3.5" GM MAF + DSM 1G Translator on Conquest

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Rayman4449 has been hella busy.  He hasn't messed with his quest much due to lack of time.

It boils down to there being no tach signal comnig from the stock igintion good enough to input into the translator.   It is possible some of the MSD units have a seperate output that would work, but nobodys tried it yet.

mm

Thanks Mike.  Yes, I'm sorry it has taken so long but, I have a family and those responsibilities have to come first.  The car is still down with a bad alternator and if I have to pull the damn thing back out, I'm going to put Tim C.'s in and be done with it.  

I have provided the results on my brother's car above, is there anything more that someone thinks I can provide?  Let me know.  To reiterate again the results on his car(highly modified), it made a TREMENDOUS difference!  Mine is just on a stock setup, and from the preliminary results, I'm not sure I saw the same drastic results as he did.  The bottom line, (as far as my opinion goes), if you plan on really doing some mods then I think it is definately a worthwhile mod.  My brother's car launched way better, you could see the difference in how far the back end dropped from the torque.  

If you are only going to run a pure stock setup, then maybe this isn't something you would want to consider because of the cost.  It doesn't bother me, cause I love the look of the setup and the fact that it gets rid of the airbox and the tempermental Mitsu MAS.  On both our cars, the Halmeter air fuel ratio meter reading was much smoother than with the Mitsu MAS, which makes me think the computer is controlling the fuel mixture more accurately.  I think there has to be some HP/spoolup benefits to going to it.  You may notice a big difference, I just don't want to get anyone's hopes up in saying this is the greatest thing and some people be disappointed.  After seeing what it did for my brother's car, it showed me the potential it has and therefore made it a no brainer for me to upgrade to.  Just understand too that I just installed a hardpipe kit on my car at the same time and think I have a leak, so I was paying as much attention to figuring that out as I was to any spoolup/hp differences.

When I get this thing going again, I'll revisit the post.  Thanks for bumping it up.  

Raymond

Just a heads up for every one following this post...

Mike Licht has moved to his own site to sell the Translators

Support for the Translator and all our other new products can be got from me at my new company www.fullthrottlespeed.com

mike@fullthrottlespeed.com for questions and tech support. phone 586 790 4406

Thanks

Mike Licht

http://www.fullthrottlespeed.com/

• 1 month later...

HI

Just installed my IC alum. tubing and a 9" K&N cone filter W/3.5 MAF and a Translator.

I used 3"tube from MAF to turbo, 2.5" tube from turbo to cooler and from cooler to

stock intake. I set the base "0" and Low 10% Mid 5% and High -10% it runs great !!

On my 02 meter about 2 marks in the green. at WOT in each gear about 4 Marks. Next I

will install BOV and a Good Boost controller not my home made one. I'm running 12 lbs

with a tep cam on a 14G and have run before 18 lbs But not on the new motor.

P.S.      Cant wait for the 2004 Max-meet in Tenn..

ATCLen

HI

Just installed my IC alum. tubing and a 9" K&N cone filter W/3.5 MAF and a Translator.

I used 3"tube from MAF to turbo, 2.5" tube from turbo to cooler and from cooler to

stock intake. I set the base "0" and Low 10% Mid 5% and High -10% it runs great !!

On my 02 meter about 2 marks in the green. at WOT in each gear about 4 Marks. Next I

will install BOV and a Good Boost controller not my home made one. I'm running 12 lbs

with a tep cam on a 14G and have run before 18 lbs But not on the new motor.

P.S. Cant wait for the 2004 Max-meet in Tenn..

ATCLen

On your stock intake what size injectors are you running?

the big question every one wants to know is if you can run two (green) secondaries an be able to idle without having the air fuel mixture too rich.

If you are not running larger injectors what are the serial numbers on the injectors you are now using; or may I suggest using some sort of fuel enhancement if you do not have any installed on your car

HI  HotRodTSI

I'll send you some pics in a day are two. ! How is everything in Va.

Tell Rita, vic said HI ! Before the Max-Meet 2004 I'm going to try to have

installed a BOV, MSD system, Fuel pres Reg. and DVD.  I did order a new Autometer

Fuel pressure gauge for the inside of the car cant wait to install it !! How is the Intake

working out With the 6 inj's

Hi Metric-man

The Inj's are the stock ones ( Black) and (green) I'm not sure on the intake system

I'm going to use . I do know it will be different than most. When I installed the MAF I almost put it after the turbo they said you can blow through it. But I didn't want to go from a 2.5" to 3.5" back to a 2.5" in my tubing. ( the new MAF 3.5 was given to me from a Dealer for my car) Cant turn down Free stuff !!!

Thanks ATCLen

A good friend is the one who told me to check this out at the Max-meet 2003

about the MAF system

I don't think so.  What I recall was there really wasn't a plug n play source for the signal.  I seem to recall thinking that if we went with an MSD box that we might be able to get a proper line level signal from that.  This winter my bro and I are planning on bringing his car back in the garage and start looking in this.  I will update this thread when/if we have anything to report.  Anyone else?

Raymond

You really don't need to worry about it anymore.  With the new ver. 1.3 out, mike (the maft creator) has said that the rpm wire is not that important.  This came about from some of the DSM guys being able to get their cars tuned easily without the wire attached.

Chris

KCDSM

nine5raptor is right ..

it isn't absolutely necessary to have the Tach input ..

Rayman4449 says his and his brother's works great without it..

the tach input is used for auxiliary fuel (nitrous, alcohol, h20) injection..

Boosted_one has a tach set up in the FAQ that works with our cars but no one has used it in this Application w/ the translator ( that I know of)