SNOW!! Chains required...

Komeuppance

We got about 2-3 inches of snow here, and it is still below freezing, so all the snow that was driven on is pretty much ice now. Which means all the roads are icy, including the freeway because we don't salt the roads here... and for some reason they didn't put out gravel either.

I made it from my mom's house to Portland which is 45 miles away and back today... without chains, on the interstate which has some steep hills and dangerous downhill curves. Took forever, but it wasn't so bad... for me.

On the way back, this VW passed me, and about 30 seconds after passing me spins across all lanes and bounces into a small ditch.

I'm not in a hurry, so I pull over to help. Turns out to be a girl, who says she made it all the way from Seattle without spinning till now. So I'm trying to push, but the car is lowered with 17's and low pro z rated tires. I try to drive it out by rocking, but it's a gay automatic.

Eventually a truck pulls over, and as he's getting out of the car I see a car spinning across all three lanes, I didn't see what happened to him after that because a semi truck is trying to brake, and I see the rear trailer starting to whip out on him... towards my wife in the parked car. I guess the traffic had slowed to see the "action".

Fortunately the semi gets it under control, and I turn back and the spinning car is gone. Me and the guy easily push the car out, and the girl waves and says thank you as she's driving off.

All the reader boards said chains required, but I wasn't worried about spinning out. I was going about 30mph on the interstate, since I had no chains or studded tires. While I see these dumba**es flypast me at 45+ just cuz they're driving a 4wd. I was worried about these fools spinning out in front of me, or into me.

Chains required... FOR NOOBS!!

-Robert

BTW, I was getting sideways in a parking lot in the wife's Infiniti... almost hit full lock... LOL...

Edited by Komeuppance

Sno sux.

Yes it does.

On this topic.... just over a week ago I was passing through Ohio on my way to Detroit and hit a little snow, which quickly turned into more of an ice mix. From Cincy to Detroit on I 75, I'm getting passed left and right by OH and MI plates. A lot of which I see losing control, mostly the 4x4s (there was one I never figured out.... I see him come from the median back UP onto the freeway, spin twice while crossing the freeway through traffic, and then backwards through the lawn missing several trees and somehow safely into a rest area parking lot - lucky SOB). I had backed it down though.... especially when I saw what looked like the remnants of a Pathfinder (or similar) on it's roof.... well what was left of the roof. I'm pretty sure that anyone in the front two seats was no longer, and if there were rear seat passengers, they'd be a little more likely to have survived. That "stuff" makes you think at least for a minute. Although I probably wouldn't have slowed much when I was a teenager...... I probably should mention I was going slow in particular due to the pickup I was driving.... those tires have seen better days, and a few too many powerslides....

dc

Yeah the 4x4's loose control more often than the regular cars around here. I've never figured it out myself. My guess is when they went to the dealership to buy their SUV or truck or whatever the salesman was probobly like "this is also a 4 wheel drive unit, so it has good snow driving capabiilities..."

Translated into their heads while they drive it " this is my 4x4, there are many others like it, but this one is MINE. It's a 4x4 so I'm immune to snow, traffic, and all other driving conditions"

And then they promptly trash it in a ditch somewhere...

Yeah it does amaze me. Every year it snows all the time here because of the lake. You would think people would actuly know how to drive in the snow. The thing that erks me is if you can't do it STAY HOME, if your not willing to put the money into setting the vehical you drive up for the snow STAY HOME, If your too stupid, woried, etc STAY HOME.

Chains required, i was thinking of alice in chains :rock_band: lane :rip:

I once had a shirt with a pic of Alice from the Brady Bunch and some chains around her. That was a cool shirt.

Chains are illegal on most highways not running through the Rockies aren't they?

F off Robert........

That storm crashed through Portland and was headed straight up to Vancouver.....as soon as it hit the Columbia river, it just died.

6 miles away, in Portland, they have 4-5 inches of snow......here, we got a dusting of coconut flakes and dry-a** roads. NOTHING!!! Same elevation even.

Maybe the system coming down from Canadia on Weds. will dump us some inches here in the 'Couve. I want snow.

Turborusty

Edited by Turborusty

That is one of the reason I am in Hawaii now. I got tired of getting stuck on Vail pass every winter at least 3 times when either I had to get out chain up or the highway was shut. Keep in mind I drove 50k to 60k a year on average. my beater was a geo metro then a prizm. Even with choppy studed tires it was hell on wheels. Also colorado runs ice slicer which eats your paint and the insulation on your wiring. So rewiring my horn and radiator fans, etc... every year.

Never got in a wreck, which is miracle, but i saw more spin outs than you can imagine. Califorian + rented suv= CRASH

Actually the smog isn't that bad here. We don't really have a blanket of smog. Unless you go to east LA :P We may not get snow but being the car capital of the world there is alot of oil on the roads. Not normally a problem but the first rain of the year brings it to the surface and the roads turn into our version of black ice. Imagine a large city with most of the roads covered in black ice and everyone trying to do 80MPH. I usually call in sick that day.

You all do know that if you get some wheels off a early Ford Ranger ...Spoon on some studed snow tires ....These cars really rock in the snow and on gravel roads ....

Do not ask me how I know this ...;)

I beg to disagree with you there :lol: