3.5" GM MAF + DSM 1G Translator on Conquest

so to make this set up complete we need

3or 3 1/2 maf,            $129.00

dsm 1g translator      $199.00

do we also need the harness with it aswell? i heard the msd 6al has a tach wire on it but if we use it on our cars it will mess up the computer or something. i say it sounds like a great upgrade and i would leave the tach signal off( just sounds ez-er) just my 2 CENTS

do we also need the harness with it aswell? i heard the msd 6al has a tach wire on it but if we use it on our cars it will mess up the computer or something. i say it sounds like a great upgrade and i would leave the tach signal off( just sounds ez-er) just my 2 CENTS

It already has the connectors to plug from the factory connector to the MAF.  Only thing is that you have trim the 1g plug a bit to get it to plug into the quest stock connector.  No biggie.  Good luck, we like ours.

- This thread has been read over 4000 times and has 135 replies????  Is this some sort of record?  Wow.

On the tech site for the MAFT they have alot of guys doing the blow through.  U need about 3-4 inches on either side of the MAF so you dont get turbulance across the sensor.  Some of them say the 3 inch MAF works better for that.  DOnt forget the 1gen and 2gen dsm use the extra wire so the MAFT can read rpm dependant and allows more adjustability (ver >2.0 ) so its even more fine tunable in that application.  If we can get a good logic level trigger signal for our car we can do the same.

• 5 months later...

It's been a while since I've played with my 'quest, but I have a question for you guys:

Does the ECU take into effect  barometer and temp readings to adjust the A/F on our cars?  I ask this because we are having issues in the 3S community with wandering A/F's due to weather or elevation changes using the MAF-T, as it sends a set value for these two readings.

Just wondering if anyone has noticed this problem with a logger or WBO2.

As far as the output signals from the MAF, I don't know about the barometric pressure but the temp signal/value is pegged at a constant certain temp (I don't recall what).

That explains changes in the A/F ratio in various temp ranges.  

From what you are saying it sounds like the Pressure output from the MAF is pegged at a fixed value too.

Raymond

It's been a while since I've played with my 'quest, but I have a question for you guys:

Does the ECU take into effect  barometer and temp readings to adjust the A/F on our cars?

Yes the Starions ECU reads the intake temp and the Barometric pressure which it combines with the vortex count to calc the amount of air mass coming in.  The GM MAF computes the air mass flow itself and the translator I assume is what takes it back to the three seperate signals. Since it keeps the two other inputs fixed and varies just the vortex count then the result of the ECUs calc should always be as correct as the info coming from the GM MAF.

What may happen perhaps is that under some conditions the ECU receives a vortex count that is out of the range it should be so it changes its calc maybe?

As far as the output signals from the MAF, I don't know about the barometric pressure but the temp signal/value is pegged at a constant certain temp (I don't recall what).

That explains changes in the A/F ratio in various temp ranges.  

From what you are saying it sounds like the Pressure output from the MAF is pegged at a fixed value too.

Raymond

We have a discussion going on here: http://www.3si.org/forum/showthread.php?t=...ge=28&pp=10

It's kinda died off in the lsat few days, but you can read a lot of info there.  TurboBob is the creator of the MAF-T and gives a LOT of insight on things.  I was just wondering if any of you guys had seen the same thing.

On stock systems (1987-1989) the pressure sender is located with the MAS

On 1985.5 I/C and 1986  it is located on the fire wall  behind the throttle body.

Pressure sender detects atmospheric pressure every 2 minutes and also detects PSI and boost switch signals  

Cold/High altitude spark advance  

3,900 ft or more above sea level = spark advanced 5 degrees

Coolant temp below 95 F (35 C) =  spark advanced 5 degrees

Our ECU corrects it's A/F ratio preset variable (mainly  at Idle and under load or WOT) through engine speed and volume of intake air which is changed by barometric pressure,  air intake temperature and throttle position.  

The rest of the time  the adjustment is made  primarily through inputs  the ECU receives from the CTS (open loop) during warm up,  or the o2 sensor (closed loop)

• 1 month later...
Just to confirm it is the GM 3' or 3.5' mas from the LT1 or LS1 powered vehicles not the regular 3'mas from lumina /caprice right? I called ramchargers and this is what they told me. Just wanted to now what you guys were using or if you heard different. My car was untunable with the non LT1 mas (too rich). When the weather gets warmer I will use the LT1 mas from a corvette that i recently purchased from on greenperformance. This is in reference to the quest not DSM BTW. Thanks

hi rayman449. i believe it is either LT1 or LS1. No other will work. Ramcharger has confirmed with me. However some have claimed different. My car ran pig rich with the non LT1/LS1 mas previously installed( lumina/caprice 3' gm mas). It was as if the translator could not control the signal from the mas.

• 3 months later...

hey I want to keep this thread going, or perhaps make another with results from the GM mas..so I'm posting another reply.

has anyone successfully done a blow through setup with the gm and translator? think there is enough room under the hood for the maf to be above the valve cover pipe? I don't know where else it should be, to get a 4" clearance on either side..unless you had an intercooler exiting the other side.

if I were to run a 3" gm mas in blow through, what size piping would you guys suggest?

I think I'm going to hold off on too many mods, and base my car's modifications around the translator...and see how that goes. thanks for any help

I vote we keep this thread running, it will be better for research purposes for others later to be able find everything about this setup in one thread as opposed to multiple.

I haven't tried blow through, sorry can't help there.

Not sure where the best place to mount it would be, but at the very least you should be able to fit a 3" between where the intercooler return piping comes through the firewall to where it makes the turn to go across the valve cover.

On the size piping, I'm running 2". I'd say go with whatever works. To keep it simple you could get a silcone adapter hose to go from your current IC pipe size to the MAF and back.

Good luck.

Raymond

• 4 weeks later...

Well guys I am resurrecting this thread because at least for engine breakin time i will be running the 3" GM MAF with version 2.02 of the MAF Translater. Jut bought the translater a few days ago. :)

Will let everyone know how it goes nce the engine is back together.

I have a friend locally running the same 3" MAF and a MAFT and his car is a daily drive with a t60-1 I think and everything works great over 350hp to the wheels in a gsx eclipse.

Jared Seymour

859-224-9551

O.k cut he crap who is really runnung this sucessfully apart from barbercb. This is the longest thread on any board...ever. and you mean to tell me nobody has this done yet? I mean with 2 secondaries. I will be the first to admit that i have the set up and it did not work for me and I am looking for suggestions/ alternatives. Those of you who have had success stop being stingy!