A call for peace... BEFORE IT'S TOO LATE

Komeuppance

I read almost all the posts on here, and there has been so much animosity towards each other in the past months, and I think I know the reason... or at least the root cause. I admit, I did lose my cool for a short period of time, and knowingly said not nice things. Some of the things I said were meant in jest, and my good-natured teasing aspect was missed... I'm not THAT mean.

I just read this post from a very new member with less than 20 posts:

I'm really starting to hate this site. All you guys do is bash each other on here and the guys that are new and ask question they think are normal you guys treat them like they are dumba**es. Get a life, if you don't want to be helpfull then don't speak at all. ... I'm done with this site.

I believe it is a true, unbiased representation of our current abysmal state... which is just sad. We need to moderate ourselves to get back in the mindset of helping each other. The biggest change is we have an influx of young guns rarin' to go. This has really affected our "tolerance" and pushed it to the limit. We are walking along a razor's edge, one look down and we'll be finished. Some incidents in particular have pushed more than few buttons which began the descent of our tolerance.

This is definitely the largest forum in the world dedicated to our cars. Each and every member has the ability to make it the best site, as well as the power to destroy it. For most, this is our "home". Why would you want to demolish your own house?? Sure we have other places to move to, but this is one of the best, if not the. People keep coming back to this site under different user names after being banned, for a reason. I don't say this often enough: Welcome to the Hotel StarQuest, you can check out anytime you like... but you can never leave.

Seasoned members, can we set our noob phasers from kill, back to stun?? Give the new guys some slack on the excessive influx of noob questions and lack of searching, or holster your weapon and ignore their posts. We were once noobs at some point in life, for a very very minuscule period of time... besides Shelby who was never a noob.

New recruits, understand that you are new here, and you have to give respect before you earn it. We definitely want you to be a part of this community, and share our affection and addiction with us. We are extremely protective of these cars and are very offended if one does not respect it. You have a powerful resource of information in front of you, learn to use the search (and google), check the FAQ section, download and study the factory service manual, search, search, and search some more before posting a new question.

Every SQC member, if you don't have something nice to say, it is almost certain that it does not need to be said. Be reasonable, there is surely a time and place for not so nice things to be said, usually PM's... sometimes other sites. Even if this is the cold and impersonal internet, what you type and say really does affect others reading it. Use tact and treat others how you would like to be treated.

There's much more I want to say on the subject but I think I can end it with this for now:

We don't have to like each other, but we do have to get along.

-Robert

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will stay back and say JS and watch everything said from the nose bleed section. There has been a few members in here I regret getting rude with, but 2 members will never get my respect just because they are well known to be jack@sses, thieves & liars.

Thank god, this exactly what I've been thinking. It's kind of odd though, There are 2 other forums I am part of that also had to put in a "be nice" policy the past few days. One of them filtered the word "hate" lol

-Justin

Well stated, and I appreciate your attempt at making the site more civil.

I do wish these "seasoned" members (I've been a member longer than quite a few of you have, I just dont post 300 times a week), would get off their high horses. We ask you guys because we trust your judgement and information. Basically we need your advice, not your ridicule. As far as the search goes, it's very bias towards fatty models, and us with flat body cars have little to search for with flatty specific questions. Yes, we have the thread, but that's about it.

Thank you for this attempt, and I hope it doesn't fall on deaf ears. I have used, and will continue to use, this site for repairing my baby for years to come. She is my daily driver and I need to keep her going as much as she needs to be on the road.

OK, allow me to address something before this gets out of hand.

And this WILL sound egotistical, but it is only the truth.

1. My personal rule is to not ridicule anyone until I see that they deserve it. I'm perfectly content to help new guys, in fact I enjoy it. I find a lot of new guys more appreciative and more eager to learn than some of the "seasoned" guys who are set in their ways.

2. If you come in here asking for help, and I give you help, and you argue with me about it, please understand that you need me more than I need you. Remember, you came asking for MY expertise, which I am happy to give out, witout charge, but when you think you know it all, and you tell me I can't possibly right, I lose my motivation to help you out.

3. Regarding item #2, also please realize that I usually do NOT offer advice unless I am fully aware of what I am advising. I have a big enough set to admit to you "I don't know". I'd sooner tell you that, and we both learn, than you screw up your car on my assumption.

4. Regarding the hate factor around here......well, if some of the "seasoned" members would work together a little better rather than fight, we'd get farther. I have no problem with teamwork, as I have been in positions where my life depended on the ability to function as a team. Also, everyone needs to grow a pair. Quit the "my dog's better than your dog" crap. Every bit of praise on my car is the truth. So is every criticism. This best car thread annoys me. Not because I don't have the best car. It's an ego contest. My car looks alright, goes pretty good, and is incredibly reliable. Some of you would do good to learn that reliability counts. Perhaps more than a whoopee dragstrip time. If your car is reliable, it tells me that you know what you are doing with these.

5. We have too many children in this group. My favorite example is being called butthurt for wanting recognition for a meet I put together. Why would I not? I worked hard on it, I deserved it. But, others figured it would be fun to set out and intentionally hurt my feelings over it. Emag's car is another good example. I never once dissed his car......I admit, it was not to my taste, but he DID put a bit of effort into it. That should be worth something. Of course, maybe you would do good to ask yourself WHY we have two sites, and have had a fractured existence ever since *DM.

Tim

I've also seen several people banned for seemingly no reason. hell I was even banned because they thought I was someone else.

If the noobies don't get banned because the admins think they are someone that got banned several years ago. then when they try to ask questions they either get fed misinformation or ridiculed. I agree, this needs to change.

I still believe it is the car mags fault. Every time our cars get featured in a national publication, there comes an insrush of young enthusiasts out to get in whats hot for the moment. With this influx of youth also comes a lack of maturity. There are those of you whom are mature for your age and others that are grown tail men that still belong in junior high. Maybe the answer isn't keep it to your self but to keep it respectable and thoughtful. I haven't seen much animosity on here lately, but then again, I don't read all the threads either. If it doesn't seem informative or interesting I usually skip it.

Kane

i'm gone for five days and this place turns in to a warzone?? jeeze dudes, keep it together.

Huh .. funny how it was quiet for a few days there. :lol:

I do agree that some of the BS around here gets out of hand. We all have the same love/hate relationship with these damned cars! Some people need to remember that IS why we are here.

Peace be with you :)

I'm still a new member but you guys have been nuttin but nice and helpful to me and I usually know when y'all are being smartbutts. So don't listen to that guy all the regular sqc veteran members are cool as hell and some of the nicest people on forums I know.

Huh .. funny how it was quiet for a few days there. :lol:

hahaha man I never get in to fights with people or treat newbs horrible. I usually dish it out to my friends or other people that seems to be good at appreciating sarcasm. except that rusty guy, he's a jerk. :D

hahaha man I never get in to fights with people or treat newbs horrible. I usually dish it out to my friends or other people that seems to be good at appreciating sarcasm. except that rusty guy, he's a jerk. :D

Haha! there you go again

Yeah I got a kick out of you getting banned for a few. I can't remember you being out of hand. But the mods know best.

Guess I missed the shenanigans that got you booted :lol:

except that rusty guy, he's a jerk. :D

3 out of 4 random animals agree with your sentiments ;)

http://files.myopera.com/drlaunch/albums/37656/ya-srsly001.jpg

http://images.cheezburger.com/completestore/2009/9/11/128971965054502285.jpg

http://images.cheezburger.com/completestore/2009/9/13/128973448987019985.jpg

http://trollcats.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/contrarian_trollcat.jpg

Turborusty

Edited by Turborusty