Tranny swap

heefner

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Me too Shelby. I'm shooting for the middle of Oct we have a shop sponsered import meet that I'm trying to represent for.  

As for gear ratio's, I did some digging and this is what I came up with;

88-89 Mitsu 5spd          |              86.5-93 Toyota 5spd

km132-m-cnl               |              W-58

|

1st                    3.369                                                               |                          3.28        

2nd                    2.035                                                   |                                        1.89

3rd                    1.360                                                        |                                     1.27

4th                   1.000                                                    |                                           1.00

5th                      0.856                                                        |                                       0.78

Sorry about the lack of format... it took me longer to "try to line it up than it did to find the info :-/

I have  a trany and rear end out of a 84 supra and the rear end is almost a clone of the quest diff.  It would not take much work to put one in a quest and I bet there are a lot more ratios aval. for it than the quest.

Mark T

too bad you won't get a good comparison of the 3.54 vs 3.9 here since the tranny changes the picture.

I sit on the 'other side of the fence' about these cars needing shorter gearing, *unless* you moved your powerband considerably higher up the rpm range. Sure, the throttle 'snappyness' may impress you, but don't let that fool you, it may not necessarily get u better ETs.

When I turbo'd my first corolla, the 4.30 gears instantly became garbage. Car pulled much harder with a 3.7 I swapped in, and although I gave up lsd with the 4.3s, car was far more rewarding... actually could use 1st gear.

Seen lo 11/hi 10sec GN guys go faster all accross the board just switching from 26 to 28" tall slicks.

Seems like quite a bit of hacking to get the bell to work still.

I have a website somewhere around where an aussie was pretty frustrated with a dellow bell fitment issues, I think on his lexus v8-toyota 5spd app.

If somebody wanted to pursue making bellhousings, u may be better off working with a u.s. company like transdapt, advance, kennedy, tck, etc.. I've seen a tck for a buick v6-toyota 5sp made for pickup v6 swaps, that just 'slid together' like oem, no rigging. Same applies to 4g63/w58, and it doesn't have to cost much at all.

My buddy did probably the first dsm 4g/w58 in a corolla in the states. This guy has no access to quality machinist or equipment yet I've seen him pull off numerous different manufacturer gbox and autos mated to all sorts of motors. Sharp dude, makes it look ez, so should be no prob for those with access to equipment.

No hacking involved.  The bellhousing is OEM.  As you can see here the plate fits the bell housing just fine.  The dowle pins fit snug into the w58.  There is small amount of machining that needs to be performed to the carrier to allow for larger bearing, the bellhousing needs to be machined to allow for clearance of the w58 bearing cover and nose cone needs to be cut off the front cover because the bellhousing already has one.  Some of this work was done over seas and some I did.  There are 2 bolt holes on the side of the tranny that I will use for a bracket for the slave cylinder so that issue is all but hurdled.  Have yet to verify  but spedo should fit with out troubles providing the cable will reach to the passenger side of the box.  Clutch plate I recieved came and will allow me to use my ACT pressure plate.  I just need to find enough time to work on this.  

http://www.tristarion.com/forums/uploads/post-1-1096468788.jpg

too bad you won't get a good comparison of the 3.54 vs 3.9 here since the tranny changes the picture.

In a perfect world I would swap a rebuilt 88-89 tranny in, make a few runs till it grenades and then put this in but this world aint perfect.  I don't have the time or money to do R&D for everyone.  Its pretty obvious to me that the gears are an improvement.  If nothing else it will be less wear and tear on the drive train.  

When I turbo'd my first corolla, the 4.30 gears instantly became garbage. Car pulled much harder with a 3.7 I swapped in, and although I gave up lsd with the 4.3s, car was far more rewarding... actually could use 1st gear.

Seen lo 11/hi 10sec GN guys go faster all accross the board just switching from 26 to 28" tall slicks.

Not sure which side of the fence your on... are you saying you liked the 4.3 gears or not??

first it was instantly garbage... than far more rewarding with a useable 1st gear  ???

• 2 weeks later...

This is very cool, I remember talking about this at the end of last year.  I hope it works well for ya, I know you need something that will let ya get a full 1/4 mile pass ;)

Ill be keeping up on this , im just curious.

I plan on using a NV1500 trans out of a Jeep Liberty 4x2 that has the following gear ratios.

1st  3.85

2nd  2.25

3rd   1.48

4th   1.00

5th    .80

Ill try it with the 3.54s first and then swap with the 3.90s. Im thinking that 1st gear will be a neck breaker, good thing the DOHC motor will goto 7500rpms ;D

Steven

Road report... well I didn't drive it hard as I wanted to wear in the new clutch plate and flywheel insert.  That and the fact that my radio/heater and console was flopping on the passenger side floor, it was late, I was tired and I wanted to get home to watch the Ravens wip up on the Foreskins.

The trans shifts like butter.  I will have to get some sort of short throw for it though.  I have found one but its almost as much as what I paid for the trans.

I'll try to put some miles on it this week before next saturday when I take it to the track.

I don't have any interior pics but I was able to massage the stock interior back into place. I was even able to use my old shifter boot.  The shifter ( using a supra 6 speed knob) sits pretty high almost level with the radio.  I'm still trying to find a short shifter for less than $300.  I despreately need one.  

I double checked everything on the lift last night and it looks good.  I got on it a little last night (as much as traffic would permit with 24psi  ;D ) and its sooooo much smoother than the old stock tranny.  I can't wait to get it to the track this weekend.  The whole thing cost me just under $1100 and thats at shop cost and I did all the fab work with exception to the actuall adapter plate.  The spedo even works altough I haven't had time to put it on the dyno to see how much its off.   I suspect its less than the stock tranny was with the 3.9 gears.

Excelent, I'm excited to hear all went well!

Where are you going to the track? Do you head out to Maple Grove? I have family 10 mins from there. Not trying to be a salesman or anything, but I could help you out in the shift boot area. I'm heading to the other side of PA sometime this year and I could get measurements to make you one if you are interested. I could also send you what you need if you want to measure it yourself.

This stock shift I alway though sat high. My brothers stock shifter with a MOMO know sits higher. I made a STS, but lengthing the shift rod and cutting 1" off the top and making a spacer. With the MOMO knob on my car it's the same height as my brothers.

You could do the same, it may be a little ghetto, but it works great and no one knows.

All in all, on a scale of 1-10 (10 being the hardest) how do you think this rated to do. There are alot of DIYer's and I am sure they would be interested in this.

Again, nice!

Shawn

I've been to Mapple Grove a few times. I really like that track.  I'm going to a local track www.7580dragway.com  near Fredrick MD this weekend.  Our shop Total Perfomance is sponsering an import race on Saturday.  Thats why I had to hussle to get the tranny in.  My boss helps me out with parts and dyno time.  I told him I would do my best to promet the shop at the race and I didn't feel I could do that with my tranny pukeing its guts.  Hence the no time to F' off aproach to the whole thing.

I don't know if I could rate it on a scale of 1-10 as each person has thier own opinions on whats hard and whats not.  Once the plate was installed aside from beating the trans tunnle in to make room for the slave cylinder it installed just like any other tranny.  I did have the tranny in and out of the car probably 10 times checking clearances and making adjustments.  Putting the tranny in with the clutch installed without an alingment tool was a little tricky.  The hard est part was the slave cylinder bracket and figureing out the easiest way to connect the slave cylinder rod to a flat release arm.  Once I had a plan even that wasn't difficult.  If you can weld,  and operate a drill, then the cross member mount shouldn't be difficult either.   I guess you just have to be smart about what you're doing and it helped I had the advice of some great mechanic/racers/fabricators at the shop to help me along the way.  

So... when are we gonna get to see this tranny?  PICS MAN!!! I'd really like to have a stronger one in mine, as I SHOULD have enough power to break the stock one once my motor is built this winter.  I think it was about to take a dump anyway from the sound of things.