KM132 - 5 Speed Strengthening Pans - More

plh

I got the dexule kit a while back, nice product. My only gripe is that the Loctite gasket maker required activator spray, which wansn't included. I used silicone gasket maker instead. Other than that, very cool.

http://distilleryimage6.ak.instagram.com/93c3ee5e834e11e2ae2a22000a1f9723_7.jpg

I got the dexule kit a while back, nice product. My only gripe is that the Loctite gasket maker required activator spray, which wansn't included. I used silicone gasket maker instead. Other than that, very cool.

http://distilleryimage6.ak.instagram.com/93c3ee5e834e11e2ae2a22000a1f9723_7.jpg

Intent is to not use the activator. The old packages of the gasket maker didn't have that stuff listed. Not sure when it appeared on the label. The stuff does dry, but very slowly. This is what we want. Thanks! Paul

• 4 weeks later...

I just installed mine this past weekend and I must say that it was easier than I thought it would be. I'm glad I did it now because the fluid was black and too thin and the gasket on the pan looked original. The transmission shifted fine when I parked it, so hopefully some fresh fluid will only make it sweeter.

My only concern is that the Loctite 518 that was provided references an activator to be applied on the mating surface which was not provided. Also, I have installed the pan and noted that the loctite that spooged out of the sides of the pan hasn't hardened. I believe this is to be expected because it only dries when there is no air present. To be safe, I've left the transmission empty for a couple days and have the fill and drain plug installed to hopefully ensure that the loctite will dry. I'm going to try to fill it with Valvoline 80w/90 tonight. Can anyone comment on their install?

I just installed mine this past weekend and I must say that it was easier than I thought it would be. I'm glad I did it now because the fluid was black and too thin and the gasket on the pan looked original. The transmission shifted fine when I parked it, so hopefully some fresh fluid will only make it sweeter.

My only concern is that the Loctite 518 that was provided references an activator to be applied on the mating surface which was not provided. Also, I have installed the pan and noted that the loctite that spooged out of the sides of the pan hasn't hardened. I believe this is to be expected because it only dries when there is no air present. To be safe, I've left the transmission empty for a couple days and have the fill and drain plug installed to hopefully ensure that the loctite will dry. I'm going to try to fill it with Valvoline 80w/90 tonight. Can anyone comment on their install?

A couple comments: 1. There is no need to use the activator in this application. This was added to the 518 labeling at some point post product release. 2. You should be using Penzoil Syncromesh - a GL4 fluid due to the brass syncros in this transmission.

Glad you are happy with our Tuffpan. Thanks!

Edited by plh

• 1 month later...
I installed mine a while ago, nice part but I agree with Alex on the Loctite activator. I let it sit for 2 days and the sealant still wiped off with a shop rag. There's good sealant products out there that don't need that long to set.

I'll update. I havent had any leaks from my transmission after logging some miles, but some of the sealant that is still around the mating surface hasn't dried. Clearly the product is working because the transmission is full and it's sealing fine, but perhaps another product should be used. Thanks again for a well machined part that will hopefully help my transmission live a long life. Edited by CaliConquestAlex

but some of the sealant that is still around the mating surface hasn't dried. Clearly the product is working because the transmission is full and it's sealing fine, but perhaps another product should be used.

I've post this info before... the 518 is an Anaerobic adhesive and does not "harden" in air. The sealing area between the pan and the transmission seals due to the lack of air when the pan is tighten with the mounting studs and nuts. This is for sure the best product for this application. Don't use the activator. Thanks!

Edited by plh

• 3 weeks later...

Just to comment on my install. I used the loctite provided and refilled the tranny right away. Never a single drop has leaked. I too was skeptical at first but apparently our friend plh knows what he is doing. Go figure :)

Top notch tranny pan!

I'd like to pick (1) of these up... (the full kit) let me see if I can get around to doing this in the next couple days, Thanx! Will probably PMya, when I'm (not @ work Shhhhh!) ;)

PLH... look'n to buy, have PM'dya to make sure there are @ least (1) still available: The KIT/88'-89' Quest? Thanx! Edited by kidjc

Went ahead & went on your site & paid for (1) KM145 19mm Pro Pan Kit. Since I hadn't received any word back either to my (2) thread posts, or my PM to you? Hopefully, there is still @ least (1) of these still available. Couldn't tell from the site. Thanx ;)

Went ahead & went on your site & paid for (1) KM145 19mm Pro Pan Kit. Since I hadn't received any word back either to my (2) thread posts, or my PM to you? Hopefully, there is still @ least (1) of these still available. Couldn't tell from the site. Thanx ;)

Yours will ship on Wednesday.