Same hacker?

Robsweet87TSI

I ran a thread on here just a short while ago about my car and I noticed now my site was hacked. Just about the same time the fun started around here.

I believe we have a starquest member who besides being a #$%$#, has to much time on his hands. :rolleyes:

Not to mention he seems to be quite the accomplished hacker.

The hacking came from overseas. That is one reason we moved from that bulletin board to this site.

Jimmy

for some reason it seems most hackers of websites today seem to come from Turkey ( just something I've noticed, out of all the car sites I've been on, 3 of them were hacked by people claiming to be in turkey )

The hacking came from overseas. That is one reason we moved from that bulletin board to this site.

Jimmy

You don't know that. What you did was a Visual Trace Route which pointed you to a proxy server, which any hacker with a brain would use before hacking a site.

Forums get hacked all day long. It happens when you use open source programs and scripts. Especially when you're not updating them frequently. I knew it'd happen here the day they went to phpBB, it's notorious for it's security issues.

Why would somebody hack a car fourm?

I mean, if i was a hacker id much rather hack a site wich has credit card numbers and get some money. i wouldent be messing with people for s**** and giggles

It has to be sombody playing tricks on us.

I mean, if i was a hacker id much rather hack a site wich has credit card numbers and get some money. i wouldent be messing with people for s**** and giggles

Well easy, moderators pissed some people off and that was their way of getting back at them.

Guess we beat too many honders...

-Robert

ive read thru the digital quest section on occasion over the years and we have had a few people who i think were smart enough to have done it. in fact one comes to mind right off that left somewhat abruptly. and then on the other hand there is a couple people still among us who i think are capable. i still agree, why hack a car forum?

It was me !!! I did it !!! I am a computer God !!!

(can anybody tell me how to change batteries in my wireless mouse? :confused0024: lol )

Just kidding. I wish I was that smart. Don't you wish just one time to find out that a hacker or spammer lived in your town? You could burn their house down, blow up their car, and confess. There'd be enough public outpouring and donations to cover your legal fees.

sorta like some trojans/viruses out there. It's almost a "gang war". There are groups of hackers/virus creators and they hack a site and state oh we did this and mark another on the killboard. In some viruses the scripts have nicknames of such and such group from this country blah blah blah taking credit and such

sorta like some trojans/viruses out there. It's almost a "gang war". There are groups of hackers/virus creators and they hack a site and state oh we did this and mark another on the killboard. In some viruses the scripts have nicknames of such and such group from this country blah blah blah taking credit and such

Anyone with a web browser could hack it. It's done through cookies. phpBB would create a cookie in your web browser... this is how it authenticates. Edit a string in the cookie, phpBB now thinks you're an admin.

You don't know that. What you did was a Visual Trace Route which pointed you to a proxy server, which any hacker with a brain would use before hacking a site.

Forums get hacked all day long. It happens when you use open source programs and scripts. Especially when you're not updating them frequently. I knew it'd happen here the day they went to phpBB, it's notorious for it's security issues.

There's not a thing wrong with open source. Many open source programs are far superior to any of their closed source counterparts. And who uses Visual Trace Route?

Well easy, moderators pissed some people off and that was their way of getting back at them.

This coming from someone who not even 2 weeks ago was drawing ascii weiner art to reference the moderators here, and until the site changeover was also banned from here.

Anyone with a web browser could hack it. It's done through cookies. phpBB would create a cookie in your web browser... this is how it authenticates. Edit a string in the cookie, phpBB now thinks you're an admin.

Hmm, you seem to be pretty insightful into this whole thing, and it appears you have a thing against the mods... Do you have something you want to share with the community, Ken?

I was going to ask Kenquest if he had the knowledge to undo what was done to my pic comments on another site but now lol

Anyone, Anyone.....frye

Kenquest, didn't you use to live in Colorado?

Whatever someone did to my comments under my pics, I can't seem to remove them. First I went under edit and deleted their garbage and put the original comments back in. It looks okay for a moment however, when you go to the main page their comments are still there. Then I tried deleting the photos and uploading new ones as I thought they corrupted the whole pic file. Even that didn't work, they new pic file comments I added were instantly replaced by their garabge(Yes I changed my password)

I even thought maybe the spot the two photos were in were corrupted so I changed their location. That didn't work either, it followed the new pics to the new location. :angry:

Can anyone help me with this?

There's not a thing wrong with open source. Many open source programs are far superior to any of their closed source counterparts. And who uses Visual Trace Route?

This coming from someone who not even 2 weeks ago was drawing ascii weiner art to reference the moderators here, and until the site changeover was also banned from here.

Hmm, you seem to be pretty insightful into this whole thing, and it appears you have a thing against the mods... Do you have something you want to share with the community, Ken?

There is nothing wrong with open source other than the fact that the development is community based. Meaning any bugs glitches exploits or otherwise are all documented and open to the public. This is why your open source software packages are updated almost every night. Superior in what way exactly? As far as features and functionality you are absolutely right, open source is top notch, but unfortunately when it comes to security that just simply is not true. But since we're on the subject I would also like the note that phpBB is unfortunately a poor role model for the rest of the open source projects out there. This isn't a result of it being open source, this is just the nature of a phpBB.

ASCII wiener art, that is funny, I see you are a fan of 26liter.us. Funny, I never see you post there. Why is this? It seems to be that you guys care more about what other forums are doing, yet you describe this "hacker" as someone who has no life or nothing better to do, which is a bit of a contradiction. Now Ryddler, I do not believe I have disrespected your forum since I've been back, but it would now appear that you are trying to accuse me of something I did not do based on the fact that I am educating your under achieving moderators on something they really have no business explaining to the members of SQC. The simple fact is, you have no clue who hacked the forum, or where it came from, you will never know, no matter who you blame it on or how many people you accuse. It is no secret that someone here pissed off whoever did it. Big deal, who cares, back up your SQL database and move on. You especially won't find your answer by monitoring 26liter.us either, I am sure Gary appreciates the traffic though. Stop by and say Hi next time.

BTW: Rob yes I did, I was out in Denver about 3+ years ago.

Edited by Kenquest

based on the fact that I am educating your under achieving moderators on something they really have no business explaining to the members of SQC.

I don't believe any of the moderators have said anything to degrade you, why do you want to start this? I posted where we thought the hacking came from, you choose to take that as a chance to insult Ryddler and the Moderators here, me in particular. If you have issues with SQC, don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Jimmy Ainsworth

No one was accusing anyone of anything, Ryddler didn't even start this thread.

Looks like you just tripped over your own feet, Kenquest. :confused0024:

Now Ryddler, I do not believe I have disrespected your forum since I've been back, but it would now appear that you are trying to accuse me of something I did not do based on the fact that I am educating your under achieving moderators on something they really have no business explaining to the members of SQC. The simple fact is, you have no clue who hacked the forum, or where it came from, you will never know, no matter who you blame it on or how many people you accuse. It is no secret that someone here pissed off whoever did it.

I didn't actually accuse you of anything, and I don't believe you have any idea exactly what I know about who hacked the forum or how, so I really don't think you should be putting words in my or anyone else's mouths. You yourself have no idea what happened, so please don't try to presume you do, or even make it look like you do.

And yes, you actually disrespected the entire community here by disrespecting the moderators. Most, if not all, of the community here respects the work the moderators do, the thankless jobs they have volunteered to do, and if they pissed you off, that's because your actions in the past completely warranted the actions brought against you. You have been given a second chance to participate in this community, and calling the moderators here underachievers is not a good start on a new path.

I don't believe any of the moderators have said anything to degrade you, why do you want to start this? I posted where we thought the hacking came from, you choose to take that as a chance to insult Ryddler and the Moderators here, me in particular. If you have issues with SQC, don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Jimmy Ainsworth

Now we're playing games. So why not elaborate what exactly you meant when you said:

This is so typical, THIS is the type of stuff in which you guys get hacked. Jimmy, read the posts, I share a piece of knowledge and I get slammed by the owner of the forum and accused of being some degenerate anarchist. No, the door won't hit me on the way out, you want to ban? BAN. Banning solves everything, thats why you guys can't keep a stable forum running right? Ryddler I am not the one who needs a "new path", you're the one running into complications here.

Edited by Kenquest

and if they pissed you off, that's because your actions in the past completely warranted the actions brought against you.

Although I do respect most of the moderators here...

I have to disagree with this one.

Edited by burtons_wife