USB Touchscreen Monitors?

Think about this...my idea was to purchase a 7" or 8" USB touchscreen monitor from ebay, and hook it up to the laptop (placing the laptop under the seat or somewhere where it can get better air flow, and from there, you can do whatever your heart desires...play music, browse web wifi, have Nav system, and also look at those gauges in my megatune...and tune on the fly...! It will work great.. definitly next upgrade in my ride...I just need someone to make the console for it...What do you all think?

That seems like a pretty good idea. I never thought about doing that, but now that you did I might do the same thing. in addition to the music and tuning capabilities, it would be pretty cool to have access to things like mapquest when you are on trips as well.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Think about this...my idea was to purchase a 7" or 8" USB touchscreen monitor from ebay, and hook it up to the laptop (placing the laptop under the seat or somewhere where it can get better air flow, and from there, you can do whatever your heart desires...play music, browse web wifi, have Nav system, and also look at those gauges in my megatune...and tune on the fly...! It will work great.. definitly next upgrade in my ride...I just need someone to make the console for it...What do you all think?

I had the same idea. My intention is for turning mainly. I have an old Dell laptop to hack up and also access to another. I was thinking about the possibility of just getting a normal 7" monitor and having a wireless keyboard and mouse. Or a mouse like this.

http://www.amazon.com/ONE-FINGER-MOUSE-USB...K/dp/B000BSLTIS

I like this idea. I was thinking about installing the board where the spare tire used to be. This will also it to stay cool and out of the way. As far as being under the seat, I don't see a problem with it. I've see some incredibly NASTY, DIRTY computers customers brought in (at my last job) and they were fine. No real overheating problems.

Shawn

• 3 weeks later...

wow, I havent been on here for a while,

Anyways, the Touchscreen USB monitor makes it possible for you to tune on the fly, and also see all the standalone gauges without having a huge laptop on the passenger seat, and through it you can play all kinds of music, video and what have you...its just a carputer

• 11 months later...

This is spot on with an idea I've had in mind for quite a while. It'd be great for MPI tuning capability and could also run tons of music provided a decent soundcard could be installed into the base computer/laptop. The power supply settings would need to be modified if you wanted to get tricky and have it boot upon ignition going hot and/or via a dash-mounted switch.

I've considered testing this setup in the house with the touchscreen running a computer hooked up to the stereo, just like the dorm days. Looking for a good soundcard with dual RCA outputs over the headphone jack adapter to dual RCA. (not the best quality for sure).

There's a few car-puter sites out there, none too aweful cheap tho. I'd love to see a writeup thread of this being done and mounted cleanly....wouldn't even have to be in a SQ.

• 9 months later...

You mean something like this?

Runs off the laptop under my pass seat. Also hooked to an amp so i can control my tunes through it.

I love it! And much more convenient for tuning on the go. O yeah, wireless internet everywhere ;)

Yeah your going to want to run an amp to power the car speakers the laptop will not be enough. The USB monitor puts a drain on the laptop battary so you going to want a car charger atleast.

I run a PSP for my radio now and it rules. Another thing your going to want to run a potometer / dial control inbetween the PC and the amp to control volume easily and quickly. There is a realy nice retail one made that I am using I can give you the info on it if you want.

Yeah your going to want to run an amp to power the car speakers the laptop will not be enough. The USB monitor puts a drain on the laptop battary so you going to want a car charger atleast.

I run a PSP for my radio now and it rules. Another thing your going to want to run a potometer / dial control inbetween the PC and the amp to control volume easily and quickly. There is a realy nice retail one made that I am using I can give you the info on it if you want.

Haha, I'm doing this now... just gotta order the screen.

EDIT:

Hey Drama Queen, info on the volume control puhleaze?? (LOL...)

-Robert

Edited by Komeuppance

What your looking for is Peripheral PRC1 RCA level controller. Out of the 3 "retail" one's I have tried and the one I made myself from radioshack parts this is the best one avalable. I got the least distortion / interfearience adding it. It seems to hold up the best to regular turning. ( I spin this thing all the time as it is my main volume contorl) The only thing I have to say about it and it holds true for all of them I tried. They are super sensative it's easy to get the volume to a general level you want but if you wanted a very fine adjustment say at like a super low voluem level it's extremly sensative. Other then that it's the best solution allows me to quickly drop/raise voluem whenever I need to. Alows me to set the PSP to 75% volume and leave it there rather then hit the volume buttons like 50 times. I would always recomend setting your source at around 75% you seem to get the purest signal at that level and then just use to PRC1 to regulate to your needs.

Only issue ive had with it was when it was super cold here IE like 10* or less the volume knob was tight, and the metal cover over the plastic knob didn't shrink and the plastic did so you couldn't turn the knob because the metal cover would slip as the plastic knob inside shrunk. If you leave your fingers on it for a few seconds it warms it and it's perfect or just let the car warm.

Also if you opt for another one make absolute sure it's not a one dimentional graphic EQ type. Those will cause a dB slope raise and will often put the amp into an unsafe and distortion full "cliping" condition. This is because you are actuly affecting the voltage being pushed accross the RCA's and most amps have an acceptable range for main source input voltage. The PRC1 and simalar are basicly just pass throughs IE it won't be upping the voltage the source is putting out. So all the way up it's passing though 100% of what your source is putting out.

The reason I chose this is. So I can set my "level" on my device and leave it. In general you want to run your device at 75% to get the pureest sound. Also it's much faster to spinn a dial that is static and physical. It's a real pain if screen saveer comes on you need to click to remove it then focus on where is the volume control then adjust it. (plus it's kinda loud and some cops are a real pain about radio volume around here so it's nice to be able to drop the volume quick. The 3rd reason is I don't have to reach up I was able to mount this very near where my hand rests while driving. It also allows for much finer adjustments then the winamp / mediaplayer slider. Also if using winamp / medai player you have two volume adjustments on for the ap and one for the soundscard. It's also nice if you have cool visualization options that play with the music to not have to cause them to not show because you need to adjust the volume just slightly due to difrent volumes of diffrent MP3's

Yeah, I 75% the source as well too.

Why a hardware control?? Because sometimes you need something QUICK to lower the volume.

I plan on integrating the steering wheel controls... hehe...

-Robert

Normalizing is OK but it cuts out some tones you may want. IE super deep bass is not always louder but is seen that way by normalizing software. Also some pieces of music have parts that are suposed to be louder then other and that is all mashed together with normalizing. Anything im going to play at extremly high volumes I will just cut the MP3 myself as I know it will all be the same.

• 2 months later...
Been doing some searching for a front end for my touch screen. There are a lot of them out there with all kinds of capabilities. Currently running Media Engine and I love it! Nice big buttons for functions. Except there isn't the option to shuffle through all music. Only through one folder at a time as far as I can tell

Makes me wonder if I could use my Pioneer BT90 touch screen with megasquirt. It has an open USB connection and SD card to save data. Anybody know if this is possible? I could do a hidden mount for the laptop and run video to the USB I think

• 1 month later...

DId you ever do it?