New TV! Woot

Kougar

I finally joined the modern times and bought myself a fairly respectable TV. Went to Best Buy last night to look at some TVs and ended up seeing a deal I couldn't pass up.

42" Panasonic Viera 720p Plasma TV WITH an XBOX 360 Elite console, plus a free game (along with the 2 it already came with) for 699.99. I decided to get Call of Duty 4: MW 2 while I was there, and also a surge protector and the necesary HDMI cable. With a 2 year plan on the TV, I walked out of the store just a hair over $1000. More than I was originally looking to initially spend, but after the xbox and is factored in, I got a pretty good deal, I think.

To compare, my old TV was a tube-style 19" that I got as a gift about 8 years ago. Maybe older...but it sucked and I lost the remove years ago too. So this TV is a HUGE upgrade for me :-D

Now I just have to find a way to get my stereo system hooked up to the xbox. The TV lacks proper audio outlets, so to listen to the stereo i'll have to run it through the XBOX - but I'll need to find some kind of converter cable or something. Not sure yet, as I haven't got to tinker with it much. But after I fine tune the little things on the TV and console, set my room up a bit different, and figure out my sound, then I'll have quite the gaming/movie set up!

Edited by Kougar

Congrats and watch for superbowl crashers...they love the big screen...

I used to have a 50" plasma 1080p back in colorado but they made a "buzz" noise above 5k feet..Better picture on the plasma but I think next time I will go LCD when in Colorado...that buzz drove me nuts...

I've had my LCD for almost 3 years and love it. I only have two complaints, one is I should have gotten a 42" instead of 50" as it is just unnecessary. Second is that it is too dark, with large windows and skylights the picture gets lost during sunny winter days no matter how light I make the picture. One reason I always find the "LCD doesn't have a black picture" amusing, I wish it wasn't so damned black.

That buzzing noise can be attributed to a crappy surge protector. I'd recomend you find a new one made by Tripplite or Monster in the $199 and up retail price. Note the retail price. Just go to an electronics store, ask for the best surge in the $200 range, write the part number down, and buy it online for 40-50% off list.

It's worth a try. Worst case scenario it doesn't work and you just return it.

Edited by RWDAddict

No, they're not........

Toshiba 46RV525R 46" 1080p LCD HDTV

The 46RV525R combines a 1080p Full HD CineSpeed LCD Display with DynaLight dynamic backlight control and a High-Res PC Input.

Only $829.99

Panasonic Viera TCP46G10 46" Plasma HDTV

Panasonic Viera TCP46G10 46" Plasma HDTV - 1080p, 1920x1080, 2000000:1 Dynamic, 40000:1 Native, 16:9

Only $1,499.95

i rest my case.....this is from tigerdirect.com

Cine speed just means 120hz technology.

Plasma has had this for a long time now, just look at the one above 600hz, so no lag in fast motion viewing. What they should really address is the pull down ratio. 99% of TV's out there offer a 3:2 pulldown ratio. What that means is the TV only put up 2 out of every 3 frames that are thrown at it. The only TV on the market that displays a true 3:3 ratio is a Pioneer Plasma. You take any LCD or heck even LED TV and compare it to a pioneer plasma and you get back to me and let me know what you think.

Plasma rules LCD drools

:P

Edited by RWDAddict

"lol" at this becoming an LCD vs Plasma debate, heh.

I realized I can hack my XBOX analog output cable (not sure if that's the right word, it's the 3 RCA output cord) to fit into the back while the HDMI cable is in there for my TV. Microsoft decided to make an enourmous casing for the male connector of that cable, so the original design doesn't allow you to run both HDMI output and RCA outputs. That's total fail if you want to run the RCA outputs to a stereo like me.

Of course, new problem arose when I tried to connect to XBOX live. Turns out my ethernet cable is kind of a POS. Getting this TV/XBOX was like starting mods on a car. Everytime you do something, you find out there's a new problem to fix, haha! Good thing it's winter...

I'd be shocked if your TV didn't have some sort of audio out. Be it digital coax, optical, or your run of the mill RCA. Double check your input/outputs on the back of the TV, it's easy to miss.

The audio out should take the audio stream from whatever your TV is currently on input wise and push it to the output as well.

Assuming you bought a Panasonic TC P42X1 this should be your input/output list. I highlighted your audio output. Now if your receiver doesn't have a optical/TOSLINK input you can buy an adapter to RCA.

By the way if you want to go through the hastle of returning your TV I could of gotten you the one I had mentioned above for $552 plus figure roughly $30-$50 for shipping. I can get a lot of consumer items as well on top of what i normally sell.

2 x HDMI input ( 19 pin HDMI Type A ) - rear

1 x composite video/audio input ( RCA phono x 3 ) - rear

2 x component video input ( RCA phono x 3 ) - rear

1 x S-Video input ( 4 pin mini-DIN ) - rear

1 x audio line-in ( RCA phono x 2 ) - rear

1 x digital audio output (optical) ( TOSLINK ) - rear

1 x composite video/audio input ( RCA phono x 3 ) - side

1 x HDMI input ( 19 pin HDMI Type A ) - side

LCD LED FTW

These things are amazing, a buddy of mine has one and they are just breathtaking. I have a 3 year old Samsung 40" LCD 720 that I thought had a good picture till I saw his. I spent days measuring and pulling wires thru the wall for all the cables and speakers but it was soooo worth it. I would recemend a good set of inwall speakers to anyone, these realy do sound great. I have yet to get the rear cieling mount 6 1/2"s in, hopefully this winter I can get up in that crawl space. Would recamend a nice powered subwoofer as well, it just pulls eveything together. I have a frankenstien I pieced together that sounds amazing with an nice old school JBL box, a 12" DVC Pyramid Pro sub and a 100w Klipsch amp mounted in the box. I prefer movies at home over the theater any day... the theater always yells at me when I show up in my underware anyway, benifits of home theaters right there :P

post-224-126046020779_thumb.jpg

Haha, if you get a "top of the line" LCD it will be pretty close to a plasma in contrast quality. My mom got a Samsung Series 8 LCD, and for a while I kept thinking it was a plasma, because it looked just the same as my Samsung plasma.

-Robert