Want to have your mind blown?

Focus

No I get it. I'm just not into cameras as much as you are.

It's not about cameras. It's about nothing you saw was real. It's all computer generated and that's mind blowing.

Edited by Focus

It's not about cameras. It's about nothing you saw was real. It's all computer generated and that's mind blowing.

That part would be mind blowing if it was still 1992. CGI has been around for a looooong time. But I'm glad you liked it.

Edited by ucw458

Indeed. I shared this on a local car forum and they all really dug it so I thought folks here might as well.

I guess I was wrong.

And this CGI is very impressive even for 2010. Especially considering it's not from a studio and just some dude.

I liked it....although I will admit it is way way way beyond my capabilities, both mentally, and with hardware that I own.

Maybe one day, I can learn, but for now, I will stick to shooting live action.

Besides, doing your own stunts is fun.

Tim

that is pretty amazing, and just goes to show you how movies are made today....long gone are the days of actually filming car chases and all for movies :(

But...tis cool that that can be done :P

Just imagine when video games are able to look that real...and if all could work out...I'd like to be that one that assisted and making said games :)

Edited by strang3majik

Thanks for the link. That is absolutely amazing "photography". If (and I am not saying that it is not) that is actual CGI, then the work is both incredible and scary. It won't be too long till the ability to distinguish between images of reality and creation will have to be a trained skill.

JR

This video to me made it all the more interesting:

There were a couple parts that I could tell(the windmills) but that was amazing. Once CGI can get people down as well as the video got about 90% of everything else in that vid - actors will no longer need to be "beautiful." They'll just need to be able to speak well.

So - would that be Playstation 4 or 5?

The guy has skills no doubt about that. Is it supposed to be a video resume or something? It's a lot of random scenes that don't exactly go together or have a point....

My comments:

First, the majority of the scenes he used were not that complicated. Huge racks of books look dramatic, but you model one book, copy & paste a few hundred times, and simply alter the spine texture. The theater scene is another that looks impressive, but it's not that hard to create. You model one chair and half the theater. Mirror the theater and copy & paste the chairs and voila you have a completed theater. Same thing with tiles, bricks, etc. Still impressive, but I recognized that the scenes provided LOTS of opportunities for CG shortcuts.

The guy went DOF crazy for the 1st half of the film. We get it dude, you mastered it in After Effects.

Some of the particle effects looked off. Not sure if that was his fault or if it's a limitation of the software.

The wind turbines spun the wrong way. I see things like this all the time in these CGI films. These guys have an insane eye for detail, but can't picture how simple physics work. It really shows you that the brain has a creative part and an analytical part and that very few of us excel at both.

I was extremely impressed by the outdoor scenes with the trees. I'm guessing it was done with one or more 3DSM plugins, but however it was done I was very impressed.

The floating balls of water and floating books didn't seem to fit in with the rest of the scenes. Personally I would have left them out.

I was a 3DSMax user, but haven't touched it in about 10 years. I wasn't that impressed by the modeling & texturing. Most people with about 3-4 years of casual practice could generate that kind of stuff. The lighting on the other hand is pure art. Maybe it's Vray, After Effects, or Premiere that make it easier? I've never used those programs, but I couldn't light scenes realistically in 3DSM to save my life.

Edited by 88TSI_Rob

focus, i think the thing is that most people don't realize the type of work that's actually involved in CGI. hollywood will pay millions of dollars in man hours to a team of CGI graphics guys to spend months in production to make one CGI scene.

alex roman's work (the original video) is actually mindblowing when you consider the time and detail that one guy is doing. not a team of well paid graphics guys. but one dude, spending months and months for just a few minutes of video.

the wire frame core of the camera alone must have takes weeks, and that before you even get into texture mapping. definitely impressive.

even if you read the comments on the pages for the videos, it's filled with other 3d artists who are absolutely stunned by the work.

you post it here and people poo-poo it and have seen better.

Edited by patra_is_here

The guy has skills no doubt about that. Is it supposed to be a video resume or something? It's a lot of random scenes that don't exactly go together or have a point....

My comments:

First, the majority of the scenes he used were not that complicated. Huge racks of books look dramatic, but you model one book, copy & paste a few hundred times, and simply alter the spine texture. The theater scene is another that looks impressive, but it's not that hard to create. You model one chair and half the theater. Mirror the theater and copy & paste the chairs and voila you have a completed theater. Same thing with tiles, bricks, etc. Still impressive, but I recognized that the scenes provided LOTS of opportunities for CG shortcuts.

The guy went DOF crazy for the 1st half of the film. We get it dude, you mastered it in After Effects.

Some of the particle effects looked off. Not sure if that was his fault or if it's a limitation of the software.

The wind turbines spun the wrong way. I see things like this all the time in these CGI films. These guys have an insane eye for detail, but can't picture how simple physics work. It really shows you that the brain has a creative part and an analytical part and that very few of us excel at both.

I was extremely impressed by the outdoor scenes with the trees. I'm guessing it was done with one or more 3DSM plugins, but however it was done I was very impressed.

The floating balls of water and floating books didn't seem to fit in with the rest of the scenes. Personally I would have left them out.

I was a 3DSMax user, but haven't touched it in about 10 years. I wasn't that impressed by the modeling & texturing. Most people with about 3-4 years of casual practice could generate that kind of stuff. The lighting on the other hand is pure art. Maybe it's Vray, After Effects, or Premiere that make it easier? I've never used those programs, but I couldn't light scenes realistically in 3DSM to save my life.

Yea, of it all, I did take a step back for a moment on the film strip scene. It didn't quite add up as being all CGI so I say Bravo for that moment for it's authenticity.

I had to break away and read the comments and all they did was reinforce the CGI only attitude, so I continued watching pretty much stunned at the time spent in it all. Then the tree scenes come in, and I've always loved the trickery of Alpha-blending. Just watching the nice animations he had for the trees had me in awe, the cabin in the woods scene especially.

The balls of water also didn't add up, I can only guess like one of the comments had posted, he started to withdraw from the realism to make you break and realize that it was indeed all CGI.

Watching the breakdown of the composites is also incredible, he breaks down a couple scenes. Wireframe->Textured->Lighting->Light Bounces->DOF Effects. It's really crazy to see it all assemble and then stare at the final result.

One of the engines on his jet needs aligned better.......I'm surprised it flies straight at all.

I felt like a lot of the objects....had they been real-life objects, would have been miniature scale. Something about them made them look really small.

Turborusty

Edited by Turborusty

Its amazing what can be done and what will be done with CGI...Imagine going to see a new movie featuring Steve McQueen or a young Clint Eastwood...that is where this will eventually go..

This amount of detail could be one day be reproduced to the point if you live in New York but want a view of the Italian Alps outside a "cgi window" it could be done...

Good stuff Kyle thanks for posting it..