Starion Tranny Help - bolt up to large 4G64?

DSM blocks have a smaller bell pattern than the starion

I have have a starion 2.0L (non US) motor - 2.6 starion gbox bolts on.

This 2.0 4g63 SOHC is actually the parent of the DOHC 4g63. For 2.0 dohc into starion conversions abroad, it is common to just swap the guts to the rwd block, then  bolt on the dohc head. Intent was to keep driveline stock... quite a few running around

starion gearbox supply can be an issue, as I've seen guys beating the snot outta 'em, using them up 'cause they WERE cheap / available - just over the last 2 yrs. Gearbox, especially 88/9, are good units, but you get age on one end... "kids" getting a hold of cheap starions, on the other end.. and in the middle, gear-bangers trying to make an 11sec car outta a 13sec one.

>>"factory toyota bellhousing and compared it to a starion bellhousing, and it's the EXACT same bolt pattern."

now that's interesting! I got a w58 (from non turbo supra) with intentions of using behind the 2.6... I wasn't in any rush to collect it from my buddy, now I'd better grab that. I know japanese swap parts among one another... but this. I've also seen the same auto tranny used with a different bell. I guess it's up to what the automaker specifies to keep "parts bin count" (& prices) down.

turbo gen3 supra tranny is one stout looking piece

Dellow makes bellousings that adapt the Wxx 5sp to many make motors... they don't cover the 2.6 any longer. I guess if it becomes a real prob, we could get them or a us maker like kennedy to cast some

I think Plebani said that truck tranny lasted a long life of "just minutes" behind his motor

• 1 month later...

Hear is some more info to confuse the issue.   So far toyota tranys I have tryed have not  matched up to any thing mit.  But  the auto in the 87 to 89 or 90 D50 is the same basic trany as the toyota.  But you have to change the overdrive forwand to use it on a 2.6 eng.    But I have in my shop out of a 84 D50 4/4  an adapter plate that was used to go from a 2.6 engine to a 4/4 trany with a 2.0 Lt bolt pattern.   What was done is 2 plates were made with one having the 2.6 pattern the other 2.0 pattern.  The holes to bolt to the plates to the engine were drilled al the way through, and the 2Lt holes the same but they welded bolts though the plates and then welded the 2 plates together.  The early D50's used cry 904 tranys which had the 2.Lt bolt pattern.  AS far as i have fund the 54 engine has its owen pattern as does the 3LT  the 1800,2000, and 2400 all have the same bolt pattern for the trany.That is what I have in my shop as far as adapter plates sofar.

Have fun

Mark T

• 2 years later...
less interested in the 4g63 or 4g64.  I already have the w58 tranny and there is no way I'm putting in the 2.0 in my car.  I'm trying to round up any and all info on the G54B and toyota supra tranny.  Dose PiercedJD still post on any boards?

OK...

this is my chime in...

the 4G64 has 2 forms.

Narrow and wide block

The narrow, is well the same as the 4G63 narrow bolt pattern.

The wide pattern is the same as the 2.6 Mitsu.

The D50 narrow 2.0 trans bolts to the 4G63. I know, I see it about everyday. I am involved in a swap that is using the D50 2.0 trans.

Ok, thats cool, but how much power could the 2.0 d50 trans handle? 200hp,300hp 500hp?.....i doubt it!! If i could bolt the d50 trans up to the 4g63 and hold 300hp to the wheels pretty reliable, i would do the swap right now!!

well put it like this the  2.0   5 spd    is the same  length and   size as the  quest  5 spd, so it isn't gona  make any   mounting  diff  and you can  have the fun of driveing  for a while while you locate   plate and trans , ask  DJ powerhause  how  his is doing