3.5" GM MAF + DSM 1G Translator on Conquest

Hi

Just alittle line to say the translator is still working great and I got my dig-cam

and will send some pics soon but,  Just installing some more goodies in my motor

so i'm going to wait until they are in to send some pic's ! I think you might like this

upgrade and how it was done !    

PS hope it works !

ATCLen

i can not see why more peeps are not going this route.

i can only see advantages!

so i assume that you have done this?

i'm guessing that most of the "nontechnical" types like me are waiting till most or all the bugs are ironed out, and more feedback has been posted. i for one am planning on this mod,(already have the 3"maf)and am wait ing on more info, and cash.......ok so i'm mostly waiting on the cash, but would really like some more experiances posted.

We install a lot of translators for the Buick Grand Nationals, Turbo Trans Ams, LT1/LS1 cars.

I had a turbo buick with the translator and LS1 maf. While I had custom chip, the translator plus allowed me to make additional adjustments to both idle/wot fuel and low/high rpm timing.

Since with the Buick's the aftermarket stock MAF's calibrations tend to be shotty compared to the OEM stuff, the Translator has been a godsend.

Bob Bailey, the inventor of the Translator has been quite a influence in our work. He's also responsible for the Scanmaster, LT1 to LS1 ignition coil adapter, Extender chip and other performance electronics.

My shop (www.dynotechperformance.com) can get you guys the Translators and install them if needed. We know both Mike Litcht and Bob and have been dealing with Ramchargers/Mike for many years.

Its cool to see some stuff I've been using for a long time pop up for these cars (StarQuests) and make some people happy :)

• 2 months later...

I wanted to provide an update to the results I gave on my car (87 Quest).  After tinkering a bit and resolving some other issues I have to say that without any doubt at all, this upgrade made a SIGNIFICANT difference in spoolup and power!!!!!!!  I now would say this is an upgrade for anyone with any type of setup.  I've started to develop boost creep which I now may be thinking is from the increase air flow.  Still working on that one.

Raymond

The Tach signal is used for Auxiliary injection nitrous, alcohol/H20, propane etc.. nice to have the signal if you need it.

I think the MSD tach adapter that boosted_one mentions in the FAQ forum would work for this application.

you should be able to tap the factory tach line... but, i don't know what the pulse is or if it needs to be corrected using a resistor(s).

and btw, Mike Licht at FullThrottle doesn't make them :P

Bob Bailey is the guy who invented it and builds them, Mike is just a sales guy and when things start getting technical and you try asking him "how does this work?" he can be very condescending and sugarcoat things.

If you want to know more specifics on the requirements, you can email BoB Bailey direct: bob@bailey-eng.com

• 3 weeks later...

There is a box with a few turn nobs that allows you to adjust base fuel, idle, mid, and Wide open throttle.  To get that box in the car with you, you will need to splice in wire as the provided wire lengths are not long enough.

Raymond

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
I am in the middle of rounding up parts for this. Got my sensor 3.0 inch. One question are you guys leaving the honey comb intact or tearing it out. I have seen them online either way. Anyone willing to trade me a translator for a SDS extra injector controller?

I left mine in.  I know from others experience that taking the comb out of the stock sensor cause it to not work as well.  These cars have enough going wrong with them then to do something that will potentially cause driveablility problems.  Besides, 3.5"(at least) is so much bigger than stock that I don't know there would be that much improvement anyway.  I'm sure the same is true for your 3"  Good luck!

Raymond

Here is a brain storm to get a 5v digital signal we need. I can't try this because my car doesn't run yet but maybe someone can. A GM HEI module has 4 terminals 2 from the pickup and 2 to run the coil. Tap into the 2 pickup coil wires at the distributor(StarQuest) and hook them to the 2 terminals that would normally go to the pickup coil on the GM distributor. Next would be to find a stable 5v signal probably at the TPS. Tap into that and run it into the other side of the module that would normally have a 12v coil terminal and the left over wire would go to the translator wire. In theory it should give a clean 5v digital signal in time with ignition system. This is just a brain storm and may require access to an oscilloscope to find out if the signal is usable. If it worked it would be dirt cheap and probably make the translator operate a little smoother for our application. Someone please try this out!From reading some other posts it does use the signal to "smooth" the transitions from RPM ranges.

Very interesting idea!  Whenever I get some time I will have to look into this further.  In the mean time, at least it is captured here for future reference.  Thanks for the reply.  Let us know if you try this before we do.

Raymond

• 1 month later...