IDKwhy's project progress -link to Jan 22th pics on pg 5

D_Venable

Looking pretty darn good! :)

Personally I'm liking how the headlight buckets are looking. I do have a quesion though. Are you going to place in a shield over the top like what the camaros had where the headlights are recessed or are you going to leave it like that? If you're going for the former I have an idea for you. Something I've been thinking about for a while now with a non-flip conversion is to use a perforated piece of metal for the backing plate. Then behind that would sit an air duct bucket that would duct the air to the engine intake. The only big problem I can see with this is that the headlights would heat up the air a bit when they're on, but the question is whether or not it's enough to make a noticeable difference.

Another question I have is whether or not the cowl induction hood clears the cowl or not when it's lifted up. Or is the hood going to be held in with pins ala dragster?

I'm not quite sure what to say about the hood at this point either. I'm going to withhold any drastic comments because as you said earlier, it's not even painted yet. And of course the paint will make a huge difference on how the lines pop out.

Anyway, the hood just looks like it's missing something. You've got this great big cowl induction on it drawing all the attention while the rest of the hood looks like it's just trying to cover up the naked bits. This is personal opinion speaking, but I think the untouched areas of the hood need a little more functionality to them in the form of louvers or vents. Nothing that'd stick out drastically because it'd draw too much attention to something not noteworthy, but something to fill in the void so to speak.

Otherwise I really like how the car is coming out. You're going places that we haven't seen before and I commend you for it. 8)

Edit: Looking at other pictures I can see that it's not as bad as I thought. There's just a few of the up close pictures focusing on the hood that make it look out of place. In the zoomed out shots it definently looks more acceptable.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for your support.

In answer to your questions-

If you look closely at some of the pictures, you will see the lexan lense sitting on the bucket. The lense will be partially painted to match the body (imagine a line following the hood front edge). They will be secured with counter sunk stainless hardware ( you can faintly see the counter sunk holes in the lexan panel if you look very closely.)

The hood cowl will be functional with a couple of gauges in the inner panel and it clears the wiper valence area. The hood has not been finished and I have a set of Aluminium Vents that will allow hot air to be vented. There will be one on each side of the hood cowl. They are finished in a brushed aluminium.

It would appear we are on the same page - conceptually!!!!

I appreciate your enthusiasm - please feel free to offer any suggestions.

IDKwhy

I'm just curious about something. I understand the "negativity" in the thread is bad. People don't need to be dogging the guy for Camaro this, Mustang that. However, I tried to bring up what I felt was constructive criticism about the hood to try to help the project out, and I get e-mails and people all upset.

Thats why I'm done doing work for others. And also why you won't see me posting up a lot of the stuff I do to Kate's car.

I guess if you have nothing nice to say don't say anything at all. Thats kinda sad

Good luck

I'm with ya man, The negativity on this board sometimes its crazy. Thats why you don't see me postin many pics of my stuff anymore. I don't know why some people love to sit around and get there jollys off by putting other peoples ideas down while there s*** is sitting outside NOT DOING ANYTHING!!! It just gets to ya sometimes. I love to just see things happen with these cars. Some I like and some I don't but I respect it all

Kurt

I'm just curious about something. I understand the "negativity" in the thread is bad. People don't need to be dogging the guy for Camaro this, Mustang that. However, I tried to bring up what I felt was constructive criticism about the hood to try to help the project out, and I get e-mails and people all upset.

Thats why I'm done doing work for others. And also why you won't see me posting up a lot of the stuff I do to Kate's car.

I guess if you have nothing nice to say don't say anything at all. Thats kinda sad

Good luck

I'm with ya man, The negativity on this board sometimes its crazy. Thats why you don't see me postin many pics of my stuff anymore. I don't know why some people love to sit around and get there jollys off by putting other peoples ideas down while there poop is sitting outside NOT DOING ANYTHING!!! It just gets to ya sometimes. I love to just see things happen with these cars. Some I like and some I don't but I respect it all

Kurt

My biggest problem is when you legitimately try to give some input that maybe the creator didn't think about. Or maybe you come up with something that might make it better. Something looks iffy, out of place or not symetrical- you bring it up trying to help in case the creator didn't see it. Now all of a sudden you get lumped in with the "negative crowd" when you were just trying to help the project look its best in the first place.

No matter- this car will turn out sweet. I bet there will be things on the car that people hate and things that people love. No matter how it turns out though you have to respect his work and ability.

No matter- this car will turn out sweet. I bet there will be things on the car that people hate and things that people love. No matter how it turns out though you have to respect his work and ability.

Yeah, you and me Burton... Where on the same page 8)

everyone that ive known that has ever had a ford, any ford has had nothing but problems with it. old and new fords. so unless everyone that ive talked to just happened to get bad cars, theres something wrong with the way Fords been making them.

Now if its a Shelby Mustang then thats a different story. :P

Must have just found the unlucky Ford owners. My son and I have owned 4 87-89 Starquests. Perhaps we've just been unlucky but hasn't a single engine managed to make it past about 60k miles without major work. (head replacement, spun bearing, balance shaft issues etc.) I've also had 4 1987-88 Thunderbird Turbocoupes. One needed a new head, one a head gasket, one a timing belt. They all needed their repairs at well over 100k miles. I had one of the engines rebuilt at 190k miles and they didn't even need to bore the block.

So... from my experience... I'd put the engineering of the Thunderbird Tubocoupe up against the Starquests ANY day.

Oh.. I still have one of each Starion and Turbocoupe.. and love them both.

IDK,

I am simply amazed at what you are accomplishing... I mean dude... there are folks that are PAID to do this type of work and can't do as well !

I simply can't wait til you get this car done ! I know art is art... but do you have a target date you are shooting for or will it just be done when it is done?

Keep sending pictures !

I miss the hard line at the bottom rear of the back quarter panel. With the rear quarter rounded the back end looks more like a 944. The rear meats do look menacing though. :twisted: Any idea what the final weight of the car will be?

Automatic???? :P T56 would look great in there. I can see the reason for going auto. Shifter Position! It would suck to have to reach in the back seat to change gears.

I've got an idea! When the body work is finished how about some fiberglass repros of the fenders and quarters. Wider wide body on a budget. :D

keep in mind that the starion motor is turbo charged, the t-bird is not. every 14.7 lbs of boost you go up one atmosphere. So a car runing at 14-15 lbs of boost is pumping 5.2 lt of air. (na = 1 atmopshere = 14.7 lbs psi. turbo/super charger running 15 lbs of preasure = 2 atmospheres). the turbo motors are under a lot more preasure then a NA motor. and it sounds like your sons a little heavy on the gas too :P The na 2.6 in my truck lasted to about 250k before we had to rebuild it. just basic mantinance prior (plugs, oil, etc.)

Ah... you are misled! My 1988 Thunderbird TURBOcoupe has a 2.3L 4cyl turbocharged engine that was factory rated at 190hp pushing 15lbs of boost in 1st and 2nd, and 10lbs in 3rd - 5th gear. (155hp for the V-8 Thunderbird Sport of the same year) The Thunderbird TURBOcoupe compares quite favorably with the 188hp of the 88 Starquest and markedly more than the 146 of the 87 Starion that I have. I have my TURBOcoupe currently running 18lbs+ of boost in all gears compared to the 7.5lbs that the Starion makes.

Comparing the engineering... FORD hands down. Can you say 4 injectors vice two? Dual POWER seats? Cruise Control on the steering wheel? No balance shafts? 8)

That being said... I have both, and enjoy them both immensely. This is the Starion's week as the daily driver. Can't wait to drive it tomorrow!

Hey guys,

I really appreciate your support.

I do however, have some BAD NEWS! In response to the concern regarding the resemblence to a Camaro- I agreed and it has been bothering me, so.....

I have been forced to ditch the "pop-up" headlight conversion.

I was inspired by the sinister look of the concept Challenger hood over headlight idea and have gone to in another direction.

I will say that this will without a doubt be the wildest change yet- I have moked up the arraingement and it is insane. I don't want to try to explain it so when I have a "placed" set up - I will share the pic - figure next week if possible! Lets just say- think of the old Nissan Skyline with the Challenge concept hood overhang.- This also solved another concern I was trying take care of- the opening I have to feed the radiator- may not provide enough flow to adequately cool that motor- so thisset up allows for an additional grill area. Also keep in mind the hood is not finished yet- I have two aluminium "grills" to install in the surface on either side of the cowl.

Just to let you know, We ended up cutting the entire fire wall out and fabricating a new one with foot boxes and made the trans & Driveshaft tunnel. I want to get the front at least Held in place before the next picture update- I hope you can understand and stay excited. I promise to have something very soon... Thanks again

Also, the plan is to have it complete by the end of May and participate in the Hot Rod Power Tour- I hope this can be a realistic goal- We have covered a lot of ground this week, it gets easier when you are not Making something from an idea but rather fitting an existing structure. (example the Trans tunnel).

As for the rear section& Spoiler- I have made another "cardboard model"- that I will post in the next day- please keep in mind- when it comes to "actually" making the "real" version of the model- I may have to change it or even ditch the idea, because of limitations I hadn't thought of when making a model of my idea. I went to making cardboard models of things I just could not draw in 3- dimensions even close to in proper scale.

You be the judge..... I value your input and as you can hopefully tell- I am using your input to evaluate my design ideas.....

Outcast,

The Lights, I am using are a single housing (rectangle shape) with two lights inside. High & low beam. The assemblies are out of an Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme 1990 model year.

The lense is one piece contoured to follow the slope of the hood and I am filling the Light "pockets in the hood. Also, The lights are slightly positioned closer together and the fender will be filled to alter it's appearance- as well, the hood will have a Chrome Moly Rod welded to the lower edge of the front lip and "shaved" in to give the appearance of Rolling over the lights, at the edge- like the challenger concept.

I really appreciate your effort here- it looks great and gives me an opprotunity to evaluate these ideas. It really is a help.

Please make these changes- if you can- I really am curious to see this, as I had to cut out the entire core support and we are in the process of making everything with 2x3 box steel - (it will look much cleaner). So, I will be delayed in getting to the Mock up phase of the lights.

Thanks again

IDKwhy

Looking good man.

I think the recessed/exposed head lights are going to look killer.

I've always wanted something to install below the bumper to hide the gas tank.

The rear diffuser on this car is going look good. The tail end of that Cuba looks awesome too.

Maybe one day there will be a group purchase for tasteful cover for the rear of our cars.

• 1 year later...
Any pics of the tailights yet and would they fit on our cars? I'm looking to replace the tailights with something a bit more sharp. I'd try converting mine to Smoked/Clear LED's but I'm not too confident in my ability to do the job right. Anyone willing to sell a pair?

• 4 weeks later...
HOW HAVE I MISSED THIS FOR SOO LONG?!?!?!??!!? IDK, you are officially a body work/ sheetmetal GOD. just letting you know. lol. I think this all started when he pulled up next to a Viper one day in a widebody Starquest, and was determined to one up the wideness of Dodge's beast. ADMIT IT IDK!!! I know thats why!! lol. No matter what your motivation, who cares, that is the sickest thing i have ever seen. Sooo many people talk for months about projects that never materialize. You didnt talk, you just worked. I wish i had the time and resources you do bro!