Oil Seepage

Contsi

87 Quest ~ 70K miles.

The engine has some oil seeping (was told it killed my alternator)

I called it seepage because I may have some drips here and there on the floor, not a puddle.

I notice some towards the back of the valve cover, how big of a job to replace the gasket?

I see some on the front of the engine on top of the head gasket right where it sticks out between the head and the block,

can't tell if it's seeping there or coming through the valve cover gasket and puddling there. 

Oil pan and front of transmission are also oil wet, not sure if caused by above gaskets or oil pan gasket.

All gaskets are original and probably needs replacing anyway, though replacing head gasket (if needed) would be challenging for me.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks

I would start by replacing the valve cover gasket and the half-moon on the back of the head.  The VC gasket is pretty straight forward and you should be able to do that without too much trouble.  The valve cover itself is only held on by the 2 large bolts in the middle of the cover.  DO NOT over tighten them when you put the cover back down or you will crack it.  Also, get a can of CRC brake clean and try to clean up all the residue oil in the places you are describing above. Then, monitor things from there. 

If you continue to see oil you know you have additional gaskets that are old and tired.  If so, go to the oil pan gasket next.  This one is also not too difficult to replace, however (a little hint) I find it MUCH easier to remove the pan if you undo the sway bar links so you can drop the sway bar out of the way. That way the pan can drop far enough to aviod the pickup tube. 

I'm back!    https://www.enginemachineservice.com/ems/conquest.php

Clean all oil off cover, put a small amount of rtv in the cover groove,   Put cover gasket in cover,  put small amount of rtv at half moon seal   and around rear cam cap,  install cover   and  tighten alternating between bolts       torque is  4 to 5 foot lbs.   Let it set a bit before starting

Dad

8 hours ago, Contsis said:

Thanks guys…… good info

I thought that was the semi circular plug in the gasket kit.

I will order from RockAuto as advised.

The front semi-circular or "half moon" comes in the valve cover kit, just not the rear cam bore plug gasket for some strange reason...

That plug is notorious for leaking on these cars.  If you get a small mirror and hold it by the firewall you can see the condition of yours.  It's really hard to get a visual on otherwise.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...