The Official SQC Wheel Thread

Some good info here

http://www.1010tires.com/tech.asp

Offset

The offset of a wheel is the distance from the mounting surface of the wheel to the true centerline of the rim. A positive offset means the mounting surface of the wheel is positioned in front of the true centerline of the rim / tire assembly. This in effect brings the tire in to the fender well more. Conversely, a negative offset means the mounting surface of the wheel is behind the true centerline of the rim / tire assembly. This will cause the tire to stick out away from the vehicle.

To compare the effects of changing the offset and width of your wheels use

It's confusing because you working with subtracting negatives, i hated doing that in shcool anyways, once you wrap your head around it it's not to bad just remember negative offset is with the wheel center towards the inside (pushing the wheel farther out) positive offset is with the wheel center towards the outside (pulling it farther in). The offset negative increases when using a spacer because your 'adding' negative offset. So it works out as (+15) + (-25) = -10. Hope that helps.
This can be confusing so no questions are dumb questions Let's start with an example. If you have an oem rear 8inch wheel with offset of -10. That means, like you said, that the mounting surface is offset 10 millimeters toward the center of the car from the center of the wheel width. If you get a 10 millimeter thick piece of aluminum and add it to the mounting surface (which is the same as sandwiching it in between the hub and wheel) you have effectively MOVED the mounting surface an additional 10 millimeters further inward. creating an effective offset of -20, which makes sense right? If you add something in between...the wheel will sit further out towards the fender

OK, so the spacer has the effect of - offset because the rim sits farther out in the fender well. I can do the math, just couldn't understand why a spcaer would be a negative and I can also see now how it changes the relationship of the "mounting plate" further inward away from the midline of the rim. Thanks for clearing things up Project '83 and Frenchi934.

Now that I have the offset figured out, time forme to chime in:

Front tires are 225-40-16 Dunlop SP 9000 on 8" Riken directionals, offset is 13mm with a 6mm(1/4") spacer for a net offset of 7mm.

Rear tires are 245-45-16 Dunlop SP9000 on 8" Riken directionals, offset is 13mm, same spacer, net offset of 7mm.

Problem, can't seem to find any reasonable tire replacements in these sizes. The 225-40-16 F size is discontinued, the 245-45-16 R size I can only find in track/competition category $$$. Options for 16" rims very slim so I will be upgrading to 17" custom billet rims.

You can see them in my sig.

*Just realized I was measuring the rim width wrong, I the outside edge to edge width is 8" but the actual rim width is 7" so I'm actually running 16 x 7s all around.

Edited by pc85

You can get Nexen N3000 in 225/45R16 and 245/45R16. A little taller up front, but still shorter than the rear

225-45-16 not available anymore, I have seen 215-50-16 in other brands but I didn't want to mix and match F and R tires.

When i get around to it i'm planning on 205/55r16's front and 225/50r16's in the rear they both seem to be readily available sizes (and both figure out to 24.9 inches tall). I've got 205/55r16's all the way around now and in the rear there is plenty of room for lowering the car but in the front i'm pretty sure i'm going to be rolling and pulling my fenders a little for them to clear without rubbing i'm definately not going to go wider than 205's in the front without going shorter on the sidewall.

Yeah those sizes are available but way too skinny for my taste. Its a shame the tire options for 16" rims are fading. In a few years everyone with stock 16" rims are going to have to down size to bicycle tires or upgrade rims to 17" +. :(

Now that I have the offset figured out, time forme to chime in:

Front tires are 225-40-16 Dunlop SP 9000 on 8" Riken directionals, offset is 13mm with a 6mm spacer for a net offset of 7mm.

Rear tires are 245-45-16 Dunlop SP9000 on 8" Riken directionals, offset is 13mm no spacer.

Problem, can't seem to find any reasonable tire replacements in these sizes. The 225-40-16 F size is discontinued, the 245-45-16 R size I can only find in track/competition category $$$. Options for 16" rims very slim so I will be upgrading to 17" custom billet rims.

You can see them in my sig.

if you want a better idea of how they would fit

http://www.jonathanrowny.com/page/offset-calculator

for the rear i use 142mm for the hub to fender gap

OK, I know this isn't a Q/A forum but this thread is Flatty impaired and I can't get much info/ideas from all the fatties. So, without rolling the fenders (what ever that is?), can I fit 255-40-17 R and 225-45-17 F on a Flatty? With my current set-up, I,m pretty sure I'll have room in the R. I have 1.75" of rim clearance to the strut but only about .75" of clearance from tread to spring support laterally. I have absolutely no room to expand towards the fender, my tires are dead flush so the only wiggle room I have is inward. On the F, I used to run 215-50-16's with some slight rubbing issues at a T/D of 24.5", 225-45-17 run a T/D of 25". Is there any way I can get my max tire goal or should I step it back a notch and settle for 245-40-17 R, 215-45-17 F?

Here's a few more current pics from the album.

Restored Vintage Riken Mesh

Restore thread here:

16x8 w/15mm offset and 16x9 w/ 0mm offset

Custom paint, Duplicolor graphite wheel paint.

No spacers

D2 coilover suspension.

225/45 16 and 245/45 16 Nexen N3000's

http://www.starquestclub.com/forum/uploads/gallery/album_818/gallery_1188_818_45080.jpg

http://www.starquestclub.com/forum/uploads/gallery/album_818/gallery_1188_818_192471.jpg

http://waste-nj.com/d2/rims/half.jpg

http://waste-nj.com/d2/rims/photo1.jpg

Some shots of the old setup:

18x8.5

235x40 and 245x40

40mm spacer in back, 20mm in front

http://www.starquestclub.com/forum/uploads/1298014610/gallery_1188_818_200185.jpg

Fuze, I'm loving all those CF pieces B) and those meshies too! Personally I'd throw some spacers on there to flush em out

-Justin

Thanks. Yeah since the pics I put spacers in the back, only about 1" each side. Fronts are right there but maybe I could fit a skinny one in there.

I have a set of RPF1s 17x8 17x9 on my S2000... I may bolt them up to the SQ just to see what it looks like

Edit: Nevermind, just realized the offset on my wheels is +45 so that wont work

Edited by leesfer

Bringing RPF1's to the SQ's=P lol And Aren't those wheels up there for big mudders and offroad trucks 0_0

Yes but they got some good offsets deep dish and they look like they go with the lines of the car...similar to stock. Here are the 17" specs. They also have 18",20",22"

I pesonally don't like spoke mesh looking stuff or thin 5 spoke. It just seems like it needs to be thick deep dish 5 spoke....but that may just be my opinion and Mits.

17X8.5 5-114.3 Back sp. 4.25 off. -12

17X8.5 5-114.3 Back sp. 5.25 off. +12

17X8.5 5-114.3 Back sp. 5.7 off. +25

Edited by Laodicea