Whats your worst Work related injury?

Strikeking10

I had a interesting little injury last year and was wondering what everyone elses experiances have been. So whats the worst Injury you have had while working? pics help also.

a year ago 3 days ago i was working at my familys bowling ally during the Monday night Leauge when one of the old 1950's machines got a pin stuck in the holder, the Bowlers team asked me to go get it out so i went back to go do the simplest fix there is and just pull a lever up, well they didnt seem to tell the bowler that i was getting it and to wait, so as im getting into the machine her ball hits the backstop which resets the machine and i try getting the pin out before it cause a bigger problem, while im reaching to get the pin the machine finishes reseting and snags my left thumb. I managed to reach back and turn off the machine before the next ball came which would of ended up cutting off my thumb. so heres all i got from that night and the trip to the ER

http://s566.photobucket.com/albums/ss101/S...=0929082147.jpg

I ended up getting the equivalent of 35 stitches (was one long stitch), chisled a scar into my bone, and cut 75% of the main tendon that controls the thumb, lost about 7% movement, and lost some feeling where it hooks around.

Completely off topic, but is that how you got the nickname "strike king" ... ? :sweatingitout:

My worst work-related injury was a concussion from falling after being electrocuted by the ice machine - the jolt went from my left hand, down my arm and torso, and through my kneecap which was resting against the metal frame of the ice machine.

Moral of my story? Make sure your boss shuts off the CORRECT breaker.

Edited by Dave-O

Completely off topic, but is that how you got the nickname "strike king" ... ? :sweatingitout:

My worst work-related injury was a concussion from falling after being electrocuted by the ice machine - the jolt went from my left hand, down my arm and torso, and through my kneecap which was resting against the metal frame of the ice machine.

Moral of my story? Make sure your boss shuts off the CORRECT breaker.

No, i got Stikeking from always getting strikes when my team needed them during High School Bowling tournys.

I hate being shocked, i crossed something on the brain of one of the machines with my Pinkie and lost feeling for 6 hours from the 220 volts

I had a interesting little injury last year and was wondering what everyone elses experiances have been. So whats the worst Injury you have had while working? pics help also.

a year ago 3 days ago i was working at my familys bowling ally during the Monday night Leauge when one of the old 1950's machines got a pin stuck in the holder, the Bowlers team asked me to go get it out so i went back to go do the simplest fix there is and just pull a lever up, well they didnt seem to tell the bowler that i was getting it and to wait, so as im getting into the machine her ball hits the backstop which resets the machine and i try getting the pin out before it cause a bigger problem, while im reaching to get the pin the machine finishes reseting and snags my left thumb. I managed to reach back and turn off the machine before the next ball came which would of ended up cutting off my thumb. so heres all i got from that night and the trip to the ER

http://s566.photobucket.com/albums/ss101/S...=0929082147.jpg

I ended up getting the equivalent of 35 stitches (was one long stitch), chisled a scar into my bone, and cut 75% of the main tendon that controls the thumb, lost about 7% movement, and lost some feeling where it hooks around.

Nice job.

Working on an A2, or an AMF machine?

I'm still fully certified by Brunswick to repair A2's.......almost 6 years doing that, and the worst I got was a drunk league bowler throwing a 16 pound ball on my foot.

He resigned the league after that due to a broken knee.

Tim

Nice job.

Working on an A2, or an AMF machine?

I'm still fully certified by Brunswick to repair A2's.......almost 6 years doing that, and the worst I got was a drunk league bowler throwing a 16 pound ball on my foot.

He resigned the league after that due to a broken knee.

Tim

they were old beat down, poorly maintained AMF 82-30's(toe-cutters) lol, they now have some 82-70's in now but i dont work there anymore, its funny cause my injury was on lane 2 and on lane 1 a year before my dad had a 3/4 bolt head grab his right hand between the pinkie and ring finger and rip right through it, it looked like shredded meat. but he didnt lose any movement(lucky fool).

Edited by Strikeking10

Had my head busted wide open and a hairline fracture in my skull from a 4" drop hitch made from 3/8" plate steel on a flat bed 3500 Chevy. got 15 staples.

EDIT: Just an FYI for people, make sure people aren't removing a 450lb back bumper when you're crawling out from under it after putting shocks on. They tend to drop it.

Edited by Zack_Morris

Since I'm an engineer, I basically sit a desk all day. My work injury risks are:

* Paper cuts. Lots of those over the last 20+ years I've been working.

* bonkin my head on the desk while crawling under it to reach out-of-the-way storage bookcases.

* "pride" injuries when I screw up publicly. More common that I care to admit... maybe three times in my 20+ year career so far. :hmm3grin2orange: It's more than that...

* My doctor says I have a slight case of Carpal Tunnel Syndrome in my left arm... all day on a PC at work I guess.

So far I haven't fallen down the stairs, nor slipped on them and pranged a shinbone... yet. I almost got tossed of a motion based flight simulator once though by an inattentive co-worker. For those that don't know what these things are, they are:

Airplane cockpit mock-ups on big hydraulic arms used to train airline pilots. When in use, they sit about 20 to 30 feet above the floor so they can swing around on the hydraulic arms to mimic the accelerations a pilot feels while flying. I was leaning on the back rail of this thing, talking to the idiot... who had started a computer test without telling me. Suddenly the simulator cab tilted back to simulate a big acceleration, dumping me off the catwalk, underneath the rail. I grabbed the railing as I slipped through it and hung there for a while trying to pull myself back up.

So lousy co-workers/poor communication between co-workers seems to be a common reason for on-the-job injuries. Just goes to show you need to double-check everything; never assume.

Outside of work... well... that's another story. As careful as I am I've still:

* nearly cut off a finger in a table saw. Got the stitches to prove it. About 90% of my right index finger motion has returned; initially it was only 50% or so. I can still type normally so I don't miss that last few percent.

* Numerous cuts with chisels, screwdrivers slipping, etc. A few burns from soldering irons.

* zillions of cuts/scrapes bashing into sharp edges working on cars. While re-installing the cyl head of an 87 Conquest, tightening the exhaust manifold nuts, I was whacking the top of my hand on the edge of the stainless steel exhaust manifold gasket over and over. Very sharp thing... I didn't feel any of the cuts (6 of 'em)... I noticed "hey, where are these red droplets coming from. Oh crap, from me!" One Monday morning at work a co-worker noticed I didn't have any band-aids or new marks on my hands - "hey Mike, didn't work on any cars this weekend?" Minor cuts were pretty much a given every weekend.

mike c.

Several years ago we were spraying some out buildings on a farm that'd sat vacant for a few years. The door on one of these buildings was on a track, the kind you slide left or right to open and close. I went to push the door closed (mind you it'd been open for a very long time), and knocked down a dozen or so wasp nests that were concealed up in the track. I got covered by the little buggers. 40-50 hits and some that were much larger welts than the others. Might've been yellow jackets or something, don't know. Ended up in prompt care, then in bed with the shakes for the rest of the day and night.

I've been stung a few times since, and I'm very leery of flying critters, but it really doesn't even hurt now. Like I've built some crazy kind of resistance to it. Wierd, huh?

A broken foot from a terrible stand up parachute landing.

Numerous pulled muscles, the worst being a pulled groin.

Shallow water blackout in dive school from CO2 build up in my rebreather.

Back, knee, and foot pain.

And of course the ever present danger of being ventilated by a high velocity 7.62 caliber (or higher) bullet or dismemberment and/or death from the over pressure of an IED. Been lucky for the last 7 yrs of war, but a few close calls.

pulled 3 discs in middle of my back, numb right leg, loss of feeling in hands, and have a "drop foot" right foot. pretty much covers all of it, and i all happened in a 10 second time window! the best part of a drop foot is the abililty to speed/ and have the paperwork from the docter to get off on the ticket!

to think im just a mere 22 year old man :( it saddens me...been out of work since last november and not looking to good of a future right now...

In the past 12 years my tally is.....

grade 2 concussion X2

broken jaw X1

broken fingers X7

stitches x25 (not all at once)

torn rotator cuff x1

torn acl x2

broken hand x1 (don't punch the head, heads are hard and break your hand)

carbon monoxide exposure x1

ammonia exposure x1

chlorine gas exposure x1

some minor sprains and strains, nothing too bad.

dang most of you live'd a shelter'd life :)

Strikeking i did the same thing to my left middle finger on a flat head ford crank shaft,,

not a single stitch, i duck tape'd it back togather ,( true story )

after i woke up,(faint'd ) :)

tape'd a flat piece of wood to two fingers to keep it from moveing , wash'd it out with water from an old hose lol , it actualy heal'd with less of a scar then some cut's i have had stitch'd by a doc

as for all the cut's, broken bones etc ,it'd make a long list :)

example i stuck a 5/8's open end wrench thru my right palm "ouch"

nothing too exciting for me at work, besides ripping my right thumnail out, complete, no racks or anything.

But I worked with a guy at a milk creamery......he was removing a 6" pipe elbow (waist-high) from an unused pipe sytem, but didn't know there was a steam leak somewhere in the system. When he knocked the elbow off, superheated, pressurized steam broiled his junk. Yup, burned him bad from the knees to his nipples, and he had to have reconstructive surgery on his man-stuff.

Turborusty

Strikeking i did the same thing to my left middle finger on a flat head ford crank shaft,,

not a single stitch, i duck tape'd it back togather ,( true story )

after i woke up,(faint'd ) :)

tape'd a flat piece of wood to two fingers to keep it from moveing , wash'd it out with water from an old hose lol , it actualy heal'd with less of a scar then some cut's i have had stitch'd by a doc

as for all the cut's, broken bones etc ,it'd make a long list :)

example i stuck a 5/8's open end wrench thru my right palm "ouch"

Damn i guess i should of stayed at work and just duct taped it then we had like 20 rolls about 10 ft form me, but i like having a scar though cause ppl are always asking what happened then i can show them the pics and most go :eek1bluegreen:.