it just keeps getting worse

nathan89quest

So I woke up early today to a phone call from my landlord. He asks if I can meet with him today so we setup a time. I meet with him and he tells me I need to be out my may 10th because they are selling the house. Mind you I have rented this house since june of 03. Already has someone lined up to buy it so that's not an option. I leave his office and get a phone call from my buddy's wife. She is freaking out crying and tells me that chris (my buddy) got into a accident with my truck. That he is at the hospital and they won't tell her anything. So I head up there and he is fine a black eye and bruised ribs but he is ok. My truck on the other hand is totaled. Some 18 year old kid in a 3500 chevy ran a red light and t-boned my truck then my truck hit the stoplight evidently. On top of everything the kid has no insurance and I don't have full coverage so I'm out a truck with no compensation. And I have 31 days to find a place to live and a replacement truck to move with. So if anyone wants to trade there truck for my quest I will be posting it and all info in the next few days.

Look into the legal aspects of renting a house. Most places have laws that state the landlord can't just kick you out unless you are destroying the property. You can fight it. Legally in most places when your landlord says you gotta go, by right you have up to 120 days to vacate.

yeah. look in to "renters rights" for your state.

also, you have full legal right to take that kid to court. even if he has to pay you 200 a month for the next 10 years it's worth it. he destroyed your property through his negligence.

Wow Sorry but on the other hand,ok i know its not much but by law you will or should get $500 from the kid.Even if he has no fault lest here in mi.Now the best part i rent out houses and if you are on a lease you have any were from 12 to 24 months can not just kick you out.NOW if the bank is takening the house then you have to go.If you are renting the house you have by law 6 to 12 months,do not let this guy scare you know your stuff and ask questions hope this helps good luck.

Life tosses us many a hurdle...MANY...you'll get through it. Like Killtodie said, just stop and think things through, step by step, and ask smart family and friends for their advice and help. You will be fine, best thing, your buddy is ok.

if he's found guilty,make sure to file with the court about damages,,he will NOT get a drivers lisence back untill you are repaid if it takes 20 yrs

meaning if he's in court you be there to and get a lawyer ,he'l have to pay for the lawyer to

sue kid, find out about renters policy.

did you not have uninsured motorist insurance? its very cheap, sometimes its there on default.

take a big breathe, relax

I never even thought about uninsured motorist coverage. I will be calling my insurance agent in the morning.then calling my attorney on both matters. Thanks for the help guys

Yea, like they all said, the landlord cant just kick you out. Legally in NY anyways, he has to submit an eviction notice to the court, then once they approve it(usually takes 30 days) then you have from the day you receive it, 60 days to vacate. Like I said, check into what your state says about all this. But hey man, hang in there, we all go through some shat once in a while, believe me, I am right now. Just keep your chin up.

Just like everyone has said, the landlord can't up and boot you like that. Even an eviction takes longer than that. This guy is trying to be a douche so feel free to return the douchebaggery and force him to file all appropriate paperwork for an eviction. He obviously knew he was going to sell the place and didn't care to let you know and obviously he didn't file any paperwork or you'd have been notified. In VA even if you're only renting a room, you still can't just kick someone out.

As for the truck, sue the hex outta the kid. He obviously needs to learn a lesson about responsible driving AND he owes you for a new vehicle. He may not be able to pay for it up front BUT I'm sure the courts will give him plenty of incentive to do so in short order. The fact that he doesn't have insurance doesn't mean he's not liable for his mistake. It just means he doesn't have someone to pay for it for him right away and that it will take longer to get the $ from him. Either way you WILL get the $ from him.

I say kick the landlord and the kids crap. http://www.starquestclub.com/forum/public/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif

But for real like everyone has said look into your legal rights and you will find you are protected. If the kid is not a adult you can actually go after his parents and there insurance also if the vehicle he was driving has a lean or a second owner you can also go after them.

Your friend that was driving your truck does he have insurance on his own vehicle. My insurance covers me on any vehicle i drive even if it is not mine so if i wreck my friends car it will somehow get fixed, check and see if your buddy has insurance on his own car. If he does have you and your buddy call his insurance to see what they can do for you. But check your insurance if you are covered I know some state laws where the insurance company is doing business requires for you coverage to have the uninsured motorist coverage.

Just remember it only becomes hard if you let it get hard, it only take the leg work to make it easy check your rights.

Good luck pleas keep your head up, and the starquest family will always be here to try to help you.

• 2 weeks later...
update after talking with my attorney and landlord we came to an agreement on the housing situation. They have decided to let me buy the house. so great deal for me there :D but the truck is another story :angry: . the kid that hit it has more judgements and wage garnishments than i have ever heard of :blink: .I have filed all of my paper work to sue him. But i dont plan on seeing any money anytime soon. as for uninsured motorist coverage it wont cover the truck, but it does cover all of the medical bills for the uninsured driver. so i may endup selling or trading the quest to get a replacement truck :(

update after talking with my attorney and landlord we came to an agreement on the housing situation. They have decided to let me buy the house. so great deal for me there :D but the truck is another story :angry: . the kid that hit it has more judgements and wage garnishments than i have ever heard of :blink: .I have filed all of my paper work to sue him. But i dont plan on seeing any money anytime soon. as for uninsured motorist coverage it wont cover the truck, but it does cover all of the medical bills for the uninsured driver. so i may endup selling or trading the quest to get a replacement truck :(

In most states and child living in their parents home up to the age of 25 are still their parents responsebility. Meaning if he is under 25 and living with his parents you can sue them to get your truck fixed. It sounds like this kid needs some jail time to straighten him out if he has that many judgements against him.

In most states and child living in their parents home up to the age of 25 are still their parents responsebility. Meaning if he is under 25 and living with his parents you can sue them to get your truck fixed. It sounds like this kid needs some jail time to straighten him out if he has that many judgements against him.

This is what I was thinking....press for criminal charges against him, as some jail time might wake him up. If he had that many judgements and garnishments, I would wonder if the truck was even his. Have you looked into who's name the truck was in?

They would have HAD to look at who's name the truck was in. If no insurance was on the truck (at least in the state of VA) it's an immediate court date and mandatory minimum fine of $500 not to mention 6 months of carrying an SR-22 is REQUIRED. They don't play out in VA.