Garrett TO4B turbo pics

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
HEY THERE ANYONE OUT THERE.MY HEAD IS A LITTLE HEAVY TRYING TO FIND A THREAD.I KNOW I WAS SEARCHING FOR A NEW TURBO AND I CAME A CROSS A ARTICLE WITH SCOTTY'S CAR CONCERNING HIS HYBRID TURBO.CAN ANYONE TELL ME WHERE THIS ARTICLE MIGHT BE MAYBE JUST LOOKING ALL OVER IT. ??? ??? ??? ???

Just got off the phone with Mike of M.I.C. and priced the exact same turbo with one exception, he recommends using the TO4E housing.  The going price  is $750 new without a core.  Sounds to good to be true to me, going for it if I can get to Chad and make sure the housing adapter installed on my header is for a split tang housing.....

• 3 years later...
I'm glad this was brought from the dead. alot of helpful info in there. this whole turbo thing is starting to make a little more sense. Thanks

At the time I was trying to show how much the exhaust needed to be opened up. So I wanted to send a point home showing the actual difference on what the stock turbo is and what *I* thought needed to be addressed.

I must say it all worked out better than I thought.

lol... the 20g tdo6 will lag, the to4 will be useless

the 1g wont work..yada yada

i remember all that nonsense, thats why it has taken so long to get our numbers up.

Monty

• 3 weeks later...
Can't wait until i install my t04b.... i decided to keep the turbo i have .70a/r cold .68a/r hot!!! Being that im not MPI yet, i will run to secondaries,afc,255 pump,FPR@10-12psi..it should be able to hold that until i go MPI...if not i'll turn down the boost... 8)

lol... the 20g tdo6 will lag, the to4 will be useless

the 1g wont work..yada yada

i remember all that nonsense, thats why it has taken so long to get our numbers up.

Monty

Ya man if I could repeat what all the naysayers have said to me it would be pretty funny.

BACKPRESSURE IS THE ROOT OF EVIL HERE!!

I really don't think some of my foresight was too far off either now that I see many peeps doing things that I had going thru my mind some years ago. But thats cool to see peeps stepping it up!!

I do think it is funny the naysayers are doing things NOW that I, and others, suggested 5+ years ago. :P

As far as that TO4B Siance that sounds like a TO4E if it has a .70 cold side ???

TO4B are like .60 'ish

OH, im sorry it's a T04S....i would post some pics if i could....Mike what exhaust do you recomend i already have a 2.5 ex......i was thinking about going with a 3in downpipe and 2.5 exhaust comb for now....Im going to have to change my down pipe anyway because this turbo has a v camp stlye fitting...much different from the 18g.... Also when are you going to turn up the boost on that t04b you have...have you tried 20psi+ yet?....The only thing I see that might be a problem(other that not being MPI) is my compression ratio which is stock 7:1...I would like to run 8:5 or 8:8 compression and less boost. that would help on spool up and pick up...I'll do that if i do another rebuild.....if.....lol....when.....

OH, im sorry it's a T04S....i would post some pics if i could....Mike what exhaust do you recomend i already have a 2.5 ex......i was thinking about going with a 3in downpipe and 2.5 exhaust comb for now....Im going to have to change my down pipe anyway because this turbo has a v camp stlye fitting...much different from the 18g.... Also when are you going to turn up the boost on that t04b you have...have you tried 20psi+ yet?....The only thing I see that might be a problem(other that not being MPI) is my compression ratio which is stock 7:1...I would like to run 8:5 or 8:8 compression and less boost. that would help on spool up and pick up...I'll do that if i do another rebuild.....if.....lol....when.....

That's a nice turbo!

I would definitely go 3"... match the entire outlet discharge to the tailpipe in uniform size. However just use what you got for now and think about it later. But would upgrade to 3" for sure.

V band is very nice, that's what I use also.

I had 2 jolts at 18psi and the car felt like a rocket. I do plan on turning the wick up for sure.

Truth be I didn't build the motor or spec the TO4B out for crazy mad boost.The turbo trims and housing choices, compression and other things were geared to have a larger (much larger than stock) turbo but have great streetability... which includes pump gas.

I run 7.55:1 compression. I spool up 10psi by 3K. 7:1 should still spool decent but a smaller exhaust A/R would aid that a bit. Not too small but an .96 A/R on that motor would be so poor.

T04S / 60-1 / stageIII / 0.63 is a very popular hybrid.

Proven excellent for street 2.6s, 2.3 fords and 1st gen 300zx.

Can do 400hp and 400 ft-lbs tq at the tires ~20psi on either motor with the right mods. Quite a few Zs dyno'd 400-450 whp/tq @18-24psi.

I got lucky and stumbled accross that exact spec turbo as shown for my 2.6. I'll stick with the integral wastegate, as the others have also.

Good turbo for the money

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/3/web/339000-339999/339751_43_full.jpg

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/3/web/339000-339999/339751_44_full.jpg

yeah that looks just like mine, only mine has a .68 a/r on the hot side, .70a/r cold and has a v band camp exhaust...tunned right and about 15psi should net me close to 300-320hp....well see...

yeah that looks just like mine, only mine has a .68 a/r on the hot side, .70a/r cold and has a v band camp exhaust...tunned right and about 15psi should net me close to 300-320hp....well see...

Ya that'll get you there.

These old style Garretts rock for the $$!!!

• 2 weeks later...
Hey guys just wondering if a 38mm tial external wastegate would be enough to tame my T04S at low boost, im thinking i need a 40mm but the biggest 2 bolt flange tial i can find is 38mm.....

Hi guys what is the difference between the the To4s 60-1 and the regular 60-1. I noticed that 0ne is 5bolt exhaust and one is 4 bolt. Is one more powerful than the other?

Also does the size of the shaft really matter. MIC turbo they 60-1's for sale but they are not 360 thrust bearing and they are small shaft. Have you seen those t3/t67 /62/61 hybrids. I would like to order one of these monsters but with all this talk about the exhaust side of the g45b motor not flowing enough these turbos will not be optimal or optimized to their full potential. This just leads me right back to considering the 60-1/.63

It really depends on the type of engine you have? Some like to run crazy amounts of boost, which is not a bad thing....More boost means more quality air.....however you have to keep in mind what your goals are.... a street/srip or just street or just strip...Thats when engine compression and turbo a/r sizes come into play... Im still in the try it and see stage, but from my research i gather that your avg. G54B likes a medium size turbine exhaust a/r(hot side) with the best so far, being a .63 a/r on the hot side.. this should give you great spool and great power on top.....I never really read about anyone complaning about the compresor side(cold side) other than the stock size turbos being to small. As far as a cold side being to big(withtin reason) haven't heard this yet...mine is .70 a/r which is huge...so i'll just have to see!!!:) You asked about 60-1....I would make sure that any turbo you buy has a 360 trust bearing, this will aid in spool up!!!! which is aways needed....:) T04S and T04B are just the type of compresor housings, the diff is that a T04S is bigger(4in inlet) than the t04B(3in inlet)...anyone correct me if im wrong :)...Im thinking a bigger compressor housing will help the g54b flow loads better... which is one of the g54b problems.....

As far as compression ratios theres good a bad....

Lower compression

Good: run more boost, for the most part easier to tune...

Bad: If you are running a large turbo off boost response is somewhat lacking

High compression

Good: Running large turbos, off boost performance is improved, less boost and make same or more power than with a lower compression at higher boost..

Bad: a bit*h to tune if you are running crazy high compression, might have to run race gas for high power g54b's.....

In a perfect world you will want a turbo thats spec out to your goals and engine set-up... meaning if you want a low boost set-up picking a turbo thats mosts effient at lower boost(10-18psi) high boost picking a turbo more effient at (20-30psi)

I want sort of a middle ground run about 18-20 psi and make 400hp....well see!!!

I think the to4s is the one i want (20-30psi) on race gas. adding timing would help with spool as well to optimize the race gas. This would ideally be a race program on my laptop. I am talking MPI here BTW

It really depends on the type of engine you have? Some like to run crazy amounts of boost, which is not a bad thing....More boost means more quality air.....however you have to keep in mind what your goals are.... a street/srip or just street or just strip...Thats when engine compression and turbo a/r sizes come into play... Im still in the try it and see stage, but from my research i gather that your avg. G54B likes a medium size turbine exhaust a/r(hot side) with the best so far, being a .63 a/r on the hot side.. this should give you great spool and great power on top.....I never really read about anyone complaning about the compresor side(cold side) other than the stock size turbos being to small. As far as a cold side being to big(withtin reason) haven't heard this yet...mine is .70 a/r which is huge...so i'll just have to see!!!:) You asked about 60-1....I would make sure that any turbo you buy has a 360 trust bearing, this will aid in spool up!!!! which is aways needed....:) T04S and T04B are just the type of compresor housings, the diff is that a T04S is bigger(4in inlet) than the t04B(3in inlet)...anyone correct me if im wrong :)...Im thinking a bigger compressor housing will help the g54b flow loads better... which is one of the g54b problems.....

Great info there.

The TO4S acutally means, well the "S" means "Straight"

Usually when you get a TO4S the "straight" means the compressor and exhaust trims are the same size.

The TO4S housing is bigger than a TO4B.

The TO4B housing is the smallest in the T4 line and it is equal to a TDO6 housing.

Great info there.

The TO4S acutally means, well the "S" means "Straight"

Usually when you get a TO4S the "straight" means the compressor and exhaust trims are the same size.

The TO4S housing is bigger than a TO4B.

The TO4B housing is the smallest in the T4 line and it is equal to a TDO6 housing.

I wonder how my turbo will perform with the stock cam...., prolly makes butt load of tq.......Hey guys just wondering if a 38mm tial external wastegate would be enough to tame my T04S at low boost.???