ensure they are tight AND servicable. Vacuum hoses, hopefully not original..if so replace them all, in particular the one at the rear of the intake manifold.

Edited by Vnomous1

Ensure your MAS connection is clean an tight.

What he said. or the spark plugs. Loose wires on the coil, distributor plug loose or dirty. The two wires that are grounded under one of the ignitor box mounting screws check those for a clean connection that's the ignition system ground.

So im thinking now it maybe the fuel pump or clogged filter, is there a good way to test the pump?

I will go and get a filter after work and replace it as well. As for all the wires distributor and pugs they look good. Nice even tan color on all plugs.

Lookng at an electrical connection will not tell you if it's good. You need to get a good multimeter and TEST it. Plug wires can be tested as well...I believe the manual on this site has specs for them, coil and distrib pick up too. Test the grounds with a meter...any connection that "looks" clean and tight might not actually be so.

It doesn't take that much time to check with a meter. The usual way I test is by disconnecting the positive battery wire....tape a meter lead to it and then go thru the circuits testing EACH connection for continuity. In my own experiance I've found electrical problems/issues within 10 minutes of meter testing.

So I checked everything out and even changed the TPS still doing the same thing. I checked all the grounds and there clean good and tight.

Also checked the Injectors for good connections looks good. Any other things I should check? has anyone ran into this problem before?

Maybe fuel? I can test that I guess to make sure its getting good PSI.

Did you change the vacuum advance? I had the same exact problem, like exact, and after suggestions from some of the minds here that (plus the dist cleaning) cleared it all up.

Did you change the vacuum advance? I had the same exact problem, like exact, and after suggestions from some of the minds here that (plus the dist cleaning) cleared it all up.

I checked all the connections the guys were telling me about and after cleaning all grounds and testing them I had the same result.

The vacuume advance has not been change at all, I did clean the dizz before I put the motor back in do to a broken ring gland.

Anyway that will be my next try. Where would I pick one of these up they seem hard to find. Im thinking of swapping ECU'S to see what happens as well.

Thanks for your time..

Edited by monty87

I checked all the connections the guys were telling me about and after cleaning all grounds and testing them I had the same result.

The vacuume advance has not been change at all, I did clean the dizz before I put the motor back in do to a broken ring gland.

Anyway that will be my next try. Where would I pick one of these up they seem hard to find. Im thinking of swapping ECU'S to see what happens as well.

Thanks for your time..

are you running stock MAF or translator? im having issues with my GM MAF plug staying fully connected and sometimes does your effect

otherwise, check the connector and make sure all the pins are in the connector and not bent to the center where they completely miss it lol

Not sure whats going on but my motor stated to have coughs on acceleration or Highway speeds around 65MPH

What should I check? My timming is right on everything seems to be in order from what I can see.

Possable fuel filter maybe?

It happen to me few times, I always thought my spark plug wire was in good condition, but one of them keep coming loose

so I replace a set, that took care of that problem.

It happen to me few times, I always thought my spark plug wire was in good condition, but one of them keep coming loose

so I replace a set, that took care of that problem.

That was aready suggested and checked in replies number 8 & 13. ;)

Read through the entire original post and the subsequent replies before you reply. This may sound like BS but it keeps these posts from being 3 pages long with repetitious and/or off the wall suggestions to do stuff that has aleady been eliminated or doesn't make sense.

Your suggestion did make sense. ^_^

If you have a suggestion that makes sense and hasn't been covered, then by all means chime in. :)

For What It's Worth.

KEN

OK so after I did everything possible I found the major problem, I was on my way home from a sidejob and my motor was cutting out real bad, well when I got home it was dark and I popped the hood and started looking around. I didnt see anything until my coil wire started glowing and sending tracers down the wire!! I could not believe what I was seeing, the wire set is maybe 3 months old and made by taylor which are good wires.

Also I could see the #3 cyl was doing it too, so I found my old set of wires replaced the two and went for a test drive and wala fixed the cut out.

I still do not know how this was happening and would like to find out. Im going to send Talor wires a email and see if I can get a new set.

I wanna thank you guys for trying to sort out my problem, For now if your ride is cutting out check your plug wires even if they are new!

all the above sugestions are good and should be done,,but when you said i clean'd the dist,, did you also do a full mechanical advance test,, a sticky stator can cause low advance at diff times and a cough in the intake

it can also cause the base timeing to be nearly imposible to set properly

:) and your right offering a turbo on those trucks as an option would have tripple'd their sales

doing so on their mighty max sport pick up would have change'd the small truck world for ever :)