This car is seriously BUCKING on me!

QUIKQUEST

Also, if you performed the "suck test" on the vacuum advance, do it again with a "mity-vac". Human lungs aren't powerful enough to provide a real test on the unit, unless the unit is very bad.

First off I'm married so no gay jokes for saying this. Although there is no way to say this without sounding gay. You don't use your lungs to do a suck test. It's hard to say exactly how I do it but I can produce 18-20 inches of vacuum by sucking on the end of a tube. I can take pictures to prove it. I've tested many vacuum accesories by sucking on a vacuum line.

First off I'm married so no gay jokes for saying this. Although there is no way to say this without sounding gay. You don't use your lungs to do a suck test. It's hard to say exactly how I do it but I can produce 18-20 inches of vacuum by sucking on the end of a tube. I can take pictures to prove it. I've tested many vacuum accesories by sucking on a vacuum line.

i bet you can suck a tennis ball through a garden hose

hahaha come on man you set yourself up for that one haha

I adjusted the fuel pressure to around 38 psi at idle. Now I tried to drive the car today and it was very cold this morning. I let the car warm up , but not that long. I tried to take off and the car fell on its face around 3000 RPM. I put my foot to the floor at this point and NOTHING!!

I could only get it back to my house barley tapping the gas pedal. It stumbles ever so slightly at idle, while it was idling i tried to move or play with some of the injector connectors to hear any audible changes in idle and there was none.

By this time the car was up to full temp and it then drove all the way thru the RPM range at any throttle with the brief bucking around 3000 or just before boost. What Gives man?????

Well I had a similiar problem with mine. When I give gave it half throttle or more it would buck one, the turbo would kick in and it would accelerate better. I pulled the fuel filter from under the hood and blew through it. Was stopped up pretty good. Not even the guy who can suck 20 inches of vacuum could suck through this lol. I replaced the filter and fired up the car. I test drove it and noted that 95% of the buck was gone and the car accelerated pretty good. I still have to get rid of the fuel filter over the tank, I'm sure its clogged. Why did they put two fuel filters on these cars anyhow? That just doesnt make any sense to me.

Well I had a similiar problem with mine. When I give gave it half throttle or more it would buck one, the turbo would kick in and it would accelerate better. I pulled the fuel filter from under the hood and blew through it. Was stopped up pretty good. Not even the guy who can suck 20 inches of vacuum could suck through this lol. I replaced the filter and fired up the car. I test drove it and noted that 95% of the buck was gone and the car accelerated pretty good. I still have to get rid of the fuel filter over the tank, I'm sure its clogged. Why did they put two fuel filters on these cars anyhow? That just doesnt make any sense to me.

The filter or strainer in the tank is absolutly nescessary. You can clean\replace it but don't remove it. It keeps the crap in your tank out of the pump. You would be suprized how small of a piece of debris will jam the fuel pump.

There's five fuel filters on these car.

1. Engine compartment, drivers side on the frame rail.

2. In-tank "sock" on the end of the pick up tube in the tank. Still available from the deal for like $7.

3. "Conical" filter in the fuel supply hose right where it meets the fuel pump. Still available, $4.

4 and 5. Above each injector in the "top hat". These ones are just a mesh screen and can only be cleaned.

And again, one person being able to create 20in.hg. with no tool only helps that one person. Unless you can travel from town to town and do it for others.

Get a mity-vac people. When was the last time you flushed your brake fluid anyways?

Edited by JustPaus_88TSi

OK I guess I have to clarify this for you guys. I'm not some special person who can pull 18-20in of vacuum by myself. Anyone can do it. Think of it this way, have you ever tried to drink a thick milkshake through a straw? You can't do it if you just try to breath in. So you close your throat and use the muscles in your mouth to get it through the straw. Do the same thing to a piece of vacuum line connected to a vacuum gauge. If you use your tounge to cover the line and suck on it a couple of times you will be suprized how much vacuum you can pull.

I didn't know about the filter in the pickup line by the pump. Now that little access door in the trunk makes sense. I thought it was a bad design that wasn't big enough to let you work on the pump. I guess it's there just to give you access to that filter. Thanks for clearing that up.

• 4 weeks later...
How important is that little filter at the pump, i threw mine away a long time ago? It was broken and i couln't find another one... I dont have near the experience these guys have but i had a prob similar to this with my 87 starion, the first and only time i cranked up the boost and it all began. it ran fine and then it would buck right at boost then take off like a bat out of hell. The problem did not go away after setting boost back to stock. and only got worse as time went on. Fuel delivery was the first thing to come to mind. Couldnt find the problem for a long time. finally i said screw it and went on with my project. Finally got my sweet a** 1 3\4 hard pipes and the problem vanished. Now i can play with the boost all i want with no hiccups, well until i turn it up too much and i get the hiccup to end all hiccups! Just a thought, dont mind me.

OK I guess I have to clarify this for you guys. I'm not some special person who can pull 18-20in of vacuum by myself. Anyone can do it. Think of it this way, have you ever tried to drink a thick milkshake through a straw? You can't do it if you just try to breath in. So you close your throat and use the muscles in your mouth to get it through the straw. Do the same thing to a piece of vacuum line connected to a vacuum gauge. If you use your tounge to cover the line and suck on it a couple of times you will be suprized how much vacuum you can pull.

Sounds like you trying to teach someone how to blow [weenies]

How important is that little filter at the pump, i threw mine away a long time ago? It was broken and i couln't find another one... I dont have near the experience these guys have but i had a prob similar to this with my 87 starion, the first and only time i cranked up the boost and it all began. it ran fine and then it would buck right at boost then take off like a bat out of hell. The problem did not go away after setting boost back to stock. and only got worse as time went on. Fuel delivery was the first thing to come to mind. Couldnt find the problem for a long time. finally i said screw it and went on with my project. Finally got my sweet a** 1 3\4 hard pipes and the problem vanished. Now i can play with the boost all i want with no hiccups, well until i turn it up too much and i get the hiccup to end all hiccups! Just a thought, dont mind me.

Maybe you had a split in the inlet to the turbo pipe. I have seen guys with masking tape on them to cover 'splits' like that was effective :rolleyes:

Anyway, vacuum leaks and boost leaks (any induction leaks) or any fuel starvation issues can cause melted pistons quick, especially if you are one of those guys that likes to turn up the boost without getting a real gauge first.

:rolleyes:

Sounds like my ex-girlfriend.

• 4 weeks later...
I bought this car about 2 weeks ago. When I bought it, it still had the same problem. Since then I've got it to boost and run pretty well. It still bucks a little around 3k. I've had to fix few vac leaks, clean connections, and a bunch of other things. I plan on cleaning the fuel filter tomorrow. Also, I noticed there is no boost control solenoid. Could this be the problem?