How many of you daily drive your Starion

bobehud

I daily drive my StarBucket all the time. Heck, it's on grocery duties on the weekend and 2 kids to school and balet practice on the weekdays. :blink: Our van took a hit a month ago and the SQ has been it 100% of the time, work, kids, school, fun, my fun, wife's fun, my 16 year old is learning on it etc.

No reason why it can't be driven daily. Properly serviced, they go just fine.

I put about 20k a year on mine I am a copier tech so I go from location to location all week long and yes it is very modded...with more mods to come..

I honestly think the reliability issues some people have is from lack of use.....

Daily Driver for two years, once I got the bugs worked out of it, it's all I drive. It has it's quirks, but that usually happens after I call myself improving something. If it wasn't so damn fast, I wouldn't have a problem with my daughter driving it daily.

lol I put my 16 year daughter to drive it!! lol She's been learning the stick shift in it, she's got it down ok, still needs practice. I want her to be able to get in any car and drive. She likes the speed :rolleyes:

lol I put my 16 year daughter to drive it!! lol She's been learning the stick shift in it, she's got it down ok, still needs practice. I want her to be able to get in any car and drive. She likes the speed :rolleyes:

Are you Mad!!! Don't let her drive the quest, she's already crashed the mini van do you want her to crash the quest too?

I honestly think the reliability issues some people have is from lack of use..... OF THEIR BRAINS.

Fixed.

I daily drive mine 100+ miles round trip for over a year now. She's a beast and she loves me as much as I love her. Together we fight the good fight on the streets of injustice. ...LOL

-Robert

I DD mine....45-50 miles a day...never an issue till now, my trans went out.

However...I think that part is related to the previous owner installing an engine, and not bolting the transmission tightly to the block.

But...engine wise....all I've done (knock wood), is install a CTS (replaced the 20 y/o stock one), and a water pump.

340K Miles as a DD since she was brandy new.

In the past 5 months I have put 18K miles on her while driving around the USA. The only problems I have had is the original OEM 5-speed trans input shaft bearing decided that it had had enough and the trans needed the bearings to be replaced (I changed the syncros just for s***'s & giggles too); the drivers door seat belt track is FUBAR, and the speedo reed switch decided that it was going to file for disability in this last trip to Tulsa from Atlanta; consequently cruise control stopped working. <_ src="%7B___base_url___%7D/uploads/emoticons/default_sad.png" alt=":(">

Other than that she runs great and doesn't burn any oil, or loose any coolant on the multiple long round trips from Atlanta to Chicago IL, Tulsa OK, San Diego CA, Sun Valley ID, and Savannah GA, and many points in between. :) :D Gotta get a replacement speedo tho; these long trips are going to be hell on my right leg w/o cruise.

For What It's Worth.

KEN

Mine is a DD for the last 5+ years. No major issues till the head gasket went last week with 290k on the odo. If maintained they are quite reliable. Mine will be back on the road later this week.

Gotta get a replacement speedo tho; these long trips are going to be hell on my right leg w/o cruise.

KEN

Ken, the magnetic reed switch assembly on StarQuests is a generic Nippondenso part - they supplied speedometer units to several manufacturers. The speedometer in my 78 Toyota Corolla has identical mechanical guts to a StarQuest unit... and I attached a StarQuest cruise control reed switch assembly to the Corolla - the screw holes were already drilled & tapped. My Corolla is now equipped with a StarQuest cruise control system - driven by Honda Accord SET/RESUME buttons since I didn't want to install the StarQuest control stalk. I'll bet you can find that reed switch on almost any late 70s through 80s Japanese car with cruise. Maybe even some US models.

Also, the glass reed switch is a generic electronic part - nobody says you have to get it from a car. Radio Shack used to sell them but I doubt they have them these days. A good electronics supply company will have them. Burglar alarms use identical reed switch assemblies as well.

What actually has failed on your car's reed switch? The switch broke? Or has it "moved" with age and is too far from the brown ring-shaped magnet on the speedometer input? Did that magnet break? I put a junkyard magnet on my Corolla: I split it with a knife and glued it to the input "flywheel" of the Corolla speedometer and it's worked fine ever since.

To get back on topic: A StarQuest is one of my daily drivers, that Corolla is the other.

mike c.