RX8

psu_Crash

About 6 months ago my cousin bought a 2004 RX8 and ever since then he has been bragging about how "fast" it is and don't get me wrong it is quick. He has been begging me to race him since i got the Starion back on the road just a month or so ago, but I decline since I was trying to be nice during break-in. Got about 1500 miles on it and and said let's rock!

Coming out of town and getting onto the 4 lane about 50 mph he pulls up next to me at hits it. Kinda caught me off guard (speed limit is 45 there). He quickly got a couple car lengths. Took me about 4 seconds to go by him like he wasn't moving! Looked down and the speedo was 110 ... figured time to slow down ;) It was a quick race but he had absolutely nothing for me ... ahh ... soo nice to have her back on the road :)

And this was on a very rough tune only running around 10psi boost :)

Edited by psu_Crash

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
The new RX-8 or is it called RX-9 now...I dont know but they are coming with a turbo version that should be impressive. Nice kill even though the RX-8 is one of my favorite cars...to bad it gets piss poor MPG considering how slow it is.

He claims the kit comes with a new ECU and is a Mazda authorized unit. It is supposed to be 7psi max boost. Doesn't sound worth the $2500 to me.

I tell him it's a bad idea to just slap a turbo on a factory N/A engine with stock internals, but he knows little to nothing about these things and refuses to take my advice. Hate to see him waste an engine in a nice car with less than 20k miles on it. But he is stubborn and says it is going to happen. It's a quick car it just doesn't compare to the extra 100+ HP that I am putting to the ground.

The whole rotary engine is a bit of a mystery to me even after doing some research.

• 2 weeks later...
He claims the kit comes with a new ECU and is a Mazda authorized unit. It is supposed to be 7psi max boost. Doesn't sound worth the $2500 to me.

I tell him it's a bad idea to just slap a turbo on a factory N/A engine with stock internals, but he knows little to nothing about these things and refuses to take my advice. Hate to see him waste an engine in a nice car with less than 20k miles on it. But he is stubborn and says it is going to happen. It's a quick car it just doesn't compare to the extra 100+ HP that I am putting to the ground.

The whole rotary engine is a bit of a mystery to me even after doing some research.

Stock internals. That's funny. Doesn't sound like you know much about rotaries either. However, he will need at least 12-14 psi to hit 280whp. Unless there are actually turns in the road then he's proly got you. Just my $.02.

Stock internals. That's funny. Doesn't sound like you know much about rotaries either. However, he will need at least 12-14 psi to hit 280whp. Unless there are actually turns in the road then he's proly got you. Just my $.02.

7psi will go a long way with those motors. If i'm not mistaken the car comes with 230hp stock. 7psi should fetch him 70-110 more HP depending on the tune, exhaust, and intake. Just get yourself a larger turbo that won't run out of flow in the higher RPM ranges.

yeah... they make you feel like your going fast...untill you look at the speedo. I actually just raced one in my CLS last week, a three way between me and my buddy in his rx8 and a new civic si... it was funny, smoked both of them from 60-120~ish... not bad for heavy a$$ coupe.. wish I was in my quest.... Oh yeah and rotorys are garbage...na... turbo...whatever unrealiable as k Edited by idriftjunk

The kit only claims 50 extra HP.

He just found out his @#$! of a cheating girlfriend is pregnant (although probably not his) so any $$ for his car is gone for a while.

Too bad I wanted to see what it would do with a Turbo. The thing already acts like it has one. ZERO low RPM power, but really comes alive over 4k

i am sorry toreport that the mazda rx-8 is a lump. i drive cars from auction to dealers in my spare time (my friend ownes a transport company), and twice i have driven these under powered cars once at over 100mph on 40hwy racing a 10 year old mercedes and was diappointed both times. by the way the merc wuuuuupppped my tail.

• 1 month later...

Not a bad kill, though if you wanted a 'challenge' go pick on a mildly modded FD or even a modded turbo FC if you want a fair rotary comparison. Ill grant you rotaries lack low rpm grunt, I personally daily drive a nonturbo fc every day and get better mpg out of it with minor mods than a stock RX8, and ive also owned a streetported turbo fc with a stock turbo but ported irons. The turbo fc was quite quick and was pushing better than 200whp just with the addition of porting and free flowing exhaust.

Ive unfortunately been unable to drive my own 'quest lately as it just went to the mechanic to replace the head, but from what I can tell, the starquests just run out of gearing before my mazda will...

just the two pennies from a rotard that appreciates the late 80's japanese machinery.

Don't get me wrong. I think the rotary is a beautiful work of art and science. It's just that the stock setup is seriously lacking. I have drove a few older rx-7s that would smoke my car I am sure. These were also cars with a good amount of work and tender loving care put into them. My cousin is now talking about just doing some nice porting to try and get a little more out of it without spending thousands. I told him GET AN EXHAUST AND INTAKE! ... or else all that porting doesn't do much good. Either way I will update if he ever gets the work done.

• 4 weeks later...

My friend has a rx-8...fast a** hell...itll kill allot of cars on the road...domestics for sure (mustangs, camaro, etc.) killed allot of tuners around here too....

its not stock tho.

full exhaust, intake, underdrive pullies, ignition (plugs and HI-PO wires)

were actually swaping the clutch right now..he blew it launching :/ lol

the thing that trips me out is that its 1.3 liter that puts out 230hp.....and its actually comfortable in the back seat lol...plus that thing HANDLES LIKE A MO-FO...better than corvette stock....itd be a VERRY worthy competitor for even an aftermarket starquest...stock i think itd take a quest honestly

cant wait to get another quest tho...ill show him what forced inductions all about !!!!

rx-8s are not drag cars, but on a road course they will eat your lunch and dinner. There are some good kits (Turbo) out there for these cars. Search Youtube.

This one (clip) pulls 300 WHP at 10psi. Not to shabby. But as we all know, any car can be fast!

rx-8s are not drag cars, but on a road course they will eat your lunch and dinner. There are some good kits (Turbo) out there for these cars. Search Youtube.

This one (clip) pulls 300 WHP at 10psi. Not to shabby. But as we all know, any car can be fast!

true that. Some need to realize that there are fast cars, then there are fast drivers.