Clutch and Flywheel removal!!!

flatty86

Hey guys,

We after finding out that my transmission was trash. I decided to change everything to TSI parts. I'm in the process of getting a lighted flywheel and transmission and stage 2 clutch... I look on the forum for instructions how to remove the clutch bolts but I’m a bit confused...He said turn the flywheel counter clockwise to remove the bolts , however is that with me facing the engine or me facing the rear of the car.. I DO NOT want to mess up the timing in this car.

P.S … Is there anything else I need to make all the TSI drivetrain work in my flatty? So far I have :

TSI flywheel, TSI Transmission, TSI driveshaft, TSI stage 2 clutch and throw-out bearing. TSI pressure plate.

Thanks for your input.

By he way below is what I found in my transmission, must have been like this when i got the car, transmission was gridning once i got the engine running.

post-25328-0-62653000-1359659670_thumb.jpg

The pressure plate bolts should come loose with a quick snap of a ratchet. They aren't torqued super tight but may be loc-tite'd on there. A little heat releases that.

Once you have the pressure plate off get a long piece of steel flat stock. a couple feet should do it. Then drill holes in the flat stock that line up with 2 of the pressure plate bolt holes in the flywheel. Bolt the flat stock to the FW using the PP bolts. Wedge that against something to hold the flywheel from turning while you take out the center flywheel to crank bolts. Use the same process to re-install the flywheel bolts.

Yuck, lost a bearing! That is trash.

Up to 87 the clutch is 225 mm, 88-89 are 240 mm so keep that in mind. Bigger is better as far as torque holding power but its more important everything matches. I believe the flattys had a different throwout bearing as well although its designated intercooled and non-intercooled. Go hear, join if you have to: http://starquest.i-x.net/viewtopic.php?t=980&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=25. Plenty of pictures of the different stuff.

Tell you something ive done that has worked well for me, is take about a 12mm socket and wedge it on the alignment dowel on the block and one of the teeth on the flywheel.. works like a charm every time

dont mind my crappy sketch, but you get the idea.. it works for loosening and tightening the bolts. just move the socket to the other side

http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd23/19cturbo/1JZ%20SWAP/AD4429B2-7B6F-4CC1-86C0-EA2B37297507-3533-00000287068984B9.jpg

Edited by 19cturbo

@ 19 that technique was awesome..... Already have taken the pressure plate and clutch out..... not the flywheels turn... :)

it really does work well.. ive done it several times now... someone showed me once and im just passing it along.

Yes it work perfect man.... Was able to get the flywheel off as well.....but of course I have a new question....One of my friends said it wasn't good to put a light flywheel in boosted cars??Why not? and what would I expect from a lightened flywheel as far as performance?

From a lightened flywheel you will have faster revs, however you will also loose some revs between shifts.. A heavier flywheel will carry more momentum between shifts but will decrease your rev speed because its going to take more energy to spin the heavier flywheel..

with that being said, i loved my 15lb flywheel

Ok guys... Finally got my used transmission out of a 87 TSI. The guy also want to sell me the aluminum flywheel,clutch and pressure plate for $200.00. I think that is a good deal considering its a stage 2 clutch and not hardly used... But i have a question... I noticed that the throwout bearing is larger than the one on my flatty... Can i use it since im using the same clutch set up that the donor car had???And also should I be changing the slave cylinder? My is no good, so I was wondering if I should go with a TSI slave Cylinder since im changing all my transmission parts to TSI... Thanks again for all your help guys. Edited by flatty86

You can rebuild the slave which is a better bet. I've got two slaves used, and both needed rebuilt anyway. Especially the TSI slave that was paired with a stronger clutch. Highly overlooked is you really should rebuild the slave if going to a stronger clutch. Old slaves just lose the seal soon after being paired with the stronger clutch.

The TO just needs to match the ball length on the trans. If I remember right, the ball that sticks out further, gets the shorter TO. The ball that is short gets the longer TO. Be sure to grab the slave rod as it is a different length too. That info isn't on the IX site last I knew. Only Indiana has that info. I made my own according to the very clear OEM info he has, and it worked great!

Used '87 trans' are usually in the worst condition with 3rd gear always grindiing if you try to shift it faster. That is where a new or rebuilt slave cyl helps tremendously too.