black engine oil

s_dime_man

I have noticed oil in a turbo car blackens before an NA. With the slave cyl dont get a used one you are wasting your time. just go to your parts store and pick up a rebuild kit. They are like $7.00 and only take minutes to complete.

Oil in a turbo car will blacken quickly. The high heat in the turbo, oil circulated to the turbo for lubrication and cooling have this effect.

Todays oils have a good bit of detergents in them, again, will darken the oil.

If the engine is a fresh rebuild, blow by gases around the rings until they seat will cause oil to blacken even quicker.

If the oil comes out kinda like water with little viscosity left, it's been kept at to high a temp and it's broken it down. Your oil cooler may not be functioning properly. Clogged or the thermostat on cooler is stuck closed.

Dont forget that the oil filter holds 1/2 quart, and the oil cooler holds 1/2 quart. So if you changed the oil without changing the filter and draining the oil cooler. You have 4 quarts of new oil mixed with one quart of old oil.

CALIBER 308

ok so what should my compression test psi be? gimme new motor and 150,000 mile motor numbers i will do the test in the morning.... thanks guys

Being that it is stock, I believe 115psi with a 5% margin of error ( meaning your compression can be higher or lower than that within 5% and its okay )

Others have brought up good points as well - there are a few factors that play in to it all. You may just be freaking out for no reason :lol: like I have on occasion

no one brought up ventilated versus closed crankcase with synthetic versus non-synthetic oil and how often you should change it

synthetic oil is better for turbo cartridge heat but it has less detergents for reduced foaming

the detergent is what suspends the crap and causes the oil to get darker and darker and darker

if the crap isn't suspended in the oil where do you suppose its goes?

if you use check valves your crankcase is NOT ventilated

no one brought up ventilated versus closed crankcase with synthetic versus non-synthetic oil and how often you should change it

synthetic oil is better for turbo cartridge heat but it has less detergents for reduced foaming

the detergent is what suspends the crap and causes the oil to get darker and darker and darker

if the crap isn't suspended in the oil where do you suppose its goes?

if you use check valves your crankcase is NOT ventilated

Mine turned black pretty quick, but i blame the Machine shop for not doing a good job. ;)

I just plan on changing it every 2k miles, maybe every 1500 if i run it hard, Oil and filters are cheap

Dad

Mine turned black pretty quick, but i blame the Machine shop for not doing a good job. ;)

I just plan on changing it every 2k miles, maybe every 1500 if i run it hard, Oil and filters are cheap

Dad

I change mine every 1500 miles. Im using Castrol GTX 20/50wt. And yes, I do change the oil filter every time. When I did a high performance rebuild on a 1973 Harley engine, I used Kendall super 70 racing oil 50 wt. You should see that crap come out of the can. It looks almost black, but has a greenish tint to it. Ran Aviation fuel in it (130 octane) at a 50/50 mix with 90. It was a kick in the a--.

CALIBER 308

Edited by Caliber308